I found my cat dead

tony arimas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My beautiful 3 year old Maine Coon kitty Bandit was totally healthy and his entertaining self. This am I found him dead in my flower garden.i am so torn. The ground is frozen I can't even bury till my friends come over to help. The last thing he pigged out on was 9 lives beef in the small cans at least 2 of them.He was fine singing talking telling me what to do. Where did I go wrong?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tony arimas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Never again with commercial wet foods,real tuna only or dry I lost my bestest friend Bandit 3 year old Maine Coon .Bandit was so loving and so human like.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
@Tony Arimas  I'm so sorry, my heart goes out to you.  Last year my beloved, Brian, died a horrific death from antifreeze poisoning and although I know in my head it wasn't my fault, in my heart I blame myself for letting him go outside in the 1st place.  And that I didn't rush him to hospital in the middle of the night when I first suspected something was wrong but waited until the morning instead.  Guilt is a part of grief.  My grief for him is still very real and present all the time.  But I know that when close human friends have died that grief does lessen with time.  Although, my grief for Brian doesn't appear to be going anywhere fast.  Being on this site and talking about him is helping massively though.  

You didn't go wrong.  The saying, "curiosity killed the cat" is well known for good reason.  Cats will poke their noses in, nibble on dangly bits, and generally prod and play with anything and everything.  That's what makes them so endearing to us.  You just need to learn about all the possible cat poisons outside and inside your home, and there are MANY, to make sure it never happens again.  I'm ultra aware of any potential poisoning now and immediately tell people to seek veterinary help straight away.  

You poor thing 
 Lots of love 

Last edited by a moderator:

greypaws

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My beautiful 3 year old Maine Coon kitty Bandit was totally healthy and his entertaining self. This am I found him dead in my flower garden.i am so torn. The ground is frozen I can't even bury till my friends come over to help. The last thing he pigged out on was 9 lives beef in the small cans at least 2 of them.He was fine singing talking telling me what to do. Where did I go wrong?
I am so very sorry for your loss. The food you fed was not the reason for his passing. Somehow, he got into poison while outside, that is what killed him, not the food. This time of year anti freeze dripping off car engines is the biggest, but not only culprit. There are many deadly plants outdoors, use of many chemicals to treat grass/flowers/roads, careless storage of chemicals and other dangers that curious cat will not know can kill it.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear of this news. It is a terrible shock to have that happen, and never know what caused it. But as said, it was not the food you gave him - it was poison or he was hit by a car, which does not always show external injuries. Or he could even have had a heart attack, even at his age. I lost a cat last year from a cardiac arrest at 8 years old, and the vet told me had had a heart malformation and could have died at any time in his life. But it doesn't take the pain away.

kittykat2017

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
im sorry to hear of your loss, especially when it is so sudden, find a local cat lovers group for support if you can

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bandit is at peace now, leaving behind the one he loved most in this world to mourn. Guilt is always present in the grieving process, and the suffering it causes is a pain that tears at the soul. There are just too many variables here to determine what the cause of this tragedy was, an undiagnosed heart condition, poisoning, or internal injuries from being hit by a car are just a few. But no matter what, it caused his passing and your pain.  

Try to concentrate on the fact that Bandit would never want the one he loves so much to remember him with such pain. He would want for you to go on with your life and fill it with sunshine and happiness, just as you would want for him if you were the first to go. The bond you formed with that sweet boy can never be taken from you. He will send his love and comfort along that thread that connects your hearts and you can do the same. He was in your life for a reason, to love and bring you happiness, he brought much to you and your home. Honor his memory by passing on the legacy of love he leaves in your care, his sweetness will surround you for the rest of your life and help you to come to terms with the sorrow of his passing. My heart goes out to you, I'll pray for you both, I know the pain that can break a heart and crush a soul. It helps to share that sorrow with others who understand, to let a little of the pain escape by letting others take a little of your burden. Take care of yourself, time will bring some relief and dull the sharp edge of grief. RIP beautiful Bandit, you will never be forgotten and will always have a place in a loving heart. May your flight to the Rainbow Bridge be swift and the laps of the angels who greet you be warm! 

cataan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That sucks, I'm really sorry for you and for Bandit.  If you're like me you might blame yourself and ask what if for a long time -- coming up on three years in my case.  You can't change what happened -- you can learn from it and try to avoid it next time if that's even possible.  Maybe check to see what's in your garden?  Or it could have been completely out of your control.  Regardless, you have friends here who empathize and understand.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
You didn't go wrong anywhere, sometimes bad things just happen to good people for reasons we don't understand. So sorry you lost your little friend at such a young age.

I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless....

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear your story of your beloved Bandit.There are so many reasons for what could have happened.I know you feel responsible in some ways.Know that Bandit will live on in your heart forever.No one can ever take away the love you shared with him.I am grieving also.I lost my Omelette just two weeks ago,and the pain is intense.You can read my story on this thread.Everyone here knows how you feel.I am sending healing and hugs out to you.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Tony.

You did not go wrong. Sometimes these things happen. It must have been shocking to find him. There are amazing people on

this site. I lost my Kirsten on 7 October, 2016 at age 17. People here have been so sweet and understanding. This is still so fresh

for you. Take as much time as you need to grieve.

Mia