I gained a stray cats trust and was able to pick him up and put him in a carrier. He manage to get o

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

imatwyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How did the vet trip go?
Ms. Aimee,

I apologize for not getting back here faster. It's been a little hectic after taking Buddy in and all the wonderful things that go along with bringing a strange cat into your home and dealing with your cats who are already residing in the home. The doctor examined Buddy and as I thought he had ear mites. The doctor said he has had the ear mites for a couple of years, he had fleas which were treated along with the ear mites. He opened up Buddy's mouth and all he had was one tooth and that isn't in good shape at all. The doctor said that is where the decay smell is coming from. He took one look at Buddy's face and said cats like Buddy are tougher than a Mac truck. They pretty much take a lickin and keep on tickin. He gave me antibiotic to give to him and some liquid vitamins. He even suggested, after I asked if he could give me some ideas on what I could feed Buddy, trying baby food in the jar. He hasn't been fixed so in a couple of weeks once the antibiotic has had a chance to begin clearing up the infection in his tooth then I will schedule for him to be neutered. When we got home from the vet he was so exhausted he wouldn't even come out of the cat carrier. Today is the first time he is finally coming out from under the bed and getting back to his old self. I will keep you informed on how he is doing as we go through the process of integrating him into domestic living.

imatwyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great job! You did it!
I did!! Right before I picked Buddy up and brought him into my apartment I was so nervous that I was thinking of every excuse to not do it. I knew though if I didn't bring him in there would be no vet appointment for him and he would continue having all the issues he had. That right there motivated me to step outside of my fear of failing and just do it. I'm so glad I did!!

imatwyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aw man that story was Awesome!!!
I am trying to get a Feral in my house too, she has popped in a couple times.
Thank you, it's been an extremely long journey winning Buddy's trust and affection. It has taken a lot of patience and tenderness to gain his trust. When he would come I would softly yell ... Buddy!!!! with so much excitement. I would take food to him and then sit with him the whole time he would eat. I always talked to him, sometimes I just rambled cuz he was there and could hear me. I would pet him when I could and I never pushed myself on him. If he didn't want to be petted then I just left him alone. Right before I brought him inside I started picking him up in my arms. He would immediately fight to get down so I would immediately put him down. I never just held onto him. My goal was for him to know he could trust me completely. Of course when I did bring him in I held him by the back of his neck so he couldn't do anything. He is laying on my bed right now and he's never had it so good, that I am quite confident of.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there. I'm so glad you were able to get him to the vet! Buddy will feel so much better without the fleas and ear mites. Did you get him tested for feline leukemia and AIDS? It's called a SNAP test and it costs about $45. When you get him neutered, you should really get him this test before you integrate him with your other cats. There would be almost no chance of him transmitting AIDS to the other cats if he were to have that because it is transmitted by deep bite wound and Buddy doesn't have any teeth. But feline leukemia can be transmitted by saliva. Get the test done for your peace of mind. Also, can you give him some canned food mixed with some water? Kitten chow has extra protein and very small morsels that he can lap up without having to use his teeth. It sounds like Buddy is ready to settle down and live a comfortable life of an indoor cat, and you can have peace of mind that he will be safe and happy in your house. Thanks for getting him vet care. I know it can be expensive and anxiety inducing, but it is so well worth it to see your cat getting strong and feeling better. Buddy will be a true buddy for life ☺

imatwyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is Buddy doing?
He's living like royalty!! For displaying all of the characteristics of a feral cat he had ended up being the most gentle, loving little guy. I sit on the floor and he likes to lay in between my legs. He also like to put the top of his head up against me. He has the tiniest meow. He is doing so well. I have a window seat so he can look outside if he wants to. He doesn't seem to be the least bit interestested in going back outside.

imatwyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How did the vet trip go?
I am not sure if I already replied to this or if this is a new post asking me about the vet. It went well. We went two weeks ago and the doctor looked him over. He said Buddy had ear mites and put some medicine in his ears to kill them. When Buddy would shake his head it sounded like water sloshing. He still shakes his head from time to time but not like it was. We are getting ready to go back to the doctor today in about 40 minutes so he can get a rabies shot. I'm going to set up an appointment while I am there for him to be neutered. He only has one tooth in his mouth and that one is not in good shape. Buddy has been on antibiotic which I am assuming was for the tooth. Buddy is the sweetest little guy. I couldn't be happier

imatwyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is Buddy doing?
He is doing so good. He is living like royalty!! We are getting ready to go to the vet so he can get some immunizations. The vet thought that Buddy was about 10 years old. Buddy has no issues being inside either, which I didn't think he would. I took another stray in about 2 1/2 years ago and he never "looked back" when it came to going outside either