I Feel Like I Waited Too Long Before Putting My Cat To Sleep

fearlessbenjamn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night, we had to put our kitty Paul to sleep. Paul was a senior cat that found us about a year ago. There was a major flood in my town in August 2016 and I believe that Paul somehow got separated from his family. Poor fella had been declawed and we have no idea how he was able to survive. He suffered from a thyroid condition and had to take meds twice a day and he ate more than all 3 of my other cats combined. For the last week he had really been declining quickly. I feel so guilty. How long has he been declining and I did not realize it? I decided last night to call Lap of Love. They do at home euthanizations. That was such a blessing. My husband and I just feel such an emptiness. I hope and pray that my little Paulie felt safe and loved over this past year. He will be missed.

FrogQueen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*Hugs*
It is natural to feel guilt after the death of a pet. It sounds like you really cared for Paul. He was very lucky to find such a wonderful second family, and he knew that you cared about him. Try not to be too hard on yourself.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with FrogQueen FrogQueen --we often second-guess ourselves after the death of a beloved pet. I trust that Paul felt well-loved and cared for. He was so lucky to get a second chance at a safe home and lots of love when you took him in. RIP, little Paul. :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Paul, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

It is so human to second-guess about things like that, but...cats are masters at hiding illnesses from us. They all do it. And many, if not most, of us here have asked ourselves why we didn't see something wrong in our cats sooner. The answer is, our cats would not allow that, it isn't in their nature. It is one of the hardest things that we deal with. Paul knew love and care during his time with you, and he left you gently, in your arms. You did well.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Paul, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

It is so human to second-guess about things like that, but...cats are masters at hiding illnesses from us. They all do it. And many, if not most, of us here have asked ourselves why we didn't see something wrong in our cats sooner. The answer is, our cats would not allow that, it isn't in their nature. It is one of the hardest things that we deal with. Paul knew love and care during his time with you, and he left you gently, in your arms. You did well.
Exactly this....you only had him for a short time but you did a great thing by taking him in, I'm just sorry that you didn't have him longer but he knew that you loved him and I'm sure he loved you.

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless you and Paul....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope and pray that my little Paulie felt safe and loved over this past year. He will be missed.
Of course he felt safe and loved!
You gave him a second home after he lost his, a place where they probably loved him but they also declawed him, a torture that no cat in the world should endure.
You took care of him and for this he will be forever thankful!
RIP Paul :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will be blessed for showing him what love truly is. You took him in when he had no one, when he was lost and scared and alone. You gave him the care he needed and a family to love, he could not ask for more. He gained a year of life and a eternity of memories and happiness, he is at peace and sending his love and comfort along the bond that will be with you forever. He would never want you to be sad when thinking of him, celebrate having him in your life and what he brought to it.
Thank you for the beautiful tribute to such a sweet cat, we share your sorrow, and I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.......RIP precious Paul, you will never be forgotten and will always hold a special place in a loving heart,. Sleep tight, little one!