I have a kitten! and it's hard to describe the little guy...

alphonse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My owner just got me a baby brother! His name is Kamina (Ca-Mee-Nah) and he's really cute but he's hard to describe...   His whole family has similar markings I thought maybe it was a special breed Kitty but i can't find him anywhere! They all have a butterfly-like head marking. My little brother was the only exception to that, and they all have colored tails but white body's. but they also have this unique marking on each leg that looks like elbow pads and knee pads.

If you could help tell me if my little brother is one of those special breeds instead of just a domestic like me that would be fantastic! 
No matter what he is i will I love him none the less! 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The pattern is known as Van pattern, after the Turkish Van cats.   They are quite rare.

But the pattern as such is not unusual, quite a lot of "moggies" do have it.   The pattern is fairly dominant, so van patterned moms tend to give it to their kittens.

I mean, the same pattern in the whole family is often  indicating they are purebred. With van pattern its not necessary - because of the dominance.

These elbow and knee pads are less common, not necessary for the van pattern.  So here your lil bro is  definitely especial!

Hug him from  me, please!     :)

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alphonse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So he could be a Turkish Van even though he's a short hair? That's really neat! Thank you so much for helping me!

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh he is so cute !!! :rbheart:

He not a shorthair he actually a longhair. He's to fluffy to be a shorthair. He's not going to be as long as a Persian more of a semi longhair but this is still classed as a longhair.

Oh and he does indeed have a van pattern, his colour would be called a brown tabby and white van pattern