I had to say goodbye to my dear sweet little guy Shelby on June 26, 2015

helen725

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shelby was a one of a kind cat, like I've never had seen before. He was so good natured. I could pick him up any time and he would never complain. You know when you would pick up a cat and they get all squirmy and try to get away? Shelby would never do that. He was like a little doll. So beautiful and perfect- both inside and out. And the way he would walk! Like he was a model going down the cat walk! It's like he knew that he was beautiful! So many times the vets would mistakenly think he was a girl. I guess because he had that cute little face. On several occasions when he would came back from the vet and they groomed him, the attendant had put a pink bandana around his neck and sprayed perfume on him!
He also had these beautiful vibrant green eyes that I would never get tired of looking at. It's as if he knew what I was thinking.

If there was one thing that Shelby loved, it was to play! He was so easily distracted. To say that Shelby was a picky eater is an understatement. I had to open so many cans before I found one that he would like. He could be in the midde of eating and the slightest sound would distract him. This extra food that Shelby wouldn't eat often was happily eaten by his slightly plump big brother (older by 10 months) Monte. Monte is a big black and white cat who misses his little brother very much.

On July 1, 2014 Shelby had passed out and collapsed on the stairs. We had no idea what was wrong. Thankfully my husband gave Shelby mouth to mouth and he came to. He let out a loud cry and he seemed to come around. We took him to the emergency vet and they told us that he had HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). Which means that the walls of his heart were very thick. He had a slight heart murmur when he was younger. After he came home from the emergency vet, Shelby started taking heart medication. Atenol and plavix. He was doing very well on the medication and he seemed like himself again.
We tried not to let Shelby overexert himself, but it was a very difficult thing to do. Try as we might, but Shelby loved to play and chase his older brother Monte!

The day that Shelby passed away on June 26, 2015 was just like any other day. In fact, Shelby was the picture of health that morning. I was still in bed that early morning at 6:30 and Shelby came up to me and started snuggling with me. He had this thing he did where he would pat me with his paws across my nose. And he did it that morning. It's as if he was saying goodbye. He stayed with me snuggled in between the pillows for about 40 mins. And then he got off the bed and seconds later I heard a bang like something fell down the stairs. I saw Shelby collapsed again but this time he was gone. He never regained consciousneas. I cradled him in my arms and I held him so tight. I didn't want to let him go. I still can't let him go. I even went so far as to have one of those cuddle clone toys made in his image so that I could feel like I'm hugging Shelby again. But of course, it's not the same as the real thing.

I have my one remaining cat left, his name his Monte. But Monte is not a big cuddler like Shelby was. Monte doesn't like to be picked up or fussed with. But he's affectionate in his own way. I feel so sorry for Monte because he's alone now without his best friend. And I don't think that Monte would accept a new cat at his age (he'll be 12 in May)

My regret is that we didn't insist on Shelby getting a heart scan when his heart murmur was first detected. I wish that the vets would have told us that we should have been concerned about his heart murmur instead of telling us that it was nothing to worry about. Perhaps if Shelby was diagnosed earlier and given medication he may have lived longer. But I am thankful for the 10 beautiful happy years that I had with Shelby. After doing my research on this dreadful disease, I found out that some cats aren't so lucky to even live that long. Some only live 3 or 4 years. And Shelby lived a happy life and he did not suffer at all. He went so quickly and I was with him. Luckily I happened to be home that day. He was also lucky that he did not have a blood clot that often happens to cats with HCM where they're back legs become paralysed. The vet said that Shelby most likely had a heart attack and that he went quickly and painlessly.

I'll never ever forget my little guy and not a day goes by where I don't think of him.

I'm sure that Shelby was lovingly welcomed to the Rainbow Bridge by Ari, Oscar, Arianna and Luckie. These are dear cats whom we loved that passed on years ago. I'm sure that they are all happily playing together now.

March 13, 2005 - June 26, 2015

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

helen725

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is one of my favourite photos of Shelby when he was a kitten. He was such a little
show off! From the moment when I chose him at PetsSmart. He had to do his little performance running back and forth across the floor! It was love at first sight!

Last edited:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shelby was such a beautiful cat and you can tell that he was a very special boy. I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story and beautiful boy with us. Shelby, you are loved and always will be. 

helen725

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is Shelby snuggling with his older brother Monte. Monte is a big boy in size and I think he appreciated how Shelby made him look so slim lying in front of him like that. They were the best of friends. When my cat Arianna died, Monte was only 8 months old. We kept looking for another cat to keep Monte company but eveytime we would go to the pet store, they were out of kittens. It was almost 4 months when we finally found Shelby! It was love at first sight for all of us- including Monte. They got along from the very beginning. Monte was constantly licking Shelby like he has his own kitten. Shelby spent those early months of his life soaking wet!

This is when Monte first met Shelby on the day we brought him home from the pet store

Shelby and Monte at the window. Shelby would eventually be taller than Monte when he was fully grown. He had such long legs.

Last edited:

tamu708

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss.  He was a sweet and beautiful boy

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry Shelby had to leave you, the hole it leaves in your heart seems to never heal and is  unbearable at times. He died at home with the one he loved nearby, he went on his own terms and lived they way he was happiest with, with a zest for life. I'm sure he is at peace, secure in knowing he was a part of a loving family and so very much loved, all he ever wanted. Although he is terribly missed, he left a legacy of love that will comfort you in the coming years, your precious memories will keep him alive in your heart. The bond you formed can never be taken from you, it is your connection to him in spirit. He was an amazing little character, and will never be forgotten. Thank you for letting us know of him so that we can join in mourning the loss of such a special little guy.  RIP sweet Shelby, you will be forever held in loving hearts!

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know that some time has passed since Shelby's promotion to the Bridge. But I think I can safely say that it still hurts to lose a precious furry friend like this, especially in the manner in which he passed. But as I tell others, please take comfort in knowing that whatever ailed him on earth has no place where he is now. Yes, I know he is happy with his kitty family in heaven, but when it is your time for elevation to the place of eternal joy and happiness, you can safely bet that he will be waiting for you with open arms and a heart full of love. He was truly a handsome boy. Hugs to you.

Rest in peace, beloved friend. Shelby eternal.

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss...Shelby is absolutely gorgeous and those are wonderful pictures of him and his brother. 

Fly Free Dear Shelby and land softly- You were so loved!

It’s been such a lovely summer, I’ve been napping in the sun.
This morning, other cats and I enjoyed a long long run.
We chased butterflies together. I climbed high into a tree.
And now I think what woke me up was that small bumble bee.

I’ve yawned and stretched, and still I feel that something has begun.
He’s standing there in robes of white, and telling me to come.
I always run to Him you know, when He comes across the bridge
To see if we’re all having fun and if we’ve checked the ridge.

He gives tummy rubs to all of us and pets and cuddles too
I’m glad to see Him every day, when He comes into view.
Each day He takes a different cat, and chats with them a while
Then off that kitty starts to run. I swear they seem to smile.

But now He’s stopped in front of me. He’s said a name I know.
He said to look out towards the ridge. The sun is setting low.
I start to walk out toward the ridge, and then what’s that I see.
IT’S YOU! IT’S YOU! It’s really you. You’ve come to be with me!

My goodness you are running and I am running too!
You stop to bend, but I can jump and now I am with you.
I feel your kisses on my head, as I did in long off days
You’re holding me and hugging me, and into your eyes I gaze.

And now He’s walking with us, as you carry me once more
We’ve crossed Rainbow Bridge together. We’re here at Heaven’s door.
And He has held it open, and told us to walk through
That from now on and forever, I can always be with you.

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I am so sorry for your loss...Shelby is absolutely gorgeous and those are wonderful pictures of him and his brother. 

Fly Free Dear Shelby and land softly- You were so loved!

It’s been such a lovely summer, I’ve been napping in the sun.
This morning, other cats and I enjoyed a long long run.
We chased butterflies together. I climbed high into a tree.
And now I think what woke me up was that small bumble bee.

I’ve yawned and stretched, and still I feel that something has begun.
He’s standing there in robes of white, and telling me to come.
I always run to Him you know, when He comes across the bridge
To see if we’re all having fun and if we’ve checked the ridge.

He gives tummy rubs to all of us and pets and cuddles too
I’m glad to see Him every day, when He comes into view.
Each day He takes a different cat, and chats with them a while
Then off that kitty starts to run. I swear they seem to smile.

But now He’s stopped in front of me. He’s said a name I know.
He said to look out towards the ridge. The sun is setting low.
I start to walk out toward the ridge, and then what’s that I see.
IT’S YOU! IT’S YOU! It’s really you. You’ve come to be with me!

My goodness you are running and I am running too!
You stop to bend, but I can jump and now I am with you.
I feel your kisses on my head, as I did in long off days
You’re holding me and hugging me, and into your eyes I gaze.

And now He’s walking with us, as you carry me once more
We’ve crossed Rainbow Bridge together. We’re here at Heaven’s door.
And He has held it open, and told us to walk through
That from now on and forever, I can always be with you.
Wow. this is awesome. Did you write this or did you get this off of the internet or book?

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Wow. this is awesome. Did you write this or did you get this off of the internet or book?
When I lost my girl Tiger, a dear friend sent me this poem and I loved it .  I am so sorry, in my first post I neglected to copy and paste the author of this piece; it is The Ridge by Carol Notermann.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My condolences. Shelby was adorable. Our last cat passed away from HCM; it's one of those diseases that just makes you feel helpless. Its progress can be slowed, but not stopped. RIP, Shelby. :rbheart:

helen725

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My condolences. Shelby was adorable. Our last cat passed away from HCM; it's one of those diseases that just makes you feel helpless. Its progress can be slowed, but not stopped. RIP, Shelby. :rbheart:
Thank you for your condolences about my Shelby. I'm so sorry for the passing of your cat as well from this heartbreaking disease.
What makes it even harder is that they can seem like they're in perfect health just before they pass away. It was like that for Shelby. I was so unprepared and I thought that I'd have more time with him because he was doing so well on his medication.