I don’t think I can do this

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am screaming in my head HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? My 16 y/o Himmie has had CKD for about two years and was doing really well. I have been giving him subq’s and keeping his appetite going with Mirataz as needed. He was happy, loving and still playful. We went to the vet (a new one) for bloodwork and he was diagnosed with hpertension. The vet prescribed a low dose of Amlodipine. It immediately made him lethargic, but I continued to administer it thinking it was important to prevent serious problems like blindness. He was still eating and seemed OK otherwise. His kidney values had actually improved. His creatinine was at 2.5 from a high of 3.7. After about 2 1/2 weeks on the Amlodipine, he started refusing food. I mean REFUSING it. No amount of coaxing would make him even take a lick. I syringe fed him, but I know he did not get enough nourishment. I talked to the vet twice and he told me to discontinue the Amlodipine. That was on the Friday before Memorial Day. The evening of Memorial Day, I told my husband I couldn’t stand anymore, so we went to our local university vet school emergency clinic. They did more bloodwork, which had not changed much, gave him IV fluids for two hours, Cerenia and Zofran. He was so much better when we got home, walking around purring. But, still no appetite. But, Cerenia has had that effect on him before. So, we have been hoping and trying everything since then. I have syringe fed him, subq’s every day, Zofran to keep nausea at bay, B12 injections twice a week, probiotics. In the past couple of days he has eaten maybe 1/4 cup of dry food on his own. He won’t even look at wet food, and I am sure to offer him something other than the AD I have been syringing. He has lost almost a pound that he couldn’t afford to lose. My vet thinks we should go back to the vet school and let them do more testing, but I just don’t know if I want to subject him to that at this point. it would be expensive, yes, but that doesn’t matter. I would spend my last penny to get him back on track. I am worried about him having to be there for days and how that stress would affect him. I can’t help feeling cheated. I was so excited that his kidneys were doing as well as they were and never dreamt this could happen. I will forever feel responsible for giving him the drug, even though I thought it was needed. We lost his brother almost exactly five years ago. We thought about getting another kitten but never did. I cannot imagine this house or my life without him. I went through this in 2001, losing a cat I had for over 21 years. It came close to killing me, but I was working full-time then and at least got out of the house every day. Now, I am retired and here most of the time.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you still doing the Mirataz? The full dose? If not, I would definitely do that consistently for several days. And try a different food. Something he has never had before (I'm talking wet food here) Even baby food, meat only, no garlic or onions. My guys prefer ham, but it also comes in chicken, turkey and beef. It's not 100% nutritionally complete, but can jumpstart their appetite. Also, have you tried using toppers for him? Crushed up treats, bonita flakes, tuna juice, FortiFlora.

There are other appetite stimulants available, although you might not want to try another new medication right now. Just letting you know they are available. And, if nothing else, can you at least call the University Vet and let them know his appetite still hasn't come back? Perhaps they will have some ideas since they have already seen him and done some tests.

Hang in there :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you still doing the Mirataz? The full dose? If not, I would definitely do that consistently for several days. And try a different food. Something he has never had before (I'm talking wet food here) Even baby food, meat only, no garlic or onions. My guys prefer ham, but it also comes in chicken, turkey and beef. It's not 100% nutritionally complete, but can jumpstart their appetite. Also, have you tried using toppers for him? Crushed up treats, bonita flakes, tuna juice, FortiFlora.

There are other appetite stimulants available, although you might not want to try another new medication right now. Just letting you know they are available. And, if nothing else, can you at least call the University Vet and let them know his appetite still hasn't come back? Perhaps they will have some ideas since they have already seen him and done some tests.

Hang in there :hugs:
We have done Miritaz today. At least he is eating some treats. THIS CAT is so non-food motivated. He has never had a good appetite even on good days. It has been a struggle to keep him eating for a long time, but he has never gone this long. Baby food does not work. FortiFlora does not work. I have bought every cat food made and there are very few he will eat. He doesn’t like tuna. I tried boiled chicken. I even bought sardines. We have discussed Elura, but I am so skittish about any new drug right now. Thank you for responding. I just feel like bashing my head in!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, and I just offered him a Churu. That was a big no.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have a very picky cat also so I know where you're coming from. BUT, since your little one is eating some treats, can you crush some of them and sprinkle them on some food (wet or dry) as incentive to get him interested in it? My guy doesn't like any cat food with tuna in it, but does like the water off a can of tuna, and does like bonita flakes, as long as I don't use them with every meal. Same with salmon. No to any food with salmon in it, yet he will eat freeze dried salmon sprinkled over his food. And he hates FortiFlora.

Here's hoping the Mirataz today helps :crossfingers:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A previous thread of yours talks about a cat being diagnosed with pancreatitis. Is this the same cat? If so, have they prescribed pain meds? Perhaps when he was treated before, and felt better, they gave him pain meds?

Amlodipine rarely has side effects unless the dose is too high. That is the reason for testing the BP in 2- 3 weeks' time after inital administration. However, no BP reading done just once is an accurate reading. There needs to be at least 3 readings during one vet visit, with a few minutes in between to get a more accurate reading. And, even more ideal is to do that same multiple reading again a week or so later - before administering meds.

See what other tests the vet school thinks are appropriate before making your decision about how to move forward.

Last edited: