I Got My Feral In The House Today!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sheesh so much has happened with these cats! I can pet them all now, I gave flea treatment to them all.
Blacky will get on my lap and loves it, they all can be fearful of me at times, Texy loves to be brushed!
I think he was abandoned and not born feral, He's the only one that will play with a cat toy.
I have been so busy preparing my back yard for them, we got most of the coyote rollers up.
found cat houses, bought 1 to make sure and now have to order 2 more, I will modify them for winter.
we are going to be building something for the houses not sure yet, we are putting cat fencing in the
corners of the fencing as animals can get on our neighbors fence and hop in.
so much to do! I'm trying to do some landscaping in the yard to make it pleasant for them.
also may hire a carpenter for something for them to climb up on and see over the fence.
I will take pics while working in the yard this weekend as I know I promosied pics of Wallis's new catio
well it's a year old now.
Joey and Walli are the same, Joey still hates cats and Walli is still fearful
knowing what Iknow now, I brought Walli in way to early.

Hope all is well with your cats!
I just pray these cats will be ok till I can get them in the yard
oh Sammy still comes in the garage every night!
I wish I could get all 3 in, but I tried, I got blacky in 1 rainy night ( I carried him inside the house
and then to the garage! no way! ha ha!
It is amazing, I was just thinking of you last night!!!

Congratulations on the great progress!! So awesome, thank you for the update and all you are doing for them!!!

"Joey and Walli are the same, Joey still hates cats and Walli is still fearful" - I am with rubysmama on them. They are special and my goal is to get them as confident as possible. Just keep working on them. And the scents from the outside cats might be a factor so make sure you wash your hands, change clothes, etc. And play play play if possible.

Keep up the great work!!! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took the pics somehow I'm having technical difficulties, I think they are too big and I need to make them smaller
Joey is still very aggressive and he got out and 1st thing started a fight with Sammy, he cannot be trusted with any cats.
I think he has some sort of mental disorder, he is never cuddly, and there is no way to rehome him if so I could bring the feral inside
the house, I'm hoping they will be friendly towards Walli in the backyard, maybe they can make friends through Walli's catio
then they can share her room with her and she can come out of the catio, her catio is huge 12'x12'x12' I think.
I will work on those pics still, things are so hectic right now.

Walli is still afraid of me! ugh, it's the cats inside that are the problem!
Blacky is the only one I can actually hold and get some affection from, so weird he was the most afraid of me.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everybody! thanks for that link ruby!! I am going to post pics real soon.
We are at a point of bringing the cats in the yard, the shelter is pretty much done, omg
the work and money we put into it!
Sammy and Blacky have been coming in the garage every night, not Tex, Tex got bit
in the face by a roaming feral, I had to trap him (just in time) and take him to the vet.
He has been in a bedroom for a week now (Ugh)! hoping to release him into the yard on sunday
I just pray that he can't get out. Blacky and Sammy may go at the same time not sure yet.
I promise to take pics and post by next weekend, sheesh this project has been so hard.
since me and my husband work, it has been EVERY weekend and we took some days off too!
when Tex got injured, there was no way I was letting him back out in the street, I saw where he has
been sleeping, NO WAY!! These are my pets now, and it's like having a pet and letting them sleep outside.
so anyway even tho the yard isn't totally complete we can still work while they are in the yard
We do think we have all the loud parts done so they don't get scared.

So anyway I keep thinking they are not going to like it, but there isn't an alternative.
This is where I need help, I feel so guilty containing cats that get to roam the neighborhood.
any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
these cats are easier going than the ones I got inside, Joey seems to be mellowing
and I'm hoping I can Bring all the cats in some day!
sheesh what an adventure this last year has been!

I think about you all! Been so insanely busy
I will post pics!!! I promise

fyi Charlie is not coming into the yard, he actually belongs to another colony
and he injured Sammy and Blacky, I am going to try not to attach to anymore cats
It has been so stressful, I'm not attached to Charlie, but I do still give him food in the morning
when he comes.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everybody! thanks for that link ruby!! I am going to post pics real soon.
We are at a point of bringing the cats in the yard, the shelter is pretty much done, omg
the work and money we put into it!
Sammy and Blacky have been coming in the garage every night, not Tex, Tex got bit
in the face by a roaming feral, I had to trap him (just in time) and take him to the vet.
He has been in a bedroom for a week now (Ugh)! hoping to release him into the yard on sunday
I just pray that he can't get out. Blacky and Sammy may go at the same time not sure yet.
I promise to take pics and post by next weekend, sheesh this project has been so hard.
since me and my husband work, it has been EVERY weekend and we took some days off too!
when Tex got injured, there was no way I was letting him back out in the street, I saw where he has
been sleeping, NO WAY!! These are my pets now, and it's like having a pet and letting them sleep outside.
so anyway even tho the yard isn't totally complete we can still work while they are in the yard
We do think we have all the loud parts done so they don't get scared.

So anyway I keep thinking they are not going to like it, but there isn't an alternative.
This is where I need help, I feel so guilty containing cats that get to roam the neighborhood.
these cats are easier going than the ones I got inside, Joey seems to be mellowing

I think about you all! Been so insanely busy
I will post pics!!! I promise

fyi Charlie is not coming into the yard, he actually belongs to another colony
and he injured Sammy and Blacky, I am going to try not to attach to anymore cats
It has been so stressful, I'm not attached to Charlie, but I do still give him food in the morning
when he comes.
You are so wonderful. ALL your emotions we all feel. :/ It is not easy, there is no "perfect" answer but we do our best. And you are DEFINITELY doing the best!!!!

Poor Tex. That is the danger of not having them safe. It will probably lead to a shorter life AND given the threats it could be stressful for them. So less access to the world vs safety. AND if they are really unhappy and not doing well you can always give them the alternative.

"These are my pets now, and it's like having a pet and letting them sleep outside." - Yep.
"
"so anyway even tho the yard isn't totally complete we can still work while they are in the yard
We do think we have all the loud parts done so they don't get scared." - Great

"So anyway I keep thinking they are not going to like it," - Let's see how they do and go from there.

" but there isn't an alternative." - Agreed for safety.

"This is where I need help, I feel so guilty containing cats that get to roam the neighborhood.
any wisdom would be greatly appreciated." - Oh my, you should NOT feel guilty AT ALL. You are trying to do the best and I think it is the best path for them for the best and longest life.

"these cats are easier going than the ones I got inside," - Isn't that the way it is???? ;)

" Joey seems to be mellowing" - Great

"and I'm hoping I can Bring all the cats in some day!" - Wellllllllll, let's not get too far ahead....................... :)

"sheesh what an adventure this last year has been! " - Yes BUT you are SO WONDERFUL!!!!! You are doing amazing and meaningful things!!!

"fyi Charlie is not coming into the yard, he actually belongs to another colony" - Ok

"and he injured Sammy and Blacky," - :( Is he neutered?

" I am going to try not to attach to anymore cats" - I try that as well. I hope you have better luck than me.

"It has been so stressful," - Yep :/

" I'm not attached to Charlie, but I do still give him food in the morning" - That is good. Hopefully he will feel a little less territorial getting food.

Let's us know how you are doing. So glad you are doing well. GREAT to hear from you!!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I so admire people like you who are doing so much to make the lives of ferals better. And just noticed you don't have the "friend of ferals" badge on your profile, which you certainly have earned. You have to "apply" for it, yourself, though. So when you have a chance, here's the link to do so: Friend of Ferals Award Badge - Apply Here

As for bringing them all inside, it's not impossible, but it is a huge commitment. Not sure if you've ever followed Jcatbird Jcatbird 's thread, or not, but she's rescued well over than 100 ferals, and currently has about 30 living inside her home. All but 2 show zero interest in going back outside, and the 2 that do, go out wearing harnesses and leashes.. So ferals definitely can adapt to being indoor cats. Here's her super lengthy thread, if you'd like to check it out sometime. My Feral And Rescued Cats

One thing that might come in handy, with introducing cats, is the lattice door setup she is using. More on that here: jcatbird's lattice doors

Glad to hear Joey is mellowing. How's Walli doing these days?

Looking forward to pics of everyone when you are able to post them.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, jcatbird!!!! Amazing!!! :)

So ferals definitely can adapt to being indoor cats. " - TOTALLY agree!!!! All the cats I have ever had all came from the streets after years on the streets and were true ferals. Through some to a lot of work they all learned to trust, love, bond, etc. It is not easy but totally possible with the right person and knowledge. Often the bond is even stronger in time. But it is not for everyone.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you are so supportive C calicosrspecial Thanks so much for reading and responding!
I knew I would feel better coming here!
Yes I trapped and neutered Charlie last year.

rubysmama rubysmama Walli is doing ok, made slight progress, she really is not an aggressive cat and I think she might welcome the cats in the
back yard, possibly they can share her catio some day I promise to take pics this weekend and post by next week.
I am going to try and post this awesome tip I figured out, I found some fleas on Joey and figured Walli had to have some too
I cannot give Walli flea drops so I racked my brain when I heard about the Credelio flea tablets for cats.
and I invented this!!!!!

How to give Feral's a pill:
Get some edible glue, I got mine at Hobby Lobby
I used a greenies hairball treat (she loves them) they are the same size as a temptation so that would work too
actually any treat that is not too small would work.
I cut the treat in half very carefully, I scraped out the middle (pretty easy as the middle was kind of soft)
I used the glue and put glue on each side of the treat put the pill in there and put it together!
It didn't close completely but cats are not that smart thankfully!!!
if you have a difficult cat, you could crush up some treat and put that in too if you think
they will smell the pill.
Walli had no problem and I have never been sucessful with any pill, composite, pill pocket-NOTHING works for her!!
I just tossed her a treat and got her in gobble down mode and then tossed her the pill treat!!!!!!

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you are so supportive C calicosrspecial Thanks so much for reading and responding!
I knew I would feel better coming here!
Yes I trapped and neutered Charlie last year.

rubysmama rubysmama Walli is doing ok, made slight progress, she really is not an aggressive cat and I think she might welcome the cats in the
back yard, possibly they can share her catio some day I promise to take pics this weekend and post by next week.
I am going to try and post this awesome tip I figured out, I found some fleas on Joey and figured Walli had to have some too
I cannot give Walli flea drops so I racked my brain when I heard about the Credelio flea tablets for cats.
and I invented this!!!!!

How to give Feral's a pill:
Get some edible glue, I got mine at Hobby Lobby
I used a greenies hairball treat (she loves them) they are the same size as a temptation so that would work too
actually any treat that is not too small would work.
I cut the treat in half very carefully, I scraped out the middle (pretty easy as the middle was kind of soft)
I used the glue and put glue on each side of the treat put the pill in there and put it together!
It didn't close completely but cats are not that smart thankfully!!!
if you have a difficult cat, you could crush up some treat and put that in too if you think
they will smell the pill.
Walli had no problem and I have never been sucessful with any pill, composite, pill pocket-NOTHING works for her!!
I just tossed her a treat and got her in gobble down mode and then tossed her the pill treat!!!!!!
Awwwwwww, love to hear from you.

Great that you TNR'd Charlie.

I am guessing he has some food insecurity issues. :/ Happens often.

Keep up the great work!!! :)

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pics of Shelter and Walli's Catio
the shelter has doors that you cannot see in the pictures it's a screen door that we put plexiglass on to enclose it.
catio definitely still needs some work, it's a gazebo from wayfarer that we modified

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The enclosure is absolutely amazing!!!! Your cats are so very very lucky to have you. Are any of the cats inside the enclosure yet?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yesterday was the 1st day and Sammy got out, I think I know how he did it
we will fix a few things and try again this weekend!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pics of Shelter and Walli's Catio
the shelter has doors that you cannot see in the pictures it's a screen door that we put plexiglass on to enclose it.
catio definitely still needs some work, it's a gazebo from wayfarer that we modified
WOW!! AMAZING!!! :)

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if I posted that Tex got bit in the face about a month ago, I need to get him in my back yard
ASAP, there is a another cat coming around I can't even think about right now, He may be from the
colony down the street, not sure yet, we still have much to do in the yard but we are focusing on
doing the things that keep them in, cats are so sneaky and strong, if there is a tiny crack they will find it.
I'm going to try and get him in tonite, by coaxing him in the back yard and then closing the gates.
we have 2 gates, I have a feeling he is going to get out, I'm working on making the yard pleasing to them.
I still have work to do in this area, I know cats like lots of shade and I don't have any trees, I put up a patio thing
that has a shade on it and their new shelter provides a lot of shade.
I wish I could speak cat and let them know what's going on, because the only one that is very chill is blacky
he just rolls in the dirt back there and I think he will love it, and love not having to leave the property every
morning to go hang out in the neighborhood, Blacky and Sammy stay in the garage every night.
I cannot get Tex in there with them.

fyi Tex is fine, I trapped him and took to vet, he looks funny half is face is shaved!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if I posted that Tex got bit in the face about a month ago, I need to get him in my back yard
ASAP, there is a another cat coming around I can't even think about right now, He may be from the
colony down the street, not sure yet, we still have much to do in the yard but we are focusing on
doing the things that keep them in, cats are so sneaky and strong, if there is a tiny crack they will find it.
I'm going to try and get him in tonite, by coaxing him in the back yard and then closing the gates.
we have 2 gates, I have a feeling he is going to get out, I'm working on making the yard pleasing to them.
I still have work to do in this area, I know cats like lots of shade and I don't have any trees, I put up a patio thing
that has a shade on it and their new shelter provides a lot of shade.
I wish I could speak cat and let them know what's going on, because the only one that is very chill is blacky
he just rolls in the dirt back there and I think he will love it, and love not having to leave the property every
morning to go hang out in the neighborhood, Blacky and Sammy stay in the garage every night.
I cannot get Tex in there with them.

fyi Tex is fine, I trapped him and took to vet, he looks funny half is face is shaved!
Was that another bite? I do know he was bitten in the face at least once. :/

"I need to get him in my back yard ASAP," - Try not to stress and just do your best.

"there is a another cat coming around I can't even think about right now, He may be from the
colony down the street, not sure yet," - Yep, probably more than one or there is a dominant male in charge guarding the territory. :/

" we still have much to do in the yard but we are focusing on doing the things that keep them in, " - Yes, just do your best.

"cats are so sneaky and strong, if there is a tiny crack they will find it." - EXACTLY!!! :/

"I'm going to try and get him in tonite, by coaxing him in the back yard and then closing the gates.
we have 2 gates, " - Great, good luck!!!

"I have a feeling he is going to get out, I'm working on making the yard pleasing to them." - Well, just do your best. That is all you can do.

"I still have work to do in this area, I know cats like lots of shade and I don't have any trees, I put up a patio thing
that has a shade on it and their new shelter provides a lot of shade." - That is great. Just try not to stress and try to secure the perimeter then fit out the inside. Houses can provide good shade as well.

"I wish I could speak cat and let them know what's going on," - Hahahaha, well, I think you do well.

" because the only one that is very chill is blacky" - Yes, some cats are better than others. :/

"he just rolls in the dirt back there and I think he will love it, and love not having to leave the property every
morning to go hang out in the neighborhood," - Awwwwwwwwwww, awesome

" Blacky and Sammy stay in the garage every night." - Great

"I cannot get Tex in there with them." - Well, they will do what they want to do. Hopefully he comes around as I am sure it is nicer.

"fyi Tex is fine, I trapped him and took to vet, he looks funny half is face is shaved!" - GREAT!!! What a wonderful update!! Fantastic!!!

GREAT JOB!!!

Hang in there. I KNOW it is stressful, frustrating, etc but you really are doing great. :)

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for taking the time to read my update and thanks for the encouragement!!
we are going to try putting them in the yard again this weekend.
Sammy is the Tester cat, if he can get out it's a no go. Tex is pretty tough too.