I feel just terrible.......

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last Tuesday I backed out of the garage and left for an appt. I returned about 45 minutes later to find a dead cat in the driveway. I knew my husband had not gone anywhere so he did not hit it. I was ready to accuse my son ( he does not like cats) who was working in the shop but he had not left at all while I was gone. So I figured the cat had crawled up under my hood. Well curiosity got the best of me. We have security cameras up so I checked the video. Just on the edge of the video I could see me backing out and then driving forward. I can see the cat by the rear tire. What upsets me so much is that after I drive away I can see the cat on the ground thrashing around for several seconds before laying still. I know when I found the cat, there was blood all over. I wish I would have never looked at the video. This cat is actually a feral kitten about 5 months old. I was never able to get close to him/her. It was always around at feeding time. If it had died right away, I wouldn't feel so bad. It's just seeing it thrashing around that bothers me so much. Anyway just putting it down in writing is helping me to feel better. Now I just need to put this behind me. These things happen. Thanks for "listening".

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so, so sorry. But, if you did not see anything while you were driving away, and only saw it on the video later, there is not much you could have done. Had to you actually seen it when you were leaving, perhaps you could have done something to help. It is unfortunately a possibility that the kitten was ill to begin with, as I am guessing it would have moved the minute you made any kind of noise with opening the car door and/or starting the engine. The kitty is at rest now, despite it's unfortunate demise, you need to be at rest, emotionally, with it now too.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It was out of your control. The ferals who have beds in my garage bolt the minute they see me, much less wait for me to start the car. I have to agree that something may have been wrong with the kitten.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very good points. The kitten may have been hit before getting under the tire. If fact, you may have inadvertently put it out of a much worse fate. I’m so sorry. My heart broke for you when I read this. I really do believe that it was in distress before what you saw. :grouphug2: It won’t have a difficult life as a feral now and possibly live with injuries that would have left it in great pain. You may very well have saved it from great suffering.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
This happened to me too...

I was driving at night on a rural highway and saw a cat dart across. I hit the brakes as hard and as safely as I could but I didn’t have much time at all to react.

Still, I didn’t feel a single thing - I was pretty confident I had not hit him. So much so, I almost didn’t even bother to check. Sometimes I wish I had just kept on driving.

There are no street lights on this highway, so I couldn’t see just by looking back. So I pulled over to head in the opposite direction and searched for him, expecting it to just be a “peace of mind” sort of thing.

Soon enough, the headlights of another vehicle illuminated his thrashing body.

I immediately felt sick to my stomach and like the earth had fallen out from under me. I kept telling myself I needed to turn around once again to finish the job and put him out of his misery were he still actually alive.

But I was just frozen and hysterical. I had a friend who lived just down the road, so I collected myself for just long enough to call him and plead for help. He showed up within a couple minutes and checked the cat for me. By that point, he had stopped moving.

That happened years ago now, and it’s still a massive punch in the gut when I think about it.

I know how you feel, and I’m so sorry :(

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. This is not your fault. This kitty is meant to be an angel from the beginning.

I remember years ago when along the expressway a cat suddenly crossed and the car in front of us hit the cat. It was also too late for my husband to hit the breaks so after being hit by the first car the poor angel also hit ours. There was no place to stop. I remember myself screaming hysterically and shouting at my husband and crying all at the same time. It was a terrible, terrible feeling.

I did not speak to my husband for days because of this, although I knew it was not his fault.
Still makes me cry until now whenever I remember of it.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
G gleason ....I'm late to the thread and not sure if you still look at it. And I don't want to open old wounds, but wanted to peek in and say my sincerest sympathies for you. Know that you have many, MANY people here who understand how hard that is emotionally, and quite a few have had it happen themselves. I hit a deer once at 2 am as I was driving by myself on a very lone stretch of highway. I'd found out my mom had had a serious car accident and was in a coma (my sister was supposed to get married 2 days after - needless to say that got pushed back). I'm sure I was speeding - - -but the deer put me over the edge. I went into hysterics - got out of the car and searched for her to no avail (no - I'd given no thought as to what I'd do if I found her).

And not speaking about it isn't as unusual as you'd think. We lost a TNR kitty (Brady) that had shown up on our doorstep with his best buddy Crosby - both of which (post TNR) became full-time residents of our heated shelters. It took until this summer (four years post TNR) before Brady trusted me in the slightest. He then blossomed like crazy! Then just a few months ago, Brady was hit by a car. I'll spare the details here, but suffice it to say, I more than understand how hard seeing it was. We've lost many kitties - fosters, ferals and our own (some of which have overlapped those categories) - - but for some reason, this one was extra hard. I still tear up thinking about it, hubby and i couldn't speak about Brady for days, I told none of my "IRL" friends, and haven't had the strength to put anything into the Cat Site memorial section (which - by the way - - -can be VERY comforting, and is something you might consider posting on as it really can help emotionally).

You did nothing wrong. You cared - - you grieved - - and that's important. I believe that that counts in this world. And if it would make you feel better to write a little about him - - please do so in that forum. It often truly helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kittychick thank you for your kind words. I've come to terms with the loss of this kitty. What's funny is there is another kitty from the same litter that looks just like the one that died. The could be twins. He/she would also keep their distance. But since the loss of the other one, this one has started to come closer. I even got to pet him/her. Just a couple of strokes but it's a beginning. Maybe he/she will turn into a former feral in time.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My shoulder's here any time it's needed.

I think it sounds like you're well on your way to a new kitty love! While no animal "replaces" another - - - what a wonderful way to help ease the pain - - by helping his sibling have an even better life! Keep us posted.