I found a lump

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So last night Wickett was up on the couch with me as usual. I try to give him a thorough feel when ever I'm petting him to check for mats and tangles in his fur and I found a lump instead. It's at the very base of his tail on the left side. It's about the size of a small grape, feels sort of hard but movable too if that makes sense. They are both going back to the vet this month for teeth cleanings and I plan on having the vet check it then but in the mean time can I have some vibes that it's nothing serious?

DH thought maybe Frankie bit him because they do scuffle occasionally but I don't feel any scab or anything that would indicate a bite... and he's too furry for me to really see anything. He's the best snuggle buddy I have and I'd hate to see him unwell. This is us snuggling on the couch yesterday. I came home early because I'm getting sick and he knew just what I needed.

ETA: I just did some reading and his behavior hasn't changed. I don't know if it's changed size because I just found it but I'll keep a close eye on it. It's not warm and doesn't appear to be painful to him and it doesn't feel like it's really attached to the tissue under it.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's just a cyst or a skin thing...he looks so cozy with you, I can tell he's the best snuggle buddy

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thats the location where my cats have had an abscess....best to deal with those right away b4 they get worse...cause he will start to feel unwell...if thats what it is of course

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

So last night Wickett was up on the couch with me as usual. I try to give him a thorough feel when ever I'm petting him to check for mats and tangles in his fur and I found a lump instead. It's at the very base of his tail on the left side. It's about the size of a small grape, feels sort of hard but movable too if that makes sense. They are both going back to the vet this month for teeth cleanings and I plan on having the vet check it then but in the mean time can I have some vibes that it's nothing serious?
Sounds like the cyst I have in my boob
Only difference is that mine hurt.

Does it hurt him when you press on it? If not, I would highly suggest giving the vet a call and telling them about it as you may need to deal with it sooner rather than later.

that it is nothing serious. Tell Wickett no more chocolate or caffeine (both agrivate cysts LOL)

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went through the same thing last week! Took the cat to the vet and the lump turned out to be a cyst. I think he said something along the lines of, if you can pinch and all the stuff moves to the other end, like a water balloon, it's a cyst. I'm not 100% sure of that, though.

Try not to worry too much. It's probably much more likely to be a cyst.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would maybe call the vet, see if they think he should be seen now or if he can get by waiting until his appt.

Sometimes, from what I've seen, a mass that you can move more readily is nothing - yet other times, it's something....so I'm not sure I can offer any advice.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like a cyst to me. Ming Loy has one on her chin. We may get it removed - doc's going to decide in a few weeks. But it's been there since... November? If he's not in pain and everything else seems normal, I agree, just keep an eye on it's size until the dentals anyway.

it is nothing serious!

And for you to get well soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get appt with vet asap. Better safe than sorry. I had a Scottish fold that developed a pea sized bump in her rear leg that was very aggresive and it turned out to be cancer. We tried everything to save her with 2 operations and last chance was amputating her leg. She did not survive the cancer. I'm not trying to scare you but suspicious bumps should always be checked by the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the vibes everyone. I'm going to call the vet's office when on my next break in a few minutes and see what they think.
Originally Posted by abbycats

I would get appt with vet asap. Better safe than sorry. I had a Scottish fold that developed a pea sized bump in her rear leg that was very aggresive and it turned out to be cancer. We tried everything to save her with 2 operations and last chance was amputating her leg. She did not survive the cancer. I'm not trying to scare you but suspicious bumps should always be checked by the vet.
So sorry to hear your fold didn't make it. I couldn't live with myself if this turns out to be something serious knowing I waited when I could have called now.

ilovecats4ever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Coffy developed a bump on his wrist, about the size of a grape, I took him to a vet that said it was a cyst and I would put the cat through more trauma through surgery to remove it so that I should just let it go, 1 year later I noticed it was a little bigger and he was biting at it, so I took him to another vet that said right away, that has to come off it is cancer, I got my Coffy in the next day for surgery and he removed it, that was about 4 years ago, he is healthy as can be. He also seemed to be so happy when he came home from the vet's almost like he knew it was cancer and happy that I took care of him. I always feel his wrist to see if it came back but so far everything is fine. I pray yours is only a cyst or normal bump.

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your kitty looks just like my Thor

Here's hoping it's just a cyst and nothing to worry about!
for you and your little snuggle bug there

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Any news? Did the vet think he should come in soon?

for fluffy Wickett
Sorry, it's been a mad week at work. The vet told me to keep an eye on it and if there are any changes to bring him in ASAP. If nothing changes between now and the 27th (their next appointment) then we're going to wait. It's going to be a long few weeks and I'm sure Wickett is going to get tired of me feeling him up but I'm checking it twice a day to see if it's moving or growing. If it does either he's going straight in.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Keeping my fingers crossed that it is nothing serious

Wickett
I'll be sure to pass your hugs along to him when I get home tonight.

myfamiliars

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Sorry, it's been a mad week at work. The vet told me to keep an eye on it and if there are any changes to bring him in ASAP. If nothing changes between now and the 27th (their next appointment) then we're going to wait. It's going to be a long few weeks and I'm sure Wickett is going to get tired of me feeling him up but I'm checking it twice a day to see if it's moving or growing. If it does either he's going straight in.
Aw, poor Wickett. Still sending good vibes his way.

P.S. He's a guy, so he probably doesn't mind you feeling him up

P.P.S. Please give that beautiful boy a hug for me, too--and go ahead and feel him up in the process.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many vibes it's nothing
Wickett

Sev had something like that on his leg, unfortunately it was the same time Bella had cancer, and I totally freaked out
I took him in and they said they wanted to do surgery immediately that day, it turned out to be nothing, but it was 4 days of complete fear

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dog Lucy had a cyst at the base of her tail. It was biopsied and it wasn't cancer or anything. When they biopsied it, it drained and as flat but filled back up. I had it removed at the same time as her dental and it saved the money of her having to go under anesthesia two separate times. You may want to consider that.

It is probably a benign cyst. Good luck