I have a disaster room after taking care of seven kittens. Now what?

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As many have seen in my posts, I was taking care of seven kittens and a mom cat in my second bedroom. Now that they are gone, my room smells like a litter box and I am not sure how to go about cleaning it up. Skittles also had some accidents in the apartment when she was attacked twice so there is some spots of urine on my wood floor and in my other bedroom on the carpet. I tried using nature's miracle on it as directed (12hrs with a wet towel on treated area, 24hr drying) but after the fragrance went away the pee smell is still there!!
How do I get rid of this curse in my apartment? I catch whiffs of urine occasionally and it drives me crazy.
Will a rug doctor work? Do I need to just tear up the carpet? My landlord is a dumbass and would probably raise my rent if I asked to get new carpeting in my bedrooms so that's probably out of the question... I really have no idea what to do. Please help!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
You've done a big part of the job, --can you rent a steam cleaner?

There are enzymatic products that work on wood but when you have the carpet squared away you'll have a better idea of whether the wood floor needs further treatment.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might try Vetoquinol 'The Equalizer' on the carpet. Might be a good idea to steam clean it first and let it dry before trying it, just to get out the left behind Nature's Miracle residue. I used to use this with great success and liked it a lot because you do not have to saturate the area for it to remove the stain/smell. For hard surfaces, including wood, you can try Fizzion or SCOE10X.
Amazon.com : Vetoquinol Equalizer Pet Stain & Odor Remover, 20oz : Pet Odor And Stain Removers : Pet Supplies
Amazon.com : Fizzion Pet Stain and Odor Extra Strength Eliminator (10 Tablets, Extra Strength) : Pet Supplies
Amazon.com : SCOE 10X Odor Eliminator Concentrate- Makes 1 Gallon- Enzyme Cleaner for Pet Pee : Pet Supplies

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you can try using activated charcoal or lumps of plain coal i use those for graycies poop can it works pretty good. but if the padding under the carpet got soaked along with the floor boards that smell might be there for good.

Geul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure you're still in search of the solution, but I've recently discovered a product that finally helped me get rid of that odor. You can check the Planet Urine review here to find out more. I had to clean the spot several times, but it really helped. Maybe this info will be useful for someone else.