I finally let them go...

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Still have summer in my neck of the woods
. It has been about eighty degrees this last week. Today a bit cooler and then into the sixties over the next few days.

I am sure Torao will soon figure out the nice heated pad you put in the shelter. I am setting up my feral shelter in the next couple of days. I have straw to put in the second level that is fully insulated. When temps really start to plunge, I will add the heating pad too.

What great progress that you can now pet Torao
. I would love to see pictures of your cat house sometime if you can post them. Torako must love being the queen of her castle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
10/14/2011

Torao started to come inisde now. He also discovered heater in the cathouse. Leo and Torao are staying in there most of the day.

Now Torako may be driven out of there. When 2 kitties are on the lower level, it is difficult to go through. Torako likes staying in the attick area up above.

Here is the picture of our cat house. Plant next to it is a catnip!

Here is the picture of it in the snow.

Here is the one with racoon!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh the pictures were so cool UNTIL the raccoon one
. Those dirty little scoundrels and houligans. ARGH they make me so mad. Your cat house is INCREDIBLE
I absolutely love it. Did you make that? Sorry if you mentioned in one of your earlier posts, I might of missed that. It is really cute
. I just set up my FeralVilla today. Second level added straw. I hope Dixie and Willow use it
. I set is right along side of my deck so one of the exit's opens to a path they use to go under my deck. I really hope those raccoons don't trash it. They just broke (the raccoons a 2nd bird bath
they pull themselves up onto it and pull the heavy bowl down and it lands my garden boulders and breaks.)

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would love to know how you keep that catnip bush so big. I have some in a hanging pot, but it doesn't last through frost or cold. If my cats had free access to it (as they did once when it fell without my knowing it) I'd NEVER be able to grow it.

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
10/28/2011

Weather has been cool here. Daily high is like upper 40s.
Torako is becoming house cat lately. She doesn't want to go out in the bad weather. She only goes out when she is board or needs to go potty.
Torao comes inside often. But not every night. It seems like he goes for late night patrol and I go to bed before he comes back.
Leo is half and half. Some days, he goes out almost all day, but some days he stays inside. Sometimes Torao tries to solicit him to go for patrol with him. I don't think Leo wants to go too far in the cold night.

At least our cat house is warm. It is built by my husband. Exterior paint color is exactly like our house. It has full of insolation and heated pad on the bottom floor.

To answer BlueOrchard's question, I think cat house is keeping catnip from dying. Also, there are different kinds of catnips. I have another kind in my yard and that one is more hardy. They are planted on the ground and keep coming back every year. But our kitties prefer the one next to cat house. They eat it like a snack. I also dry them and use it inside of kitty toys. Catnip may be biannual. That means, it lives for 2 years and die. I had to buy new plant this year since last one died after 2 years.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kazy

Here is the one with racoon!

I really think this picture is priceless
. The kitty is looking on at this raccoon squeezing out of the kitty house

I actually saw an opossum near the villa this morning
I hope it doesn't move in

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's cold enough out side that Torao finally decided to come inside every night.

Leo and Torako prefer indoor warmth.  They spend 3/4 of time inside. 

Torao still goes out in the morning and never comes inside during daylight.

I was sewing jacket for my sister-in law's dog.  When it was done, we had to put this on Leo.

Here is the video.

Both Torao and Leo are very plump for the winter.  I know they lose most of it in the summer… or will they? 

stripeclan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't see your update for a while.

Is everything OK?

How are your cats doing?

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
3/20/2012

Our kitties are doing fine.

I felt like my post no longer fits the "Feral" category anymore…

Stripes were feral.  Leo came from shelter.

Torao still has fear toward human.  But they turned in to house / yard cat nicely.

To think back, it started with 4 cats in my yard.  Konne; mama and 4 kittens; Torao, Torako and Torami.

I was hoping to have colony for them in my yard and all of them stay.  But it didn't happen.

First of all, Konne chose to leave and never came back.  Torami eventually left also.  She was least friendly one to begin with.  She always tried to escape at the vet's office.

Torako was friendly one from the beginning.   She didn't fear human that much.

Torao was very sweet and never tried to fight back humans, but becomes chicken with humans.  He loves to be petted, but scared at the same time. 

Now, there are only 3 in my little colony.  Torao is a worrier and he does not accept any intruder cat trespassing his yard.  Torami was feeding off our bowl, but she didn't stay in my yard all the time.  Thus she became intruder to Torao one day and he drove her away.

I think they would accept new cat only if it came out from my house.  I introduced Leo that way and he fit in very nicely. 

Torao improved a lot but still feels uneasy inside the house.  If my daughter peeks at him in to his hiding spot, he hisses at her.   He has strange routine.  He wants to come inside, but if I open the door, he doesn’t.  I notice his dish is empty, so I give him little more kibbles.  He eats a little and finally really ready to come inside.  He has plenty of food in his room but why does he have to eat outside right before coming in?  This is a mystery.

Leo is definitely an alpha.  Well, weak alpha.  He is alpha only inside…   He doesn't have guts to fight the intruder.   He is becoming more and more sweet these days.  He wants my attention and love.

Long ago, my daughter taught Torako how to turn the door knob.  They can't open the door, but she starts spinning the door knob whenever she want to be let out.  She occasionally does this in the middle of night.    Few times when I went to open the door in the middle of night, Leo shot out the room instead of Torako.  Torako was just sitting by the door.  I think Leo was making her do it to wake me up.

Torako is smallest and only female kitty in the house.  Thus her rank in this mini colony is at the bottom.  She always waits for boys to finish eating before she eats.   I saw her being punched by Torao few times.  Leo toys her often.  He is a biter.  He sometimes bites Torako hard enough to take her fur off.  She is very easy going and very mellow.  She is a hunter.  She often brings pray from somewhere.  She use to catch birds off our bird feeder.  I had to fence it off so she can't jump in there anymore. 

Not all ferals turn in to kitties like mine, but they all do understand love we try to give them.  When we connect, it's very rewarding. 

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
3/20/2012

Our kitties are doing fine.

I felt like my post no longer fits the "Feral" category anymore…

Stripes were feral.  Leo came from shelter.

Torao still has fear toward human.  But they turned in to house / yard cat nicely.

To think back, it started with 4 cats in my yard.  Konne; mama and 4 kittens; Torao, Torako and Torami.

I was hoping to have colony for them in my yard and all of them stay.  But it didn't happen.

First of all, Konne chose to leave and never came back.  Torami eventually left also.  She was least friendly one to begin with.  She always tried to escape at the vet's office.

Torako was friendly one from the beginning.   She didn't fear human that much.

Torao was very sweet and never tried to fight back humans, but becomes chicken with humans.  He loves to be petted, but scared at the same time. 

Now, there are only 3 in my little colony.  Torao is a worrier and he does not accept any intruder cat trespassing his yard.  Torami was feeding off our bowl, but she didn't stay in my yard all the time.  Thus she became intruder to Torao one day and he drove her away.

I think they would accept new cat only if it came out from my house.  I introduced Leo that way and he fit in very nicely. 

Not all ferals turn in to kitties like mine, but they all do understand love we try to give them.  When we connect, it's very rewarding. 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think your story does belong in the Feral Cat category because that is how your cats did start out and then you and your group just evolved into the wonderful family you have now,.

I agree with so many that keep their eye on this thread for updates. I love the story you tell and the pictures you post. Your kitties are very fortunate to have you for their forever mom and it seems that they know it. 

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

I will try to keep up with this post.

I hope people who reads my posts could get courage for socializing feral kitties.

I strongly believe they all understands our love and intentions.

Also, if your spouse is not a cat person or not even an animal person, don't get discouraged.

My husband is not an animal person and he still doesn't try to pet any of our kitties, but he accepted them.

I will update again. 

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
May 10, 2012

Spring is finally here in Seattle area and kitties are enjoying it, too.
When it's warmer, they tend to stay out all night, or stay out later.
I only wait for them until 11:30pm or so.

It looks like Leo needs good rest inside the house after 2 nights of staying out.
Torako prefers resting inside also.
Torao is different story. 

He only comes in when outside is cold. 
He is still scardy all the time and would not let me touch him outside.
Only time I can pet him and love him is when he comes inside the house to the cat room.
He is uneasy outside of cat room.  He wouldn't let me touch him unless we are both in the cat room.
I wonder it would stay like this forever…
He did improve quite bit compared to few years back.
I am dreaming about the day he comes near me while I am gardening and I can give him gentle petting…
My dream may never come true. 
He still loves to be petted, though.  He melts when I pet him.

My kitties are 5 years old now. 
I hear kitties become more mellow as they age. 
I hope Torao becomes less scardy as he ages...

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Love to read your updates :hugs: AND for Torao.... inside he feels so safe and secure, that is why he allows pets inside. Outside, he must be too distracted and uneasy about coming close. Who knows IF that will ever change. We can hope :cross: Sending vibes that your dream will come true someday :9: and he will come to you as you are gardening!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never stop dreaming and hoping :lovegrin: :vibes::vibes::vibes: Glad all is well with your kitties who are now FIVE!!!!!!!!!!! WOW - times flies..... ;)

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
5/28/2012

We were gone for 2 nights for camping trip. 

When we came home, we saw Leo walking back to our house with a rat dangling down from his mouth. 

My daughter called him and followed him to the back yard.

It was pretty good size.  I was surprised Leo actually caught this.

He showed off his prize to us. 

Then Torako came to investigate.  Then she was toying the dead rat.

Then she starts to eat it!!  I took it away and left it on the shovel. 

When I was ready to bury it, Torako has just finished eaten it. 

She gobbled entire thing including tail and fur!! 

It's been 6 hours now. 

She is acting fine.  She must have puked all up already.

Why does she eat it like that!  She is not doing it to satisfy her appetite.   

Or did she have appetite for fresh kill?