I Feel Guilty

katyfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey everyone. i'm 14, and my 16 year old Romy had to be put down last month. He broke both front legs in a freak accident on the stairs, and there was nothing they could do. i'm sad, i'm angry, and i feel guilty. i miss my boy, i'm mad at my dog for pushing him, and i'm mad at my brother for not noticing them fighting. the vet said there was nothing they could do because he was so old, but i feel like we let him down. all i think is how i miss him, and i really feel like we could've done something, and i feel like he was angry with us because we let him get hurt. i just want my boy back.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that you lost your little friend, but sometimes these freak accidents just happen, like when a tree falls on a car at just the exact moment that a car is passing by and kills the driver, very rare and strange things but unfortunately they do happen. You are mad now but with time you will be able to forgive, and your kitty is fine now, no more pain, and who knows what kind of life he would've had even if they did repair his legs, maybe he would have had terrible arthritis and pain, we don't know, but he is fine now, it is you that is hurting and we understand that, but with time, much time, you will be okay.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry this happened, I hope that you feel a bit better each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so hard to lose a pet and especially the ones who have lived with us for most or all of our lives. A sixteen year old cat is pretty fragile, just like people their bones aren’t as strong as when they were young, so a fall that wouldn’t be an issue for a six year old cat can break the bones of a sixteen year old. It’s not the dogs fault or your brothers, it was just an accident.

Old cats heal slowly too. Two broken legs in a sixteen year old cat would have caused him great suffering and may never have healed. While it is painful for you and your family, you did the kindest thing for your dear old cat.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with other posters--sadly, accidents do happen in life. They're nobody's fault. Please try not to blame yourself or other family members.

It's so hard to lose such a beloved family member, especially one who's been with you all your life. :hugs: You're in my thoughts.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At that age, every day of life is a gift. Every Creature has his or her way to return, when the time comes.

There is not such a thing like "the right way to end". Avoiding the final pain is the only thing a Human can do.

If your dog did not push the cat on stairs that day, the next day an awful kidney failure may occur. And if no kidney failure, the following day a heart attack may mark the first pillar of the Bridge.

In any of such circumstances, you would be mad on someone: neighbors, parents, vet etc. That madness is a natural way mankind escapes excessive pain of loosing the beloved ones.

It is ok to cry, it is ok to be sad.

Remember you are not alone.

My tears and full respect for The Old Cat Romy. Obviously, he did his job very well.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anger, sadness, blame, are all part of the grieving process.You are at the age where adulthood is looming and with it comes the realization of responsibilities and emotions that come with being an adult. One of them is the finality of death. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow, every living thing will die in time. It is how we spend that life that counts. We all have a choice, we live it full of wonder and the joys of simply being alive, or we live it in grief and anger and close our hearts to love so we don't get hurt.
Cats have a wonderful way of just living, they take what the world has to offer and they find joy in every day life, a patch of sun to lie in, the feel of a loved one stroking their head, the enjoyment of a full plate of food and their family paying attention to them. Romy was no different. He lived a long, happy life with his family, he loved you and only wants happiness in your life, because that is what love is.
It hurts when they leave us, especially when they are hurt and suffering, and we need to end that suffering. We find one last act of love in our hearts to end the pain, and let them go. It is more than kindness, it is pure love.
You have a bond with that sweet boy, it can never be taken from you. Death cannot take that which never dies. Try not to dwell on the death, all those should haves and could haves. It changes nothing, because the past can never be changed, and it only brings more heartache and tears. Don't let that dear cat's death be more important than his life. He gave you so many years of happiness, it is infinitely more important than the end. He follows a new path now, and through that bond he will be near, as near as your prayers. Send him love and joy, not grief and tears.
I have found it helps to do good in their name, to honor the name that we loved for so long. It helps you to feel a little better about yourself by helping others, do it in Romy's name. Give a small donation to your local shelter, volunteer your time to socialize kittens, and most importantly, pass on that love he so willingly gave you and take a new love into your heart, pass on the legacy he taught you, the legacy of love. He would be honored and it can take a place besides his own in your heart and add to the love you have in your soul.
My heart goes out to you, I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers...... RIP sweet Romy. You will never be forgotten and will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry.

:hugs:

It is awful when we lose a pet that way. I think at his age trying to recover from two broken legs would have been a long and painful process for him. It was much kinder to let him pass away without too much suffering.

Rest in Peace old boy, you will be missed.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Romy, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

Oh, my dear, you have nothing to feel guilty about. This was an accident. Just as you can't blame your dog for being a dog, or Romy for being a cat. And I'll bet if your brother had known what would have happened, he would have thrown himself rather than see a beloved pet injured so badly (or at all). But anger is a part of grief, and you will begin to work through that with time.

Love never dies, you know. It simply changes form and continues on, still Love. Although Romy's physical body is no longer with you, his Love surely is. Love abides.