I Have A Question:

Sugasmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Cocoa, has been trying her best to get outside. It started with my next door neighbor she told me that if I get her fixed, she would take her. I got her fixed, but my neighbor decided she didn't want her. Anyway, I didn't take any pictures of her, because I wasn't going to keep her. But I fell in love with her, and all her habits. She escaped and I have nothing but this one picture of her, its not very good. I just went around neighborhood telling everyone she is solid black green eyes and very long legs. How can I get her back ??? Before she gets hit by a car, or killed by a dog????
190221_007.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry that Cocoa has gone missing! This article is full of information about how to find a lost cat:

Help! My Cat Is Lost!

In addition to the information there, be sure to search at dawn and dusk, as those are the most active times for cats. TAKE A FLASHLIGHT! That way, you can spot eyeshine easily. Cat love to hide in dark, close quarters, so peek into potential hidey-holes. Also, LOOK UP! She may have been frightened into heading up a tree.

Be sure to browse around the SOS forum a bit...there are others who have lost their cats, and there is all sorts of additional information that members have posted for them.

Perhaps most important...DO NOT GIVE UP TOO SOON! We've had cats who were missing for weeks or even months return home, safe and sound!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, please find her! I don't think it is in the article above - forgive me if it is - but, sit outside, especially at dusk and dawn, and any time in between that you possibly can. Take a can or bag of her favorite treats/food and shake it while calling her. You need to sit there for a while to allow her time to hear you and respond. So, take a chair or whatever you have to, to make yourself comfortable. Do this day/night, every day/night for days, days, days - whatever it takes.

JoyM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A few months ago my cat also slipped outside. I put up posters and walked around calling him for hours. The next day I decided to check the room over the garage because the garage door was open when he went missing and I noticed paw prints on the hood of the car that was in the garage. Even with me standing in the room and calling him, he was too scared to come to me (and I have had him for 5 years) but luckily, I saw him move behind some boxes. I had to get close enough for him to recognize my scent for him to come out of hiding. Make sure to check any small areas she can use to hide in or around the home.
When you find her, don’t get too worried about her trying to escape constantly. It can take a while for the hormones to subside but they will.

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Years ago, my sister's cat disappeared. It had been gone for 10 days, when her sons were walking through the neighborhood condos & heard a cat meowing in an empty one. My sister (also in Real Estate) had to get the key from the realtor in charge, so she could get her cat out. . . . So, check outbuildings, empty residences, pipes & drains, locked trailors & trucks, too. Also, check out the advice in this article:

"Lost Cat Behavior"
+ What to Do when Your Cat Goes Missing
Lost Cat Behavior

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sugasmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My indoor cat CoCoa is home but unhappy. She doesn't want to stay with me or her sister Heidi!!! She wants to be an outdoor cat, so bad, I hate to see her so sad, but I don't want a dog to kill her or get hit by a car. How can I get her to stay???

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WHOOO HOOOO! I'm going to give you links to a couple of articles from TCS, as well, that may help her settle down again.

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) (new places to explore INDOORS!)
9 Grass Growing Kits That Will Make Your Cat Happy (you know she was nibbling grass outside)
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside (this one may be the most help...she did spend time outdoors and misses it)
Harness And Leash Training For Cats (she could enjoy being out with you)

I thought we had an article on catios, but I can't seem to find it...however, if you are in a house rather than an apartment, a catio would allow her to be out in a safe, controlled way.

Last edited by a moderator:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WHOOO HOOOO! I saw your post about this on the other thread, and you have some good suggestions there! I'm going to give you links to a couple of articles from TCS, as well, that may help her settle down again.

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) (new places to explore INDOORS!)
9 Grass Growing Kits That Will Make Your Cat Happy (you know she was nibbling grass outside)
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside (this one may be the most help...she did spend time outdoors and misses it)

I thought we had an article on catios, but I can't seem to find it...however, if you are in a house rather than an apartment, a catio would allow her to be out in a safe, controlled way.
Yep, if you can make her a little outside area of her own that's covered and very safe for her, she'll be a happy kitty.
Do some research into this but most of them are pretty cheap to build if you are handy with that kind of thing or know someone who is. It doesn't have to be fancy or large by ground square footage, think vertical (space, with shelves and climbing things) and she'd love it.
We have two cats that were outdoor adults when we got them. One night, one of the cats got out of a window screen and ran off when we slept. The next morning he was sitting at the door and I thought he looked a lot like our cat, and I saw the screen and realized that WAS our cat. We were lucky.
When we built one, the cats bickered less, were less apt to claw furniture, and no longer sit by the door as we leave with that gleam for freedom in their eyes.
Either way, I'm glad she's back safe and sound.

Sugasmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is she showing you that she is sad? Many cats would like to see what is behind their home but still live long and happy lives indoors.
well everytime someone opens the door she runs towards door to get out. She is always staring at the doorknob like she's thinking about how to open the door. She won't play with her toys, I bought her all kinds of different little toys balls, and little bing bag toys, she'll play a few minutes then go back to the door and stares. Well she is just now starting to play with her sister.

Sugasmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WHOOO HOOOO! I'm going to give you links to a couple of articles from TCS, as well, that may help her settle down again.

Thank You I'll look at these!!!