I finally let them go...

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH wow - look at that !!!! You know, for them it is totally natural to catch, kill and eat their prey - and all in one sitting like that :eek: I am sure this is not the first time she or the others have caught a huge mice/rat. That was big too. I even doubt that she threw it up. I am sure she is napping off her HUGE meal somewhere. I do think they naturally love to hunt and have a fresh meal, if they can. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand them being a natural hunter. 

Torako is a natural hunter.

I sometimes see Torako catching a bird and gobble it up.  Then shortly after, she throws it up.

I guess feather and skull is hard to digest??

Back when kitties were still with Konne (mother cat) outside, I saw Konne demonstrating how to eat fresh kill.

She ate everything except skin and tail.  All skeletons were left including skull.

Everything was licked clean.

Thus, I thought that was proper way to eat it....

I would imagine fur and skull would be hard to digest....  It has to come out from somewhere, right? 

Leo doesn't seem to have much desire to play with or eat fresh kill. 

Torako brought live mouse today.

I gave it to Leo to play but he run away from it.  Wimpy kitty! 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do think even though they are well fed and cared for as outdoor kitties, they still have that desire to hunt, kill and eat mice for sure. YUK I say, but to a cat - a mouse must be absolutely delicious :eek: I do thing that the skin/fur might be a problem to digest and is :barf: up. Such barbarians, these kitties :rofl: :eek:

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
9/24/2012

Summer is finally winding down here.

During summer, Torao stayed out side and he never came inside. 

I was able to catch him only on few occasions to apply Revolution.

Now, he has been limping for 3 days now.  I tried to catch him but was not successful.

He let me pet him but very timid.

Since night time is much cooler now, I was hoping he would come in.

I asked Leo to bring Torao inside.  He went out and looked for him, but Torao never came.

Leo is incredible cat.  He knows his duty of being conduit between me and other kitties. 

He understands what I want. 

Torao must know I am worried about him, too.

But he must feel less secure with his condition. 

I just hope he comes inside by himself so that I could take a look at his paw.

He lifts his front leg when he is sitting down.

He limps on the same leg.  It looks like putting weight on the paw hurts.

Neither his paw or leg seem swollen.  That is why I am not overly concerned about it.

I will try to catch him again…  Wish me luck.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Come on, Torao..... Please come back and let momma see your paw. I do hope Leo can convince Torao to come inside :cross: Mega vibes for Torao :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
10/3/2012

Thanks for your vibe. 

Torao has not come in yet, but his front leg is all better now.  He is no limping and he is using his leg normally.

I have been showing him motion of petting him and brushing him and hugging him (which I always do before I pick him up and snuggle with him).  Thus he KNOWS I am wanting to do all that to him.  Because of that, he is not completely at ease with me.  He loves all of them but something is holding him back. 

I kind of think part of him wants to come in and enjoy warmth at night, but, at the same time, part of him is little scared of other humans in the house.  After all, he hasn't been in there for entire summer.

Both Leo and Torako come in most of the night now evening temperature is being mid 40s.  Leo sometimes decides to go out at night and keep Torao company.  I believe Torao will come in when it's cold outside. 

I need take kitties to annual check up this month.  I hope he would either come in or I could catch him. 

If worse come to worse, I just take Leo and Torako first and wait for Torao...

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hun, I do think that Torao ALREADY knows that he has the choice to come indoors, and for whatever reason he chooses not to. :dk: I do think that he will when the weather becomes too much to bear and too cold. I am very relieved to hear that his leg is better as you must be even more!! :lol3: I am keeping the vibes coming for Torao to join the others indoor at least at night. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: He will, as he has in the past, correct?? He knows how to keep himself safe and sound. :nod: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know Torao will come in eventually. 

He likes warmth inside.  He enjoys me petting him inside, too.

I sometimes wish Torao was more content and friendly. 

But I should be thankful since he seems to be improving every year.  (very very slowly, though.)

The other day, I was watching the show called "my cat from hell" on Animal Planet. 

I felt very thankful of our kitties after watching the show.   Yes, Torao is scaredy and not friendly, but he never attacks people.   Most  he  does is hissing.  He is very sweet inside.  Same goes for other two kitties.  They never attack people.

When my friend was visiting with her 4 year old, I grabbed Leo and let him smell their hands.  Leo was scared of strangers, but didn't scratch or bite.  My friend was amazed since they have been scratched and bitten by every kitties they tried to pet or approach so far.

I also have a friend in Japan who took 6 ferals in to her apartment.  She lives in 2 bedroom apartment and 1 bedroom is completely taken over by her cats.  Some of them are very friendly, but 2 of them are completely ferals indoor.  She can't even catch them to take them to the vet.

I could have tried to catch Torao, but I will wait for him to come in on his own. 

Weather  here  is incredibly nice so far.

We haven’t had drop of rain for 80 days which is very unusual for Seattle area.

Once our usual Seattle weather pattern resumes, he would come inside.  I hope it resumes soon, though. 

Our plants are drying up and we are having uncontrolled wild fire.

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
10/21/2012

Torao finally came inside last night!

I have been noticing him sitting outside of sliding door and peeking  inside often.   

I think he was wanting to come inside for few days.  It has been pretty cold past few days.  Day time high was only 50 degrees today.

As of 9:30pm, it's down to 39.  I hope he comes inside again.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap: Good boy, Torao :rub: He knows what he wants :nod: and when he wants it, he gets it. :D :D

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for those wildfires to end. :cross:

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
11/15/2012

I finally took Torao in for annual vet's visit.  He weigh whipping 17.5 Lb.  Is he too fat?

1 month ago, Torako was 9 pound.  Leo was 13.  Vet's Tech told me kitties should keep weight between 9 - 13 pounds.

Is that true?  Torao has been a big cat. 

Even when he was a kitten, he was big.  His bone seems bigger and he is bigger over all.  Torako is smaller side.  To me, Torao doesn't look chubby because he looks somewhat muscular.  But Leo looks chubby.  He has small bones. 

Vet didn't say anything about Torao's weight.  So, I am not worrying too much for now.

They all gain more weight in the winter.  They slim down and eat less in the summer.

I will try not to feed too much. 

Every time I see him peeking inside through sliding door, I end up re-filling kibbles for him.  I should quit.

I think he sometimes peek to get attention or trying to get Leo outside.

He was especially doing that a lot yesterday.  I noticed he was just sitting there even when his dish was full.

Then, he came inside at night and wanted to be petted so bad.

ntorres1031

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my name is Norma.  I rescued a feral cat about six months ago.  I had the vet come to my house and give him a physical.  He is in great shape.  He still hisses at me at times, but he's getting along with my other three house cats.  He roams my apartment - he still stays away from me - but not as much.  He loves sleeping on my bed.  He gives me no indication that he wants out.  He has a warm home, food, and love.  I hope one day he will allow me to pet him - I am very patient.  I named him Snowi - he's 2 years old.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kazy, great story, inspiring.

I am learning with Ritz that not every meow means Feed Me.  Sometimes it means "cuddle" or "play" or perhaps in your case, Torao wants in or wants you to come out and play :)

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most vets don't say anything because most owners get mad when they are told their cats are fat.
If the vet tech said between 9 & 13lbs, then that's where you need to keep them.
Torao needs to go on a DIET! :tongue2:

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
11/25/2012

Leo ended up clawing my eye lid.

All three kitties were inside the other night.  I was having grooming time before going to bed. 

Then Leo started to pick on Torako.  He was chasing and biting.  So I tried to stop him and chased him in to the box on the cat tree. 

I guess Leo was threatened, and swapped my glasses off my face.  I got little claw mark on my eye lid and right below my eye. 

I gave a very sharp "I am mad" look to Leo.   Then left the room for the night. 

He never clawed me like that before.  He has never done that to anybody.  He must have felt my angry frustration toward his biting of Torako.

Next day, he was acting little awkward. I was trying to be as nice as usual, though. 

That night rain finally stopped and all three kitties decided to enjoy dry outside over night.

I think Leo was feeling bad about hurting me.  He knows that.  He knows I don't like him biting Torako either.

By the afternoon of the following day, Leo was back to normal.  He was rubbing me and coming up to me.

I still love him.  I hope Loe stopps biting Torako like that.  He sometimes does the same to Torao, but more so toward Torako.

Neither Torako or Torao never does that to each other or anybody.

May be Leo was separated from mother when he was too young?

I know Torao sometimes sit and look inside for some other reasons than wanting for more food. 

He sits there especially for wanting Leo to come outside. 

Last night, he sat by the door and looked like he wanted to come inside.  I opened the door, but he just sat there.

"You want Leo, right?"

"Leo!  Torao is waiting for you!  Come over here!"

Leo was laying on the carpet and didn't come.  He sometimes does this.

I saw him ignoring Torao right in front of him when Torao was wanting him to come to the cat room.

So I went to get him.

"Leo, Torao wants you.  Here"

I brought him to the door.  Torao was very happy.  They both went out in to the yard.

I have conversation like this all the time.  It may sounds strange, but kitties understand. 

I decided to leave plenty of food for entire day.  I started to notice Torao eating less and still peeks inside when there are a lot of food left.  I hope this strategy works better.

My friend's cat is pretty big  (he has some Bengal blood).  He is about the size of Torao.  He also weighs 16 pounds.  I guess Torao is OK. 

Torao has been coming inside almost every night now.  He finally gave in to the cold.

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
3/27/2013

Kitties are doing great.  I haven't been posting here since nothing is new. 

During the winter, all three came inside and spent nights at the cat room.  

Often times, Torako chose to stay inside 90% of the time and only went out to go potty.  (there are littler boxes, but they   prefer to do it outside.)

Torao just melts at night when he is inside the room.   However, he is still scardy boy and won't let me pet him outside of the room.  In the morning, he even hisses at me when I open up his hiding spot and peek at him.  If I grub him, he starts to purr.  I was hoping he would get better, but that may never happen.  Both Torako and Leo will come to me anywhere and I can pet them.  Torao's comfort zone is only inside of the cat room at night.  This may never change.  I sometimes know he is longing to be petted but too uncomfortable to come to me.

Talking about spring being here, I heard Torao hissing really laud in the yard.  I went out and saw something, (I think it's another cat) running away from Torao.  Torao is scardy toward people, but very brave to defend his territory.   He would not accept any intruder in to his yard.

Thanks for thinking about my kitties.

Last edited:

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1/20/2014

Thank you for asking. 

All kitties are doing well and we are one happy family.

They all come inside at night in the winter time and seem to enjoy their life style.  Torao is still little timid, but I think that's his personality.

I wonder if he would have been different if he was separated from his mama when he was 6 months old and kept inside.

Torako was friendly even when she was with her mama.   Torami (the one who chose not to stay with us) were very shy and defensive.

And Torao was in between.  He longs for love and affection, but can't accept it outside.   He totally melts on me when he is in his room.

He has a little bump above his shoulder.  It's little bigger than a coffee bean size.  It almost feels like bunched up meat or fat.

I touch it and squeeze it gently, but he doesn't seem to mind.  I am planning to leave it until next annual check up in November.  I don't think it is harmful unless it grows bigger or he starts to suffer from it.

All in all, they are healthy.  We had no incident at all.  Their teeth are good and their healthy.

They will be 8 years old this year.  I am very thankful that they are all doing good with out any health issues.

Last edited: