I guess I'm cheap

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We were at the farmers' market yesterday and Dear Richard was perusing the baked goods. One of the places was selling muffins (and not very big muffins at that) for $4 each. I thought that was a ridiculous price for a muffin. The same place was offering one biscotto for $1.75 and other cookies for $2 each.

Rick said that I'm going to have to get used to the prices and deal. This is not the first time he has told me that. We've been at the grocery store, I've seen the prices on some items and was appalled. And said, "Nope, not gonna pay it!"

I thought, and still think, $4 is a bit much. Is it? Am I being cheap?

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
$4 does seem high unless it's a pretty fancy muffin. But I'm no baker so I couldn't really factor in time, ingredients, packaging, etc costs either so I'll usually buy goodies regardless of cost, I don't eat many so it's worth it when I do want something and homemade is nice.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the prices of things are outrageous.. But for a huge muffin, $4 is the bakery price... If they are smaller, than that is too much. I always fine the prices at Farmers Markets are much higher than the stores or bakeries.

You are such a great baker/cook.. I get your point. Making your own food is cheaper and healthier..
You are not being cheap; but the prices of things are sky high...

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Too high. I just looked at the menu for a bagel place near us that makes very large, always fresh muffins and they are $2.39 each. I can see maybe a bit higher because the shop probably buys ingredients in bulk and the baker doesn't.

ETA - the small coffee shop near me sells their large muffins for $2.75.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The going rate for a basic muffin at The Muffin Break here is $5 (currently US$3.50) so it's probably a bit high, especially since virtually everything is more expensive over here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
They are a local bakery with a stall at the farmers' market. I asked for a price on a standard 10-inch two-layer white coconut cake. Well, they do three narrower layers, not two regular ones. The price was $105 with an extra charge for coconut on top. I can't do it. Not even for my birthday. Somebody is buying their baked goods because they've been in business for a couple of years now.

There was an Amish stall not too far from that bakery one and their muffins were $6 for 4. Guess which ones we bought. And they were pretty darn good.

I bought a jumbo muffin pan from Amazon, so jumbo is the only size I make anymore. But geez, even Dunkin' Donuts' muffins aren't that expensive.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah $4 is a little high, it would have to be a large muffin and a bake sale homemade one for that to be reasonable to me. That price for a cake is really high. The Peninsula Grill in Charleston has a nationally known Coconut cake that they will ship. It is 12 narrow layers and weighs 12 pounds, it is $130. Their coconut cake for $105 is way overpriced.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
My experience with Farmers Markets is that there is a wide range of pricing, but in general I feel like they are overpriced.
I think this is partially due to the expense the vender incurs for a place at the market (space fee, tent, setup/teardown time), but I also feel that some venders oversell the “organic” factor. Same goes for festivals (Highlander, Pirate/Renn, Greek, etc.,).

So, for myself, I don’t buy unless something is truly unique.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, you're not being cheap, just prudent; and yes, those muffins are overpriced. We have a sizable Amish community in this area, and their baked goods are sold in a number of places, and the prices are nowhere near that steep, even given the recent inflation of most things.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Funny you should mention muffins at the farmer's market since DH bought one last weekend for $3.00. He also bought a scone. We visited two different markets, one Saturday and one Sunday. Different bakers and different prices. It's worth shopping around or as others said you're a terrific baker and should probably open your own stall at the farmer's market. :goldstar:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you're being cheap at all.I do the same thing...and my son would say I'm frugal.I cannot justify paying prices like that when I know I can do it better and cheaper myself,and you know you can too.I've been to the Amish bakery that's not far from here....it's where we buy the honey jars....and I've eaten some of their cookies.Was not impressed at all,and their bread.....I'd rather have my own.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think you're being cheap at all.I do the same thing...and my son would say I'm frugal.I cannot justify paying prices like that when I know I can do it better and cheaper myself,and you know you can too.I've been to the Amish bakery that's not far from here....it's where we buy the honey jars....and I've eaten some of their cookies.Was not impressed at all,and their bread.....I'd rather have my own.
I went to the grocery store for the first time in 3 weeks and found myself in the bakery. I then looked at my cart and remembered my last online order and realized I had all the ingredients to make anything in the bakery I wanted. It's just very tempting when they're all baked, and decorated so pretty!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My experience with Farmers Markets is that there is a wide range of pricing, but in general I feel like they are overpriced.
I think this is partially due to the expense the vender incurs for a place at the market (space fee, tent, setup/teardown time), but I also feel that some venders oversell the “organic” factor. Same goes for festivals (Highlander, Pirate/Renn, Greek, etc.,).

So, for myself, I don’t buy unless something is truly unique.
I really like organic food and I like supporting local farms and families, but organic baked goods aren't something I really stress about. Organic cookies are still cookies and aren't really good for you. (I have plenty of not good for you junk stowed in my pantry. Oops! :) )

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the grocery store for the first time in 3 weeks and found myself in the bakery. I then looked at my cart and remembered my last online order and realized I had all the ingredients to make anything in the bakery I wanted. It's just very tempting when they're all baked, and decorated so pretty!
The thing I like about baking my own is you can make adjustments healthwise such as using applesauce instead of oil, or stevia instead of sugar.... I just don't like turning on the oven in the summer months.