I Found a Single Flea, what do I do!

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, so Mei Mei hasn't had fleas in a very long time. Solely and indoor cat, no other cats. I'm not sure where this flea came from. And I haven't seen a second one??? In the past, I used Hartz Ultra guard flea collar with no issue. But after a few emergency health issues Mei has had I'm literally paranoid about anything I have to give him or do with him. Can someone give me some advice or peace of mind? I could give him a Dawn dish soap bath but it's below freezing where I live and I'm pretty sure that would stress him to the point of another FIC flsre up. 😭

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I hate to say it but generally speaking where there is one flea, there are usually more. Indoor cats can get them because people bring them in the house on their clothing or shoes. It may be possible that they are hitchhiking in on human clothing because of your colder weather. It takes continual freezing weather to help at least reduce their populations outdoors.

Even if there was only one flea, all it takes is a bite on Mei Mei to create the environment for re-production by that flea, the blood enables the flea to propagate. Keep checking him daily for more fleas/flea dirt and see if you find any. Right now, until you know if you really have an issue, a daily flea combing would be better than constant bathing.

Ravynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dealt with that last month too. Found one flea (didn't know it was a flea), next week I found another and then I got revolution for both my cat and dog. I haven't seen any more since and it's been weeks. It's been on and off mild here too. I'm assuming they hitchhiked in because when I squished them there was no blood so couldn't have been on him too long.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not knowing MeiMei's health issues, can you discuss with your Vet (via phone), the best thing to use to get rid of fleas that won't endanger his health? That would be my recommendation.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so Mei Mei hasn't had fleas in a very long time. Solely and indoor cat, no other cats. I'm not sure where this flea came from. And I haven't seen a second one??? In the past, I used Hartz Ultra guard flea collar with no issue. But after a few emergency health issues Mei has had I'm literally paranoid about anything I have to give him or do with him. Can someone give me some advice or peace of mind? I could give him a Dawn dish soap bath but it's below freezing where I live and I'm pretty sure that would stress him to the point of another FIC flsre up. 😭
I'm going to tell you not to use any Hartz product. What were the health issues and can you contact your veterinarian for guidance as to what to use for the the fleas.