I have a couple questions....

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
What do you roast your turkey in?

We have an electric roaster that I do turkeys and hams in. I'm considering a regular roasting pan with a rack. Like this:

Not necessarily from Williams-Sonoma, but that's the roaster I'm looking at. For Thanksgiving, it's usually just Rick and me; we no longer do those 25-pound turkeys and I hate getting that huge electric roaster out of the basement. I have two ovens and I think I can work side dishes around in the ovens. What do you roast your turkeys/hams in and do you like it?

And I think I'm back to this, courtesy of Dear Richard. Do you have a toaster oven? What brand?

We have a toaster. We have the NFGs. Do we really need a toaster oven? I say no. Rick wants one. We bought one from Target several years ago and didn't really like it; we returned it the next day. We got a BB and B booklet in the mail and the Brevilles are on sale right now. He really wants one and thinks I should put the NFG 5-in-1 in the basement to eventually sell at a yard sale. :sigh: I use the 5-in-1 the most, esp for small spatchcocked chickens and for turkey breasts. But also for a myriad of other things, too. I also the 7-in-1 quite often for casseroles when I don't want to turn the oven on, as well as for meatloaf, chicken pieces, etc. So I'm really torn. He's really adamant about a toaster oven; I think it's redundant. But he doesn't say much unless it's something he really wants. And he really believes that a toaster oven does the best job on grilled cheese sandwiches. Opinions?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got rid of my toaster when it died and just use a toaster oven. I like it better. Mine is Oster brand and I got it at Kohls.

My Step-dad has the magic touch with turkeys so that's always been their job. The years we weren't together I've done everything from the crockpot to roasting bags in the good ol blue and white pan just like my grandma used. I have a smaller version though.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) I don't roast turkeys. That goes to my mom and MIL.

2) we have a fancy Cuisinart toaster oven I got at my bridal shower that also works as a small convection oven. We use it for a lot of things, and don't bother with a regular toaster (we don't have room for both). But I dont have any NFGs like you, so for us, having a toaster oven is great.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what I use
1668185177451.png

I despise cooking, and as for turkeys I cook them as little as possible, and it would be never if it weren't for husband nagging me.

I do have a toaster oven, Chefman, but I haven't even tried the air fryer part. I like it, and with just the two of us I don't have to use the actual oven on the stove very much anymore. I did a lot of research before I bought it, and it works well. I've had it a couple years.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/chefma...esets-stainless-steel/6414716.p?skuId=6414716
1668185697049.png

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 10 year old Cusinart Convection toaster oven. I really like it, since I use it more than my oven. I discovered a. couple weeks ago, that it is now not cooking evenly.. sigh.. I really like it, since it is the right size for me. I have a regular toaster, but I never use it. The few times I toast a bagel, or want raisin toast, I just use the toaster oven.

I get the BB&B brochure also. I was looking at the Breville combo. but way out of my price range. Things are so expensive. Breville is a good make. A friend bought a Cuisinart combo toaster oven, air fryer. She is pleased with it.

Pam, You have so many appliances. You could always get a small toaster oven to please Rick. It does not have to be an expenisve one. You have air fryers. If I am not prying, what is Rick thinking of using the toaster oven for? Is it just for toast? or reheating food?
Just my thoughts.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't roasted a whole turkey since DH passed away. DD isn't a big fan of turkey so I didn't make it. I just made whatever she felt like having. Now that it's the cats and me, when I cook turkey, it's just a piece. A thigh, half breast or wing. The girls adore turkey. They get so excited when I cook it. When I did roast a whole one it was in a regular roasting pan in the oven. Cooking just a piece is easier. In the NFG or yes, toaster oven.

I love toaster ovens. I never had one before I met DH. My parents never had one. Funny story. When DH and I were dating I was at his house and he wanted cheese fries. He went to put the fries in the toaster oven to cook and his mom tried to stop him, because it was, "just for toast." He pointed at it and told her that it says toaster OVEN right on it. :lol:

Toaster ovens are bigger than they used to be. There's not much they can't do. I use mine for just about everything. I cooked a frozen pizza in it today. They don't take up a lot of space and do not heat up the house like a traditional oven does.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can't help with the turkey question.

About toaster ovens, I just have a basic Black and Decker one, which I use for plain toast and toasted sandwiches, cooking my small naan bread pizzas, cooking french fries, etc. It's pretty old now, and will soon need replacing, and when I get another one I'm planning to get one with the convection oven, air fryer, etc.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When our family was bigger than it is now I always used a roaster pan for the turkey. One of the reasons I liked it was because I didn't have to clean it, i.e. just throw out the disposable aluminum pan.

As for a toaster oven, DH keeps asking me to buy one but I still like my toaster and not ready to give it up yet.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
In the oven in a stainless roaster pan. I will finish it an hour before dinner time, get it carved and into a big oval electric warmer/serving dish and it will stay there until dinner.

I don’t have a toaster oven, just don’t have space for one. But I used one during both of my kitchen remodels and they were really handy.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a large deep roasting pan that I got at WalMart many years ago.It's big enough to handle the gigundo turkeys I used to fix and works fine for the ones I fix now.There's a handle on each end so it makes it easy to get it out of the oven,and once the bird is out and resting,it's what I use to make my gravy on 2 burners.It's kinda one of those things they'll have to pry from my cold dead hands...lol.As for toaster ovens,I don't have the counter space for one,so there's that.But I have a toaster that does a nice job on bagels,english muffins,etc.,and I make my grilled cheese sandwiches in a skillet,so I really don't need one.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I have a Breville and am very happy with it. I bought it after I saw how well a friend’s Breville worked. Before that, I had an inexpensive Black & Decker that worked for years and years before it died.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't roast whole turkeys anymore, but I thought I would get a turkey breast this year. All those turkey sandwiches went to my head. I have a smaller version of your Sonoma Williams roasting pan with rack, and I will use that. I don't have a toaster oven, and never have. They seem like a duplication of other appliances, and I don't have the counter space for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys! Rick wants a toaster oven for toasted cheese sandwiches. That's it. Not toast, not anything else. Just the occasional toasted cheese sandwich. I'm doing them now in the NFG or in a skillet on the stove and have not had any problems. And notice that I said I AM DOING THEM. It just seems redundant to me. Although you know me. It's a kitchen gadget and I'd probably find other uses for it.

But I told him that if he really wants a toaster oven, I'll get rid of the 5-in-1 (although I use it more often than I would a toaster oven). He said he'd think about it.

I haven't given up on the roasting pan.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a roasting pan, with a rack and lid. I don't know the brand but it's one of the ones that are black with those little white flecks all over it...it's very useful, for many things and cleans up really well. I also have an electric roaster but I save that for the big birds or large scale side dishes.
I have a toaster and toaster oven. They are both useful for us. The toaster oven is really great for reheating things when I don't want to use the oven...some things just CAN'T be microwaved, and it's a waste of energy to heat up the oven for (ex:) 2 slices of pizza or a single serving of wedges/fries... But it's also good for things like a small batch of garlic bread or whatnot.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick told me to go ahead and get the pan. It should be here on Tuesday. And I did get it from W-S. The All-Clad pan was pretty much the same price everywhere I looked and I had a good promo code from W-S, so it worked out. I don't see me doing those big turkeys anymore, but I can still use the electric roaster for them if needed. And I also have the buffet server pan that heats up three small side dishes in the roaster, so I can use it for sides, should I have to.

Now he's being a brat about the toaster oven. I told him we should just get it, he could chose whatever he wanted and I was fine with it. We could sit down and figure it out, what kind, how big, etc. I even found a place for the 5-in-1, so we'd have room for the toaster oven on the counter. He has to "think" about it. Men!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I bought the man a toaster oven. It's a Breville. If he wants to be snotty about it, that's fine. But I got a great deal on it, plus I had a coupon code. And free shipping.