I Got My Feral In The House Today!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I got my Feral in the house today!
I had started feeding her inside the back door a few months ago, and this morning closed the door while she was in.
She is home alone, hopefully checking out the place, she was a bit scared and hid behind the couch before we left.
I have 3 litter boxes with Litter attract in it, I hope she uses it. I think it will be quite a while before I can get her to the vet, it's taken me a year since the trapping to get her somewhat trustful. Just wondering what I should look for if I need to put her back out, or should we just assume she is going to be scared for awhile. I guess my question is what next?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It would really be best if you could give her a room of her own to start with. Having the whole house is often just too overwhelming and also dangerous. If she is very scared she could hide somewhere that may be difficult for you to find her. Whenever I bring a feral/stray cat inside, they always get a room of their own to start. The room is cat proofed so they cannot get under a bed or under/behind large furniture. This allows the cat to be in a safe environment while getting used to indoor living. If the cat is hiding, it makes it very difficult to continue with socialization.

She may yowl/howl, cry, etc.. for days begging to go outside. It is best to just let her be upset for a few days. Most will calm down in less than a week. Feliway plug ins can really help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my bedroom door closed so she can't get in there.
I do have a room for her, I will try and get her in there, and get some Feliway.
I hope Petco has it, but I think you have to order it.
This has been quite an adventure this past year, and it continues, It's almost less stressful having
her in the house as I don't have to worry about her being outside.
I pray it goes well for her! You guys are great! Never realized how many of us are out there.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Petco should carry it. Yet it will most likely be more expensive than Amazon. Be sure the room you have for her is cat proofed. You don't want her hiding under a bed or behind a large piece of furniture. A cat tree or perch by a window would be great if that is in your budget. My 3 prefer to sit on the cat trees at night and look out.

Inside is definitely best for her. It is so much less stressful having them inside. I worried each and every night for 7 years. When I actually got my 3 inside, I cried as it was such a relief. Just stick with it.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So how did she do being “home alone”?

Wow, months of feeding and now you both get a reward: she gets security, love, food, and always a warm place to sleep. You get purrs, head butts, and knowing that when you hear the rain or ice hitting the window outside she is safe probably curled up beside you!

Great!,,

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently bought 2 ferals perm indoors and neutered also shots, they r doig better, still sitting by our back door, toook outside and middle of the night 1 goes on the counter by kitchen sink to look outside window. They both have a safe room upstairs hang out in
It is sad how much they want put, go by our glass door where they use to go in and out from and they still cry and pace back and fourth. They have been indoors since dec 28. They seem happy and then have their moments. I try and play alot with both and they arent always interested. I have mice and toys downstairs and in the 1 room. I habe a cpndo ordered too. They loved the condo we had outdoors so i got them
another
I just want them soon to be happy. Dont want my cats
ever stress or cry or be anxious, i feel nad for my cats when i see both like that.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats absolutely are not fond of change. Yours have gone through a big one. It has only been two weeks since they were brought in, and that is not a long time in a cat's world. I think it is great you are getting them another condo, that will provide a welcome distraction. I can feel your love and concern, just keep thinking it is for THEIR safety and comfort you are doing this.
All cats look out the window and yearn to be out there, it is full of adventure and lots of interesting things to look at. Even cats that have NEVER been out want to be. Looking out the window gives them something to do to keep from being bored. So try to look at it as giving them entertainment instead of being kept from enjoying the outdoors. But it is also full of vicious dogs, mean tom cats, cars and cat hating people. Children want what is dangerous too, but it is up to us to keep them safe and to teach them what is expected.
I don't know where you live, but is it possible to build them an outdoor enclosure to give them some time outside? Or even one of those fancy chicken coops they have now, I often look at them as cat enclosures!
I know how you feel, you want them to be happy. But they can learn to be happy indoors too, all they really need is your love! It just takes lots of time for a cat to adjust, in your case up to a year.

Walli, thank you so much for loving that little one. It is going to be quite the experience to get your little one to adjust, it just takes lots of time and patience. Don't expect great things to happen right away. Your little one will most likely hide for a couple of weeks, but eventually will adjust. I have had them hide for over a month, just coming out at night to eat and use the litter box. Talk quietly to yours and leave yummy treats, they can't resist!

Last edited:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Sheesh what a heartbreaker it was last night.
Yesterday while we were at work she went poo in the laundry room, when I got home I put a litter box there sprinkled with some organic dirt on top (I have 4 right now) hee hee, well she went pee in it last night yay! she kicked out a bunch
of the litter/dirt but minor problem. We have never heard a peep out of her in the past year, but last night it wasn't a
"yowl" I don't think but kind of a crying meow? maybe that is called a yowl. I felt really guilty, but remembered someone posted that they truly are better off. She was hiding last night but came out this morning into the hallway to "meow"
at us. I sat with her a bit and it seemed to calm her, I think the first day has already made progress, I don't think
I will need to contain her in the room as our house is open and I keep my bedroom door closed, plus she has been in the
house before, one time she was kickin it on the couch! (by the open door of course) We just need an abundance of patience right now. I really would like to give her a bath, but I know I can't yet. I'm overwhelmed but grateful for all of you, I learned everything I know about Ferals here. Funny I wouldn't want anyone coming over right now, I have a bunch of litter boxes everywhere, I am a crazy cat lady now! Thank God my husband is supportive that really helps.
I'm going to get that Feliway any good results from anyone on that? I don't think she liked the composure treats, not sure.
Big Hugs and blessings to all!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Congrats on getting your feral girl into your home. And thank you for caring for her. :petcat:

I have no personal experience with ferals, but read these threads and love following the progress as they become lovable, happy inside cats. :catrub:

Has she been spayed yet? If not, that would be one of your first goals. And, of course, getting a general vet checkup for shots, deworming, etc.

Does she have a name yet? And any pictures you can post. :camera:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I trapped her Last December and had her spayed and they clipped her ear.
She was not trustful after the trapping it's been a long road.
Kind of embarrassing but her Name is Walli, I should change my Name to Wallis Mama!
I will be able to get a picture of her soon.
I really want to get her to the Vet and a Bath! But this will be my next learning experience
I don't want to push it right now.
We lost our 18 year old indoor/outdoor (backyard) kitty a couple months ago so she is our only cat now.
I will be considering the catio thing in the future, Have enough going now!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's great that you already had her spayed. At least you don't have to worry about hormones and heat cycles interfering with her new life. And you don't have kittens to socialize along with Walli.

Condolences on the loss of your 18 year old kitty. I hope Walli will help ease the pain of your loss. RIP sweet kitty. :angel:

And Walli works for a username. She's the main focus right now. :catrub:

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Sheesh what a heartbreaker it was last night.
Yesterday while we were at work she went poo in the laundry room, when I got home I put a litter box there sprinkled with some organic dirt on top (I have 4 right now) hee hee, well she went pee in it last night yay! she kicked out a bunch
of the litter/dirt but minor problem. We have never heard a peep out of her in the past year, but last night it wasn't a
"yowl" I don't think but kind of a crying meow? maybe that is called a yowl. I felt really guilty, but remembered someone posted that they truly are better off. She was hiding last night but came out this morning into the hallway to "meow"
at us. I sat with her a bit and it seemed to calm her, I think the first day has already made progress, I don't think
I will need to contain her in the room as our house is open and I keep my bedroom door closed, plus she has been in the
house before, one time she was kickin it on the couch! (by the open door of course) We just need an abundance of patience right now. I really would like to give her a bath, but I know I can't yet. I'm overwhelmed but grateful for all of you, I learned everything I know about Ferals here. Funny I wouldn't want anyone coming over right now, I have a bunch of litter boxes everywhere, I am a crazy cat lady now! Thank God my husband is supportive that really helps.
I'm going to get that Feliway any good results from anyone on that? I don't think she liked the composure treats, not sure.
Big Hugs and blessings to all!
Hi Walli's mom,
You are doing such a great thing--I am also blessed with a kind husband who loves kitties as much as I do. We have 12 totally indoor cats now, 8 of whom came from our yard in SW Connecticut. We've had TWO feral mamas with kittens, plus just took in a THIRD semiferal female who we've been feeding 2x a day for about 18 mo. Someone else had her TNR'd in June 2016, but she's been coming to our house for food so consistently that we have to assume she probably wasn't being fed elsewhere. The weather was so bitterly cold and storm was coming, so we finally bit the bullet and had her trapped on 1/2/18 by a friend--so now she is in our spare bathroom. She is not thrilled but not miserable.
I guess my point is to be encouraging about domesticating ferals. Our first mom (July 2013) had 4 kittens--we trapped everyone and brought them in. The kittens were 4 wks old, so we were able to easily socialize them. Mama Hanna took 2.5 years before my husband could pet her. I still can't touch her, no matter how nice/quiet/slow I am. But she loves her daddy and was a perfect angel at the vet. She plays like a kitten after years of not knowing what toys were for, and she is good with all the other cats. The vet had initially written her off as "totally feral"--but we were patient, kept her in, and she has NO interest in going back out.
Feral mama #2 showed up this June with 3 kittens and the Baby Daddy also keeping watch on the kits. Again we trapped all--this time the kittens were 8-10 weeks. Even Daddy got fixed! This mama kitty--maybe 18 mo old, warmed up to us pretty quickly. Can't pick her up but can pet her face/chin. A good friend has 2 of her kittens and we kept one. Baby Daddy is living at the rescue lady's house because we've seen a coyote 3x in our yard, so we couldn't take him back here.
I feel lucky to be able to help. Money is tight, but there is a lot of love in our house.
Keep up the good work!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazing how many of us are out there, I had no idea about Ferals
Now I see there are others in the neighborhood, they were coming around here, but I think someone feeds them.
Maybe someday I can do more, I'm maxed out as My Mom who has Alzheimers fell and broke her hip and
we are in a transition with that too. I don't think my Husband would be supportive of me having a colony:lol:
But the type of person I am, with enough funds and time I could see myself doing this.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm kind of worried about Fleas and Parasites has anyone sedated a cat in order
for a mobile vet to come and see the cat? I don't want to trap her again

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about bathing her right now, unless she has feces visible on her rear end, etc., it would definitely stress her out. Cats are clean creatures, I have never bathed any of mine. I keep waterless towelettes made for cats handy if one gets too dirty rolling in the dirt, etc,. they are great. You could take care of both parasites (which she most likely has, all cats do.) and fleas at the same time, with a good topical med. They need a vets permission, so call him and ask, I order mine on PetMeds, and other sites on the internet. Advantage 'Multi' is a good one, it takes care of ear mites too. Tapeworms can be taken care of with Profender, I give that to my outdoor cat regularly because he eats a lot of mice and rabbits. Just make sure if you do use one, to get it high enough up on the neck, almost between and below the ears, if you put it between the shoulder blades they can lick it. They become amazing contortionists at a time like that! They get almost poisoned, foaming at the mouth, running like crazy, etc. once was more than enough for me! It works really well for ferals or cats that are hard to pill, you just rub the back of their neck and part the hair, squeezing it on quickly and it is done. It's a little pricey, but well worth it to me, and much cheaper than a vet visit. Bless you for taking that sweet girl in!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, you don't need to bathe her. The dirty look is often caused by fleas and worms. Once I got the Frontline on my two feral cats and gave them Drontal for the worms, their coats looked much better. They keep themselves really clean. Also, clumping litter helps keep them clean, since you are scooping out all the waste.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not able to give her a topical yet, I have given her comforts for 2 months in her food, The last one which was a few days ago was not successful, she didn't eat all her food.
She did well today tho, She meowed today and was sitting in the kitchen! 1st time coming out of her room while I was home, I was able to sit about a few feet from her and I slowly scooted forward and then I made the mistake of grabbing the wand feather toy I just bought and she backed up, This is progress tho, tomorrow morning will be a full 3 days.
I read to her and sang her a couple songs, hee hee I think she liked it.
I kind of go in and out of freaking out about fleas, but I can't do anything just yet. I hope she lets me handle her
soon so I can put a topical on her.
Thanks! It helps to get this all out.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Congratulations ! You now have a housemate . Be careful of long untrimmed claws .
Best wishes ...