I got lied to.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So recently I posted a forum about my suspicions that my "himalayan" girl was not actually himalayan. Well, of course my suspicions were bothering me so bad that I decided to have my girl DNA tested (my cousin works for the VT veterinary school so she was overly excited for this and it didn't cost me anything) and it turns out my girl is a Balinese/Siamese 100%. This is EXACTLY what I thought she was, the older she gets, the lankier and she has silky/flowy medium length hair that doesn't even need to be brushed with a huge plumed tail rather than the thick grove of fur that a himalayan has. 

Now for the drama with the breeder! I of course felt the need to confront her over this odd circumstance of selling a purebred cat as another purebred cat (i could see trying to sell a moggie this way but she could have profited just as well with a balinese??) and she of course gave me a sob story over how she couldn't sell them and she had, had her himalayans fixed but she used them as the parents I met and blah blah short story i was scammed into fake papers and something i SHOULD have seen coming a mile away. Needless to say I was given a full refund in attempts for her to avoid law charges. I was furious more so at myself than anything for giving into an elaborate scam like this, I should have known better when she said my girl was the only one from the litter, in reality i figure she was the fuzziest kitten and the only one that could have passed as a himmie. It was my first time buying a "purebred" cat and I didn't know what to expect or look for, or what the red flags were-- but i guess i'm writing this both to rant and to warn people that people will lie about the most ridiculous things to sell animals; even though this woman had purebred cats she didn't even have to lie about!!!! So just be warned people, there is a database with CFA of reputable breeders, and if they aren't on there I would not trust them, because just about anybody can fake papers these days. 

Luckily I did get a beloved pet out of this whole thing, and she means the world to me. 

she for sure passed as a Himmie here.

But here, she is very obviously a balinese. 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience with the breeder, but you did get a beautiful cat. She's lovely.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She definitely looks like a Siamese.  I am so sorry the breeder lied to you, unfortunately I think there are more backyard type breeders then responsible breeders with the knowledge needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She definitely looks like a Siamese.  I am so sorry the breeder lied to you, unfortunately I think there are more backyard type breeders then responsible breeders with the knowledge needed.
I agree with you, I was actually knowledgable about backyard breeders and tried my hardest to avoid this exact circumstance. It's getting to the point where it's hard to tell who's credible and who's not until after the fact.

dixielandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that happened to you. I know alot of breeders that try to fake buyers out. Just because a kitten has papers doesn't mean your getting a purebred, I have seen breeders selling normal domestic kittens claiming they are Siamese or Himalayan. It's unbelievable the stuff they try to pull! They are just in it for the money not the quality of the cat. But your lucky you got your money back and a purebred even though it wasn't a purebred Himalayan. She is a truly beautiful cat!![emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji]
She looks like my kitten!Do you think he is a purebred Siamese??

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your kitten is a bit fuzzy for a Siamese but she definitely looks like she has ancestry from a Siamese, possibly even one of her parents being full bred.
In order for a cat to be pointed in color their parents must be a carrier of the gene, but not necessarily be pointed themselves. So say her mom could have been a Siamese, but her daddy could have been just a regular brown tabby who carried the pointed color gene.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
haleyds haleyds

I'm sorry the breeder lied to you :( and I agree that was definitely unnecessary on her part. She could have just told the truth and sold the kitten as a balinese.

About the DNA test though, I was under the impression that they couldn't tell you what breed the cat was? But if they can, could you be able to tell me where you got the DNA test? I have a cat that I suspect is a Norwegian Forest Cat (or at least closely related to one) that was dumped by a backyard breeder.

This is the cat in question:

And a profile shot:

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too am sorry you got lied to. I too question the breeding of my first ever purebred Maine Coon. The breeder I adopted him from encouraged us not to get his papers (telling us she'd have to charge us extra if we wanted them and that we didn't need them and could always get them later if we decided we wanted them). When I realized we should have got them I asked and of course kept getting ignored. Finally I was told that kittens with papers cost an extra $1000 above what we'd paid, then I was told that he never should have had papers because only breeders and show cats get papers (but later this was negated when she said she'd offered me papers and I'd said no). When I questions his breeding she got mean very quickly. It's sad when people aren't doing the right thing and are only in it for the money. She probably could have sold her as a cross breed but she probably wouldn't have got the amount you paid (I'm glad you got your money back though and your baby is beautiful regardless as is my boy).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DNA does give the make up of the cat, but everyone should remember that all purebreds started out as crossbred, so somewhere MANY generations back there may be some breed that made up the original one, and still may be in the makeup. Of course they give you a percentage of how much each particular breed is, so any 'off'' breed should be a VERY low percentage of the makeup. If it is high, it is a recent breeding and the breeder could be challenged. And you would have proof. It is fascinating to see what breeds make up your particular animal, and although some what expensive, worth it in some cases.  PS My sister oredered her DNA test for her dog over the internet.

Last edited:

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
raina21 raina21 I got my DNA test done through the Virginia tech vet school because I have a cousin who works there, and as di and bob di and bob said, they don't so much as tell you a breed, they tell you the cats background and heritage, which can lead you to what is in your cat. If it has very high percentages of certain breeds but then say 2% on another breed, that 2% would have been something from its heritage wayyy back in the creating of the breed. Usually whoever you get it from can help you to understand your results, and i highly doubt any cat will ever be 100% of something because as stated above, cat breeds were created from a miltitude of other cats.
Also there's lots of online services that are usually cheaper than institutional testing, the only reason I went through the school is because I got it practically for free through my cousin. (Lucky me)

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your cat is very beautiful!!!!! I think you did much better than you would have with a hemilayan. Hemilayan's have smushed in faces and are known as brachycephalic. They often have a hard time breathing and have a lot of health problems. Just Google brachycephalic syndrome and you will understand. Your cat is very beautiful, I'm quite jealous!