I Got My Feral In The House Today!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent !!! So the vet yesterday? Or tomorrow?
He got neutered yesterday, I ended up volunteering at the clinic, they neutered 70 cats!
my friend trapped 7, I got to carry him to the warming room, he had a scary complication for a few minutes
but he is all good! I am releasing him @ 10am this morning I will go home from work.
I guess some people release first thing, but I want him to have more time to eat and drink water.
It is very hard for me to see them in the trap so long but I think it was best for him to stay awhile longer.
Joey knows someone is in the garage!! hee hee

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great!! He is a lot better off now. I am so glad he got through it safely.

The clinic did a great job. That is really helpful.

I too hold the males for at least a day. I actually use the time as a way to bond a bit to ease the stress. You made the best choice in my opinion.

Yep, the cats will know. :( Hopefully he doesn't get too upset. Fingers crossed.

GREAT JOB!!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walli seems to be making some baby steps! She was very brave yesterday, she stayed in the house while we
were inside and even while the trick or treaters came to the door.
She didn't run to her catio when Joey jumped on the counter to see her in the room
(he can see her from the counter only) the view is blocked.
She is letting me approach the catio without her running up into the cubby hole, and give her treats.
she still won't eat the treats when I'm close to the catio tho!
Oh! and she played with her 3 tiered ball spinny toy while we were in the house!
I have not heard her play while we were up in a very long time, My girl was so brave yesterday!

Starting to plan out the bigger catio, it will be a couple months before we can start I do believe.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have a question, does anyone know how I can get Walli to go through a flap door?
I have to put a cat door into her entrance to the catio, it's just too cold with the setup I have with now.
I may have to start a new thread!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I taught Ruby to use hers by throwing treats through the door. But I was on one side of the cat flap door and someone else on the the other side, and we just kinda pushed Ruby through it till she got the idea. That probably won't work for you, since one side is in the catio.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! Those articles are helpful, I will prop open the flap for awhile
I so put this off, I was suppose to do this in September, now it's cold at night
but I think were ok, her room is getting to 60 so I'm ok still, going to try and
get it up tomorrow.
hee hee! your right Rubysmama Walli won't be anywhere near us if we are in the room.

I think Ferals are pretty smart and she will figure it out, but I'm sure she's not use
to pushing something with her head!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
but I'm sure she's not use
to pushing something with her head!
I'll have to watch Ruby next time she uses hers, but I think she initially pushes it with her paw, and then pushes the rest of her body through.

Foundkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do have a question, does anyone know how I can get Walli to go through a flap door?
I have to put a cat door into her entrance to the catio, it's just too cold with the setup I have with now.
I may have to start a new thread!
I have a cat door to the outside of my house my cat is indoor/outdoor. My door is about window hi in a window. I just showed cat the ledge to the door from outside. I held the door open and he went thru once. After that he figured it out on his own

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome F Foundkitty !
I hope Walli figures out the cat door, It was kind of a freakout putting the cat flap in as we had to go in her room and adjust the window.
before I went to bed she was in the catio and I propped the cat flap with a piece of paper so when she came in it closed.
she did not figure it out and she was hiding under the piano bench this morning! poor girl!
I propped it all the way open today, she had enough stress yesterday with all the noise
I will try again tonight!

Walli is very Feral, she is about 6-7 years old, it's taking lots of time. But I love her so much!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walli went out the cat door last night, I closed the flap as it was cold and raining
This morning I went outside and she was out there!
Bad news tho, I didn't realize the cat flap somehow got one of the switches flipped
She could go out but she couldn't get back in.
I was wondering why she wasn't coming in for breakfast, so I went and checked.
I'm so kicking myself, here we made progress and a huge mistake was made, the last time
I closed the flap it was working both ways, not sure what happened, yesterday I closed the flap
from the catio so maybe I hit the switch or something,
I hate myself right now!!!!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Walli went out the cat door last night, I closed the flap as it was cold and raining
This morning I went outside and she was out there!
Bad news tho, I didn't realize the cat flap somehow got one of the switches flipped
She could go out but she couldn't get back in.
I was wondering why she wasn't coming in for breakfast, so I went and checked.
I'm so kicking myself, here we made progress and a huge mistake was made, the last time
I closed the flap it was working both ways, not sure what happened, yesterday I closed the flap
from the catio so maybe I hit the switch or something,
I hate myself right now!!!!
Ahhhh, I feel for you! I'm so sorry the flap malfunctioned - what an awful feeling when you realized what happened. I hope she doesn't regress as much as you're afraid of. Do you think there was any part of her that was relieved to have regained entry? How was she the rest of the day?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is smart! She went out again this morning
I propped the flap with a piece of paper so she would go back in.
I think she was waiting for me to open the door like yesterday.
I think I will work with her this weekend with the door, and make sure she is going
in and out, I was so thankful that she even went out the cat door this morning!
whew! I was so mad at myself yesterday, The whole day!!!
Thanks all! I will keep you updated on the cat flap debacle!