I Hate Pc's

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I left my laptop on last night when I went to bed.  I got up this morning and it was dead. The power lights were on but the PC was dead.  I have had this laptop maybe a month at  the most.  I make an appointment to take it into Best Buy.  The guy pushes the power button and it comes on.  He said it's a glitch that showed up in Windows 8 and it still shows up in Windows 10.  When it shuts down on it's own for updates it gets stuck in off.  You have to push the power button for at least 10 seconds to unfreeze it so it will come back on.  I really hate PC's.  At least I know now.  The guy was really  nice though, not condescending or anything.  He probably had a good laugh after I left though.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I left my laptop on last night when I went to bed.  I got up this morning and it was dead. The power lights were on but the PC was dead.  I have had this laptop maybe a month at  the most.  I make an appointment to take it into Best Buy.  The guy pushes the power button and it comes on.  He said it's a glitch that showed up in Windows 8 and it still shows up in Windows 10.  When it shuts down on it's own for updates it gets stuck in off.  You have to push the power button for at least 10 seconds to unfreeze it so it will come back on.  I really hate PC's.  At least I know now.  The guy was really  nice though, not condescending or anything.  He probably had a good laugh after I left though.
You had no way of knowing that and I'm sure he realized that. This is why I am staying with Windows 7. I had 8 and hated it. I bought a laptop with 7 on it and did not let the upgrade to 10 go through.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
all I have to say is: I really do like my MacBook Pro... I cannot foresee myself going back to a PC and Windows....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a little extra money when I bought the laptop that I had before and I thought about getting a Mac but I didn't.  Unfortunately that turned out to be the laptop that I spilled coffee on.  If I had bought a Mac I might have bought the protection against spills.  I don't know how much it would've been for the Mac.  I know for the one that I got it was way too much.  For 2 years protection it was almost 1/3 of what the PC cost to buy.  I guess in essence though you are getting a new machine if you spill something on it.  There are probably people who intentionally do that when it's close to the end of the protection so they can get a new machine and that drives up the cost of the coverage.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I did accidentally spill some water on my MacBook Pro a month before the iCare service ran out. I took it to the Apple Store and got a new hard drive for free. That was worth it for me.

I also had an iPhone 5 which had a battery swell under warranty. Again, one month before the AppleCare/warranty expired. I got a brand new phone which was completely set up to my specifications. I am still using that phone because it is only 2 yrs old. They also, advised me not to rush into a new phone.

I have had no issues with the Apple Store, service, or items. Love be them all. And the service is great. At least I can understand the service calls.
They are in the United States and are great. Any questions are easily answered or they make sure the issue is resolved.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

Well, my dear, you taught me something. My computer has been doing that from time to time. CTRL, ALT, DEL doesn't work. Nothing works. So I've been hitting the power button to unfreeze it. Doing that works, but I thought it was my computer acting up. At least I know now that it's a Window 8-10 glitch. It is annoying as heck and I can see why you'd be frustrated. My computer did it when I was using 8 and it's still doing it. Not often, but every once in a while, I'll come over to the computer room and it looks like it's frozen. I hit the power button and it unfreezes. Bah! (But thank you for your post.)

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
@Artiemom   I'm considering going mac after all the craziness of Windows 10.  I've never owned a mac (mainly because of the cost) but I'm about ready to invest.  Do you think I would have trouble switching?  I do a ton of Excel work from home through a VPN that connects to my Windows system at work...would that cause an issue?

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
A Mac is really easy to operate... and when you buy one, they have one-on-one training, so you can get accustomed to using it for your specific purposes...and they can show you the 'ropes' and help you get it set up to what you want...

I think @Columbine  switched over from a PC to a Mac. 

Honestly, Mac's are really pricey, but it beats all the hassle of dealing with Windows...

I use it for fun, and for what litter business dealings I have. I really like it... I find it easier than a PC..

If you are interested.. I suggest you at least go in to a store and see what they have.. When you are pretty ready to buy, make an appointment at one of the stores.. yes, an appointment is the way to go, otherwise you will be waiting for a long time for a salesperson.. Also the salespeople rotate through all aspects of the store.. so they are pretty knowledgable..

At least that is what I found out the last time I was there. 

The store I go to is one of the first ones in this area and is the busiest...they told me that also...

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Windows 7 is great, I had nothing but problems with 8 and 10.

If anyone does get a mac buy the care. Factor it into the purchase price. Seriously, I had one which I loved until it went bang. It was basically no care, open wallet surgery to fix it. It was a common problem too which they had decided my model wasn't popular enough to include in the free repair, so I ended up with a £1000 paperweight.

Now I buy second hand high spec Windows laptops for 1/5 of the price and have a raspberry pi to play with Linux.

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
My problem is that I have an Apple store about an hour away, for which I don't mind the drive, but it's over in Memphis in an area that is rather unsafe these days--I'd rather just buy online. 

I may take the leap of faith and just order one and see.  I suppose I can always resell it if I don't like it.

@Pegleg   I've always wanted a raspberry pi for python--I may have to nab one of those too just to play around with!

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hbunny hbunny

They're fantastic, I have a couple now. I really like how little electricity they require for a decent amount of power. I use my pi-topCEED more than my laptop these days.

I've bought a zero and a camera to film the cats but I need a few extra components.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Artiemom
  I'm considering going mac after all the craziness of Windows 10.  I've never owned a mac (mainly because of the cost) but I'm about ready to invest.  Do you think I would have trouble switching?  I do a ton of Excel work from home through a VPN that connects to my Windows system at work...would that cause an issue?
I agree with @artiesmom macs are the best. My MacBook Pro has a program called Filp 4 Mac which should handle any conversions of Windows documents. If you decide to explore buying one but don't want to go to the store, I'm sure you could discuss your specific needs over the phone with an Apple rep.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Artiemom
  I'm considering going mac after all the craziness of Windows 10.  I've never owned a mac (mainly because of the cost) but I'm about ready to invest.  Do you think I would have trouble switching?  I do a ton of Excel work from home through a VPN that connects to my Windows system at work...would that cause an issue?
I used to work at home on a VPN connected to a Windows network and had no issues!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live close to an Apple Store but I think it is a pain to get to.  They built this place called Easton Town Center which is like a small town with every possible shop in it.  Traffic and parking is a pain and because I don't go there very often I usually get lost trying to find a store.  Their website doesn't say anything about making an appointment but it says they will set up the machine.  They offer classes and one of them is an intro to the MAC.  It's an hour and the last time I looked it was weekly from 4 to 5 P.M.  Of course that adds rush hour traffic to the traffic situation around that place.  Some people love Easton, think it's the best thing since sliced bread. but I hate going there.

Last edited:

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
@HelloMissKitty   Thanks, if that works, I am definitely going mac this time.  My poor old Dell pc is about to croak.  It was one of the cheaper Inspiron models and I have flat worn it out.  The battery is dead, it overheats, it's just time for it to go.  I think it's 6 years old now.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My problem is that I have an Apple store about an hour away, for which I don't mind the drive, but it's over in Memphis in an area that is rather unsafe these days--I'd rather just buy online. 
I may take the leap of faith and just order one and see.  I suppose I can always resell it if I don't like it.

@Pegleg
  I've always wanted a raspberry pi for python--I may have to nab one of those too just to play around with!
The best thing with a MAC is that you will never have a virus.

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
@hbunny

They're fantastic, I have a couple now. I really like how little electricity they require for a decent amount of power. I use my pi-topCEED more than my laptop these days.

I've bought a zero and a camera to film the cats but I need a few extra components.
I definitely have to get one now!

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
There seem to be many pros and the only con is price.  But, arguably, the life expectancy is much higher.  I guess I am just downright lucky I've gotten 6 years out of the old Dell.