I feel bad about isolating FeLV+ kitten!

dolceshmolce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to wait 6-8 weeks before taking our FeLV+ (via SNAP test only) Loki back in for an IFA test & possibly another SNAP to confirm the diagnosis. Holding out a little hope that maybe this guy can kick the virus, but we will see.

Here’s my inner dilemma - I feel TERRIBLE for isolating a little kitten by himself. He’s only 8 weeks old. He should be out romping around, getting endless love when we are home, lounging on the couch with us & learning how to be a cat with my older cat. I’m worried that if he does truly have FeLV that isolation him will cause more stress and not help his immune system.
So far, he seems to be doing okay, but he’s already been in isolation for 3+ weeks at this point since he initially was diagnosed with giardia when we found him + he was a stray and we wanted to keep him away from our resident cat. Once he beats his current coccidia infection, we will move him from our bathroom to our guest bedroom so he will be more comfy & have a window to peak out of.

For those of you who have experience quarantining a kitten - what was your experience? What enrichment activities or toys helped? Did you struggle with guilt, too?

Trying to remind myself that this living situation is WAY better than trying to fend for his own in the coyote-ridden forest during these 90-100 degree days. He most certainly would have died from dehydration/malnutrition from his initial giardia, if not a predator. So trying to remember that :redheartpump:

mittens23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to wait 6-8 weeks before taking our FeLV+ (via SNAP test only) Loki back in for an IFA test & possibly another SNAP to confirm the diagnosis. Holding out a little hope that maybe this guy can kick the virus, but we will see.

Here’s my inner dilemma - I feel TERRIBLE for isolating a little kitten by himself. He’s only 8 weeks old. He should be out romping around, getting endless love when we are home, lounging on the couch with us & learning how to be a cat with my older cat. I’m worried that if he does truly have FeLV that isolation him will cause more stress and not help his immune system.
So far, he seems to be doing okay, but he’s already been in isolation for 3+ weeks at this point since he initially was diagnosed with giardia when we found him + he was a stray and we wanted to keep him away from our resident cat. Once he beats his current coccidia infection, we will move him from our bathroom to our guest bedroom so he will be more comfy & have a window to peak out of.

For those of you who have experience quarantining a kitten - what was your experience? What enrichment activities or toys helped? Did you struggle with guilt, too?

Trying to remind myself that this living situation is WAY better than trying to fend for his own in the coyote-ridden forest during these 90-100 degree days. He most certainly would have died from dehydration/malnutrition from his initial giardia, if not a predator. So trying to remember that :redheartpump:
I never isolated my Yoda. He to was diagonised and I have multiple cats. Did I take a risk. Yes but with much prayer I decided not to isolate. Two scares where he would not eat. Recovery food given. Two shots of strong antibiotics and prayer. Trusting in Gods faithfulness to heal. And he did Yoda is my biggest eater. Turns all over the place. You would never think he was diagnosed. How we found out was he had chronic fever. As of now no symptoms. According to the dr it was death sentence. I believe he defied the odds. I will say a pray for lokie and the rest of your animals. Whatever decision you make may it be with peace

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dolceshmolce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
M mittens23 Thankful for your reply! I’m happy to hear that your kitty is doing so well and denying the odds. My vet as well doesn’t seem to give much hope, which was super heartbreaking at first. But I’m so glad I found this site because seeing the stories of FeLV+ kitties living such happy lives despite their diagnosis is just what I needed to hear!
My husband and I have been praying constantly over Loki & Oliver as well. Praying for a miracle that I know God can work, if it is in his will. I won’t test Him in it, but prayer & having even an ounce of faith is powerful and is what is carrying us through this.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for helping Loki! I once had an all black Loki, rescued from a school ground where he was abandoned as a little kitten. I think that you are asking about the quarantine period and its effect on him. First of all, keep rereading your last paragraph until you have convinced yourself that it is true. Loki had virtually no chance against coyotes and heat. You saved his life and I have always felt that animals who were helped understood that things were incredibly better in their new surroundings with food, water, and safety. Fiona herself was rescued to an upstairs bathroom after having been dumped in a very large park, and I still remember what I am sure was a look of complete gratitude when she saw the food and bed.

An 8 week old kitten does not need the whole house to run around in and really should not have that much room at first anyway. Another time I kept 3 kittens in a large bathroom for 5 months. Their other option was dead on the street, so I never felt any guilt and they never suffered any consequences from it. They were rescued at about 8 weeks old and it was not a good time for them to be introduced into the house at large.

17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Feline Toy Story: 33 Cats That Show You What They Do With Toys – TheCatSite Articles
8 Superb Automated Cat Toys That You’re Going To Love! – TheCatSite Articles

Some of those links may give you some ideas for toys. Watch for any toy that might have pieces that can be ingested and supervise the playtime so that Loki has interactions with you as well. For my cats, the Cat Dancer type toy has always been successful, especially Da Bird. Circle scratchers, Catty Whack, and the Catit track are also popular. Laser toys are debated sometimes and mine gave up once they figured out that they could never catch the light.

mittens23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
M mittens23 Thankful for your reply! I’m happy to hear that your kitty is doing so well and denying the odds. My vet as well doesn’t seem to give much hope, which was super heartbreaking at first. But I’m so glad I found this site because seeing the stories of FeLV+ kitties living such happy lives despite their diagnosis is just what I needed to hear!
My husband and I have been praying constantly over Loki & Oliver as well. Praying for a miracle that I know God can work, if it is in his will. I won’t test Him in it, but prayer & having even an ounce of faith is powerful and is what is carrying us through this.
When I look at Yoda I thank God for the miracle. Today he is doing well. I try not to look at tomorrow but thank God for today. My husband and I are firm believers in the Lord Jesus Christ. I believe that God cares about our animals just as much as people. We couldn't isolate him Yoda would have none of that. Yes my vet basically told us take him home nothing else we could do. When Yoda would not eat. I brought him back to euthanize him. There was another vet on duty. My husband asked him do you think he needs to be euthanized and the vet said no let's try this and that is when he gave him two strong antibiotic shots. With prayer and faith I believe in miracles. I believe for your Loki and Oliver.