I had to put my fur baby down today and need help

milosmom123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm dying  I had to put Milo down there was nothing the vet could do they said it was good that his health went down quickly  so he wouldn't be in pain but its killing me inside i stayed there with him and when he stopped breathing the dam in my eyes broke i cant take the pain i need my baby boy he is my life  has any one had to do this can some one give me tips on how to handle this hurt 

letemlive

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MilosMom123

our heart felt sympathy, and prayers go out to you in this terribly difficult time. In Feb of 2009, we has a beautiful Maltese who had been with us nearly 16 years. we had to put our little Precious down. she had cancer. she had surgery a year early and our Vet told us before the surgery all he could do was extend her life a year but it would be a good quality of life for her. and he was right almost to the day when the dreaded time came My wife said her see ya laters at home and I embarked on one the hardest journeys of my life. Of course I held her until her last breath kidded her and took her body to bury her with other pets at our pond.

try and think of all the fun times yuo had with Milo the funny things .. try and laugh a little as you cry......Only time will help i know it feels as if no amount of time will help....but it will..even as I share this now, it's steel an emotional time. you should be greiving and distraut today .. we were.... time WILL help remember thing of something funny Milo did and laugh a little through the tears...

Our Prayers and thoughts are with you
Mark and Nikki

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry.  No matter how many times we go through this it is still hard and it takes time to recover from it.  In time you will remember the good times instead of only the time that he was sick and he left you.  He is free of sickness now.

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm dying  I had to put Milo down there was nothing the vet could do they said it was good that his health went down quickly  so he wouldn't be in pain but its killing me inside i stayed there with him and when he stopped breathing the dam in my eyes broke i cant take the pain i need my baby boy he is my life  has any one had to do this can some one give me tips on how to handle this hurt 
I'm so proud of you for doing the right thing when it must have been so difficult. Whever he is, Milo now knows how much you loved him.

1. Take it day by day. In fact take it minute by minute. Give yourself permission to grieve.

2. Allow yourself to cry. Bottling up your emotions is not good for you, and you will feel sad forever. Forget all that mumbo jumbo that you're not supposed to mourn an animal as much as you would a person. There was a bond that you cherished, and no matter the nature of the bond, it is missed.

3. Create something to memorialise Milo. A scrapbook, a photo album. A vide of images. Something that takes a lot of work and allows you collect all your thoughts and feelings

4. Look after yourself. Eat what you can. Sleep when you can. Get some exercise.

5. Tell your friends. You need support. If you need grief counselling, don't be shy about getting it. I am a combat-experienced soldier and qualified clinical psychologist. Neither helped a bit when I lost my cat, so don't feel the need to try and be brave.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. You clearly adored your Milo. He was a lucky cat to have been loved by you.

There are no words to assuage your pain at the moment. Only time will do that. Just remember you have taken his pain away and taken it upon yourself. There can be no greater demonstration of love and devotion for any cat owner.

G

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my gosh, so sorry for your great loss!

Most of us on here know all too well just what you are going through right now. It's almost unbearable pain and heartache, and emptiness. We do know.

The first days are the very worst, as I said, it feels more than you can stand, so you lay in bed, sleep if you can, baby yourself, and cry your heart out for the love you have for him.

The more tears you cry, the more times you talk about him and cry, you are one step closer to recovery. I don't mean you will recover and forget, but you wouldn't want to. I mean getting through the toughest part of losing him.

You will think all you want is him back, just want him back, but he is gone from the physical world now, so you can't see him or feel his fur, or see his eyes.

However, I truly believe with all my heart, that, when a body wears out or breaks down and we lose a pet, or a person for that matter, while their body is not here, their spirit and energy certainly are. That is what our universe is made up of, all of the energy and spirit can't simply vanish, how could it?

You will see him again and be together someday, but not until your time comes, meanwhile his spirit soars free, pain free, healthy and young.

Talk about it as much as possible, cry in your pillow, a million tears, be thankful for the time you had him and his love, and were able to give him love.

Someday you will be able to think of him and remember all the details, his face, how his little paws looked, things he did, and you will hold this in a little side pocket of your heart, a permanent place only for him to occupy.

pangurban

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so so sorry. I understand your pain. After I had to put down my Venus I spent a lot of time with my then-boyfriend, now husband. I have a little shrine I keep up to this day. It is a framed picture of her with her collar hanging off of one corner and some of her toys around it. Sometimes I talk to her photo a little. Its been 10 years but it brings me comfort.

samnmag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please accept my deepest sympathy.  I certainly understand your heart feels crushed right now and you feel so helpless.   When you lose your beloved pet, who was friend, family and confident, it feels like a part of your world has gone.  As others have advised you, grieve, cry, stamp your feet or even yell if you feel like it.  Everyone has a different way of reconciling themselves to such a sad loss and there have been some wonderful suggestions.  When I had to say goodbye to my Sam, I wanted to close myself away but my job wouldn't allow that.  So, after some thought, I sat down and wrote a story about him.  I started right from when I got him to when I had to say goodbye.  It took me several days because there parts where I couldn't see through the tears but then there were parts where I smiled because there were many great moments.  Reaching the end of the story, I sat back and realized I had a wonderful treasure of memories which would always be a big part of my life.  I also have a memory basket with his toys, food bowl etc.  I lost him back in 2002 and I still miss him but I also know he is safe and in good hands.  Another thing that I do is make donations to animal rescue groups in his memory and I on the card, In Memory of Sam.  I know he is always with me.  The very same thing applied to when I lost his sister several years later.  BUT you must give yourself time and treasure all the memories you have of your wonderful Milo.

sparklemoon5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Am sorry to hear about your loss! :sniffle: Think about the good times you guys had with each other... I once had a cat named, "Milo" too. Milo passed away and I found a look like of him but called her "Cheesy" helped my keep my mind of Milo...
You'll be with each other again! Am just so sorry for your lose of Milo... Hang in their!
Gives you a hug and says again, "Hang in there. Everything will be alright. Milo is now an twinkling star in the sky, a angel watching over you, a GOD watching over you."

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gareth had a lot of good tips to help you in your grief. I would want to add to keep busy, it was the only thing that helped me in the early days. I, too, paid the adoption fees for five older cats at the shelter in my Chrissy's name, it made me feel good to give those poor lost souls a chance at having the same happiness and love that we shared. 

You do have to express your grief to others who understand. By sharing your grief healing will occur. You will never forget the love you had for Milo, it's securely locked in your heart and bonded with your soul. Memories are the best legacy that exists, treasure them and share them with friends and family. Time is the only thing that helps, it softens our heartache and eventually turns our tears into smiles when we remember our loved ones. Please try to not dwell on the loss, but hold on to the love you shared as a treasure that we will forever keep.I cry as I realize the pain you are going through, and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Bless you for loving him so much. RIP beautiful Milo, you were greatly loved and will be forever missed.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My condolences. Many of us have been through the loss of our beloved felines and know how much it hurts. The pain and grief lessen in time. You need to grieve at your own pace; at some point you'll find that all the fond memories will replace most of the emotions you're experiencing right now. Milo will always be a part of you, even if he's no longer there in physical form.

RIP, Milo.:rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milosmom123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you all so much those were very helpful ideas and i am going to pay the fee for some cats to have a home in honor of Milo  thank you all so much

samnmag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful.  There are so many kitties out there that are in need.  You are a wonderful kitty mom!

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

you not alone I had to put my baby Mewlittle to sleep in july 2013 she had a breast tumor it was killing her I didn't want her to suffer anymore for like 2 days before I decided to put her to sleep I cried and cried and on the way to the animal shelter because they agreed to do it real cheap I was crying and Mewlittle had her nail imbedded in my arm I didn't move her claw I let her do it I think she was trying to show me her pain I was just starting to feel better over Mewlittle passing because I know she is in a better place and not suffering my cat had a stillborn on april 26th 2014 and then yesterday Brandon passed away may 18th 2014 unaspectitly 

sorry if my spelling sucks im not paying attention to my spelling at the moment :( what helps me with the pain I concatrate on my other cats I still have

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry.  
  It's wonderful that you are helping other cats in Milo's memory. Please take care of yourself, just as you took excellent care of Milo.

Last edited: