I feel safe. Wouldn't you?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday we had our annual safety inspection at work. Our entire floor was told that we were no longer allowed to have coffee pots plugged in near our desks, but they could be used in the support station. (Think of a support station as a hub for the floor. It's where we get our pens, post-its, and use the fax machine.)

So, instead of having two or three coffee pots in the support station we now have 18, and because we only have two plugs they are being run off of power strips.

Wow. There's nothing like having liquid near an active power supply to wake me up in the morning.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Not sure that sounds safer. Do you sit near the exit?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Not sure that sounds safer. Do you sit near the exit?
I do!
I also sit very close to "fire central". That's what I'm calling it now.

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd start keeping an extinguisher under my desk if I were you.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Why does everyone have their own coffee pot?
In cube-land people get weird about things. Coffee pots are one of them. I've seriously seen HR standoffs over it. Don't get me started over coffee clubs.

I realize how stupid this all sounds, but it's sort of fun to watch from an outsider stand point.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WHY are there now 18 pots??? That's insane! Can't you guys agree on a few large pots of coffee to share???? Our work has a break room with ONE coffee pot that everyone uses. And it also has hot water for tea, oatmeal, etc.

I'd be surprised if the inspectors come in and see 18 pots of coffee in one spot and say its ok with 2 power strips!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in the corporate world I never drank the coffee at work. We had a service come in with those teeny packets and the 1st person there would make the coffee and only used one packet-ewww.....icky!! I worked next to Mcdonalds and bought a cup instead of drinking that swill!! But later I bought in my french press and would make a cup now and then for myself and another co-worker who appreciated a good tasting cup of coffee!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha i'd keep a fire extinguisher at my desk
Can we get a picture of the 18 coffee pots
That is madness!!!!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Haha i'd keep a fire extinguisher at my desk
Can we get a picture of the 18 coffee pots
That is madness!!!!
I can't bring a camera into work. Something about having access to social security and drivers license numbers, credit and motor vehicle reports that gets my bosses feathers ruffled. He's a bit worried that may get posted on the internet.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh too bad! That sounds just tooo funny!

We have a big coffe maker at work, the kind made for a big office, but I've never seen it used. I assume it was used when there was a big bustling practice in the building. Now it's a ghost land and a whole pot of coffee would be a big waste I guess. I get my coffee fix at the Wawa up the road.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At my job we drink whatever the person before us made or pay for it in the cafeteria. The gamut that coffee runs...
Weak, Strong, Melt the Pot Strong, Colored Water... Only one rule for the public coffee pot... No DECAF!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Yesterday we had our annual safety inspection at work. Our entire floor was told that we were no longer allowed to have coffee pots plugged in near our desks, but they could be used in the support station. (Think of a support station as a hub for the floor. It's where we get our pens, post-its, and use the fax machine.)

So, instead of having two or three coffee pots in the support station we now have 18, and because we only have two plugs they are being run off of power strips.

Wow. There's nothing like having liquid near an active power supply to wake me up in the morning.
Wow! I hope they are planning on putting in more outlets!

Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Why does everyone have their own coffee pot?
When I worked in an office I had my own small coffee maker at my desk. I think it made 2 mugs of coffee. I liked flavoured coffee and since no one else did I bought my own coffee maker. However, once I got my small coffee maker, it was always in use because I always had people coming by my desk saying that the coffee smelled so good and asked if they could have a cup.

When I left there I was gifted with a large basket of all kinds of flavoured coffees and a new coffee maker for all the wear and tear that mine ended up getting.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah... people get weird about coffee. I understand... I am a bit of a snob, too. Rather drink Diet Coke than bad coffee.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good lord, 18 coffee pots?? I'm getting a caffine high just thinking about it!
So, does everyone have their names on them or everyone just knows which one is theirs? And, what happens if a new worker or temp worker comes in and doesn't realize this isn't an actual "coffee buffet"?

That really doesn't sound safe to me. I second the idea of making sure you have a fire extinquisher in your cube. Good thing you sit near the fire exit. Do you ever have surprise safety inspections? If so, this will probably be frowned on (to say the least) but I'm sure it will give the inspector a good laugh!