I have a tall cat! XL Litterbox recommendations?

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would like to get a top entry litterbox, but I can't find one that will comfortable accommodate my large male cat. He is very tall and he weighs 17.6 pounds. He is a big boy. He needs a large litterbox. Does anyone have any ideas?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably a large plastic storage bin, available at any big box hardware, will fit him. Get one that's for under the bed. They will have enough area without being too deep. I pulled one out from under the bed to look. It's about 28"x18"x7". That should fit your kitty. I got that one at Home Depot.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably a large plastic storage bin, available at any big box hardware, will fit him. Get one that's for under the bed. They will have enough area without being too deep. I pulled one out from under the bed to look. It's about 28"x18"x7". That should fit your kitty. I got that one at Home Depot.
I was just about to say the same thing. One of these should work perfectly.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Largest commercially available top entry is the modkat XL, which doesn’t have a modest price tag, and would certainly be cramped for my 20lbs cat. Depending on the frame of your boy, he may fit, but a plastic storage bin will probably prove cheaper and larger.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I switched from regular (called large) litter boxes to the plastic storage containers and love them. I have a couple of female cats that don’t stoop when they pee so the containers are nice and high.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use the Nature’s Miracle Flip top litter box. I have 2 of them and it works perfect for my long limbed male cat. He’s about 20-21 inches long (I’m not sure of his height, but he’s tall). He’s about 12 lbs, but the reviews say that 20 lb. cats have no issues.

I also have one of their corner ones too that’s even bigger, but my smaller female cat tends to pee in the corners and it’s super annoying to scoop because it gets stuck in those corners. It’s an excellent option if your male doesn’t do this. Here’s the link Nature’s Miracle Corner Box It fills almost an entire 40 lb. bag of clay litter (specifically I use Dr. Elsey’s or the Frisco brand from Chewy).

Both can be scooped without removing the tops.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the storage boxes. I got a top entry box and the entry was a little small for my larger cat. He is long and about 15/16 pounds. With the top off, which is how I use it now, it looks just like a storage box but a bit more narrow. So frankly, I could have saved money just getting a regular storage type box.