I Hate Painting!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We're painting the master bedroom today--and it really needs it after 13 years! I plan to get new carpet very soon. The one we have is nasty and worn down. I just spent the past couple of hours just washing the walls and trim, including inside of DH's closet (we're doing mine later, as I have more stuff to take out, and we want to get this done ASAP today). We also have to buy a new ceiling fan, as the motor just burned out. It's only about three years old, and wasn't a cheap one. DH is painting all of the trim and the ceiling (:yess:). I'll help him with the walls.

So much work! I really, really hate painting and the prep work! And we have to take apart a large, heavy four-poster bed frame, which is attached to a platform bed with drawers (we adapted our existing four-poster to the newer platform bed a few years ago). The cats are all on edge, as there's a lot of noise, the guest room bed has stuff piled on it, and they can't sleep on it.

Here's the paint color, Silver Bullet:
upload_2018-10-21_11-2-25.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Here's the carpet, All the Best II, color Bromley:

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm with you on that! Anytime you have to do work on the inside of the house and have to dismantle furniture or move it is a pain in the you know what!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Silver Bullet! That's in our bathroom! It's a great color. Good luck with your painting.

I'm not overly fond of painting either. My sister, who loves to paint and wallpaper, is my painter. She never tapes, never does any prep work. She just dives right in and she's really good. Cheap, too. She charges me one dozen donuts, one large supreme pizza and however many beers it takes her to finish the project. :lol: She did our kitchen and it turned out great. (Rick did the bedroom and the bathroom. But I'm talking to my sister now about painting the living room and hallway. She just loves to paint. She could make a living just painting.)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I love to paint. Especially together. My Mom and Stepdad can't do household projects together without arguing. For DH and I it's as good as going on a date. I was kind of disappointed to not be able to paint the kids nurseries with him. Instead I just told him what I wanted and he made it happen (nothing fancy; just wainscotting with a chair rail and some crown moulding in DD's room. With harlequin diamonds on one wall and wide stripes around the rest of the room using high gloss and flat paint. It's gorgeous abd shes never allowed to change her room colors. :lol: DS only got chair rail and 2 colors of paint. :lol:

Our hallway desperately needs painting. The walls are smudged and marked up mostly from the kids. There is even a doodle of our house with our address in black marker. :rolleyes: (I was not amused at the time.) I'd love to do our bedroom but clearing that would be a nightmare. We might have to work in sections. :lol:

If I had may way the whole house would have crown molding. But the open concept floor plan means you can't just do a room at a time. So I settled for chair rail in the main rooms. I really want to do the bathrooms too. :rolleyes:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm the weird guy who loves painting a room! I wish I was there!
I got in serious trouble as a kid for painting my room...not only did I paint the walls, but I painted the wood floor. :doh:

The secret for me is having a deadline that's easy to meet. If you need to paint the ballroom that has 30 foot high ceilings and a lot of detail work to do, and it needs to be done in 2 hours, yeah, I hate that kind of crap.
But a normal sized room, that's yours, you adopt the attitude of "it'll get done" and realize that attention to detail will serve you well in the end. You'll appreciate it when you realize that using that tiny paint brush or spending 3 days on just going around the stupid windows alone gave you a beautiful, perfect finish. And for years to come, you'll glance at those windows and go "yep, I'm proud of that. I took my time and did a really good job."

Every year we section spaces off and do painting jobs. Come winter, I have a long list of painting to be done and I can't wait. :bliss:
I have a long list of you tube channels I like that are basically "talk radio" that I love listening to, and lots of music I like, so when the time comes to paint I just get my stuff together, plug in the music player or the computer, turn the volume up, and enjoy myself and the quiet.
(Then Baby Girl gets covered in paint, I go on a ladder to get a high spot, then step into the bucket, or a few of the dogs get to playing "murder the stuffed hedgehog" and slam into the ladder containing a tray of paint I'm using and then I get sick of it.)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I love crown molding. We have a bi-level (a more modern look, I guess), so it really wouldn't look all that great, but Rick did put it in our bedroom.

I've been wanting to repaint the living room and hallway now for a while. When the contractors came in to redo the bathroom, the hallway walls got marked up pretty badly.

Right now, though, we're still looking at new front doors, storm doors, window, etc.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm currently in the process of painting all the walls, trim, baseboards and doors in my house. Huge job, with 2 coats per wall. And 1 coat primer and 2 coats base for the rest.

It's taking forever, because my back decided it didn't like all the bending, twisting, stretching, etc. involved with painting. So it's like get some done, take a week or so break, then start again.

But it's looking great. And it is pretty relaxing. At least when my back isn't going into spasms. :frown: Or Ruby decides she wants to help. ;)

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I detest painting. My basement needs to be painted but this time I am going to hire someone. I don't care what it cost.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with all the painting! What a great color!

We have been slowly renovating our house over the last four years. I sat on the floor and sanded all the hardwood and we painted every room in the house. The sitting room, stairway, and hall and living room are light French Grey, our bedroom is painted "Paramount," the kitchen is "Tsunami" with dark and light grey cabinets and green accents, and the bathroom is "Tsunami" and "Alice White" with stencil work. I am considering repainting the French grey stuff a different color because with our light/windows, it comes across as almost white.

We just painted the trim, soffit, porch, deck, and doors this past summer. I had painted the front door two years ago, but I decided to go a bit more dramatic with "Black Sapphire" in the door and the screen door with "Cracked Pepper" for the trim. Oh! And we went with a play on a haint blue porch ceiling, leaning more towards a Taos or Witch's blue. I looked like I had murdered a Smurf village after I finished.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with all the painting! What a great color!

We have been slowly renovating our house over the last four years. I sat on the floor and sanded all the hardwood and we painted every room in the house. The sitting room, stairway, and hall and living room are light French Grey, our bedroom is painted "Paramount," the kitchen is "Tsunami" with dark and light grey cabinets and green accents, and the bathroom is "Tsunami" and "Alice White" with stencil work. I am considering repainting the French grey stuff a different color because with our light/windows, it comes across as almost white.

We just painted the trim, soffit, porch, deck, and doors this past summer. I had painted the front door two years ago, but I decided to go a bit more dramatic with "Black Sapphire" in the door and the screen door with "Cracked Pepper" for the trim. Oh! And we went with a play on a haint blue porch ceiling, leaning more towards a Taos or Witch's blue. I looked like I had murdered a Smurf village after I finished.

That looks really nice, Elphaba09 Elphaba09 . Black can be over looked as dull or depressing but it can really make something look sharp.
LOL at the Smurf comment. I painted part of a room a deep shade of red recently and looked like I'd stepped out of a slasher movie.:flail:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you! :thumbsup: There's other home projects I would rather do.
I have no choice. I've been banned from my saw after many near accidents. :flail:
I tried to wall paper once. About 60 seconds in, I walked away and said "I'll be in the kitchen" and left the poor saps to complete the job. They came into the kitchen, cussing about the stupid no good non-pre-pasted crap while I sat there with my feet propped on the table eating a turkey sandwich.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks really nice, Elphaba09 Elphaba09 . Black can be over looked as dull or depressing but it can really make something look sharp.
LOL at the Smurf comment. I painted part of a room a deep shade of red recently and looked like I'd stepped out of a slasher movie.
I agree! When the woman at Home Depot asked what I was painting with such dark colors and I told her that it was for the trim/door/porch/deck, she looked at me like I was crazy.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I painted part of a room a deep shade of red recently and looked like I'd stepped out of a slasher movie
Haha! I can imagine! Just think what might have happened if someone had stopped by after that! Hahahaha! My Smurf slaughter would not have gotten the police called, but you might have had to do some convincing if someone saw you. "No. No. It's paint, I swear. Come on in, I 'll show you!" :flail:

My neighbor kept trying to take pictures of me.

I've been banned from my saw after many near accidents.
My left leg is disabled, so my balance is horrific at best. My son and/or husband hid my circular saw this past July because they actually observed me using it. I have a little Irwin saw collection that I use for most things, but the circular saw makes some things so much easier. Now, I have to ask them to saw stuff.

~ :clap2: Looks great ! Good for you ...
Thanks! We built the column covers because the old ones did not fit the style of the house, which is a sort-of quasi Craftsman bungalow.

I envy you do-it-yourself types. Just think of the '$' you save ! I just got the estimates to exterior paint the rental house - $4500.oo
My husband is only DIY when he has to help me or when he agrees that we cannot part with the amount of money given in a quote for something. Our house is not big (less than 1,000 sq ft) but we were left gobsmacked by the quotes. I even had the paint and was getting quotes of $1,800- $2,000 for just the top half of the house's trim and soffit and $3,000-$4,200 for the whole thing including the deck and porch. We live on a bit of a hill, which made doing the top half a scary thought for us because we were without the proper equipment and have fear of heights!

We finally found a small two-person startup that was looking for projects to use in their advertising. They charged us $500 for just the top half and permission to use pictures of their work. They did a great job!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We've been slowly painting the house exterior for years now. I get all of the mind-numbing detail work and let me tell you, I can't wait to be done for the year.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ What I learned about house painting : PREPARATION/REPAIR of the surface is critical. Many "cheap " painters will not inform you of this. Be careful folks ...