I had to board my 5 cats in a kennel for 2 weeks. What can I expect when I pick them up?

ezwriter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a last-minute two-week work trip dumped in my lap, and had to board my kitties.
They are very sheltered and spoiled, and have never had anything like this happen to them before.
I'm wondering what to expect when I bring them home.
Will they be happy to see me and happy to be home again? Or will they be mad at me for putting them in jail for two weeks?

What are your boarding kennel experiences? I've never had to do this before, and part of me feels terrible for doing this to them, but it was really the only option for me.

(and yes, 4 days in, and I am missing them SO much!)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think they'll be mad at you, but they might want to hide once they get home for a day or so. Let them choose their hiding spots (as long as they're safe), offer food and water, keep things quiet, and go about your normal business. Some cats will respond to you trying to gently coax them out positively, and others will just get more upset, so "know thy cat" :wave3:
Did you have them boarded together? Are you able to call and ask how they're doing?
We've vet boarded our cat with health problems before, and he's always come home ready to be back and explore and not too upset.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It really depends on the cats. Some of the ones boarded at our shelter are so overjoyed at being reunited with their owners that they're very clingy for a couple of days. Others get in such a snit that they ignore them or even strike out, though that usually stops after a day or two. We have one regular boarder that gets so angry about having been left that the poor woman calls us when she's in the parking lot, so we can put Arielle in her carrier before she sees or hears that mom is back. Otherwise mom's hands and arms get shredded. It takes Arielle 24 hours to calm down.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had cats in boarding kennels for up to a week... they might not have liked it, but they survived. Try to find a "cats only" boarding place, and check for cleanliness... sloth and unclean conditions usually indicate poor care. When I looked at fixer homes in the PNW (or Pacific Northwest), I put two cats into a kennel that seemed alright, but a few days later the owner called and said she thought one cat was ill, so I'd have to remove both cats to prevent other folks' cats from becoming sick... a major inconvenience at the time. Crackhead occasionally blows booger logs out one nostril, so the gal probably saw this happen and she wigged out... both cats were fine when I picked them up, and I simply took them to my campsite on Willapa Bay for the duration, until I took a short-term rental flat for several months to continue my search for a fixer home. Never found a home up there worth buying in my price range, which is why I'm back in Arizona. In fact, I'm about to flip this current home and buy another closer to Sierra Vista, but the four cats I have now will be coming with me, no boarding kennel required. I may set up another short-term rental for the winter, depends upon what's available to a cash buyer once escrow closes on my current home.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My cats always hold it against me if they are boarded. Having said that, what else were you to do? You were responsible and took care of them, even if they don't see it that way. Mine always come home horrified that I "did" that to them and hide or give me the cold shoulder, but they get over it once they realize that they are home and that they were not abandoned. Just act normally and they will settle down.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She wasn't boarded, but we took Baby Girl to the vet and the appointment was a long one. When we got back, she was so angry at me she stalked in front of my path, refusing to be caught, but was too proud to run and hide. She just stomped around and growled. I gave up trying to console her and sat in my chair to read. In a little while, she showed up and sat down at my feet (with her back to me :lol:) Within a half hour or so, she was in my lap, sitting, with her back to me still. It was as if she was saying "I'll sit in your lap, but I will not enjoy one minute." She sat there for awhile, still as a statue. I peeked around to see her expression, and she was sitting upright, head back, fast asleep. She forgave me awful quick.