I dont know what to do anymore

nutter4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I am new here and I come to you as I have no idea what to do anymore.
I have a 16 year old cat whom I have had since he was born.... In the past 6-7 months he has really gone down hill, he has lost all of his teeth, become skinny and atopped grooming himself, sits on a cat liter tub in the kitchen all day and night. Thats about all he does, well that and poos and pees in my hallway and bathroom despite my every attempt to get him to use the liter box.
I have other cats but he is used to them. I have 3 very large loter boxes which I scoop 2 times a day, tried multiple diffrent liters, set a box right by him to make it easier, I have a very very large dog crate I even set him up in for a while to try and contain his mess and he used the liter box then but would fling the liter around and then pee on it outside of the liter box. I mean I have tried EVERYTHING websites and the vet has suggested over the last months and he STILL chooses to pee and poop other places. Literally walk out of his way to do so.
I am 6 months pregnant with out 3rd little boy, my husband is out of town all of the time for work and I am at my wits end with cleaning up poop and pee ALL day every day.
I am starting to wonder if I should have him put down, not just for all the mess but for him deteriorating as fast as he has seemingly out of no where.
I love him dearly and it is very hard for me to think about this, thats why I come to yall for some advice.

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry your cat isn't feeling well.

What did the vet say? Have you done any tests on your cat? What is his diagnosis/prognosis?

He is clearly ill and it's not the litter or litter box.

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a tough situation. I'm sorry to hear that things are not going well for your kitty. What did you vet think about his condition? If I were in your situation I think I would seek out another vet, definitely sounds like a serious health issue.

thekittykeepers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well handling poop while pregnant is something you need to talk to your doctor about, if you haven't already. That is my first advice. Now, as for your kitty seemingly deteriorating, he is 16, which is a long life and sounds like it has been a good one as well. There comes a time when we have to set our feelings aside and do what is best for our kids. He first needs a thorough check by a good vet, maybe the behavioral problems are something simple, but the lost weight and probably dehydration are my major concerns. This needs to be investigated further before any other decisions can be made about his future.

Finally, we must consider quality of life, is there pain, can he fend for himself at all? No teeth isn't a big deal, there are many canned foods that take little or no chewing by teeth to be digested. But if he becomes unable to eat at all, or drink, then the question of quality of life comes in again.

Making the choice to have your kitty put down, is never an easy one, and I hope that if the time comes, you won't have to make the decision by yourself or go through the process alone, it is emotionally devastating. We had to put our first rescued cat down last year, she had severe kidney disease with acute onset. After more than a month of forced feeding/hydration and medication, her kidneys only became worse. We cried everything we had to force her to eat or take her meds, it was so hard to see her in pain. When her numbers continued to fall to near kidney failure, we knew that it was time. We don't live in the US or any other "first world" country, but the Philippines, so treatment and care for cats is much more difficult. We did all we could given the location.

When we love someone for so long, it is hard to see past that love and do what is right, extremely hard. Please don't think of this reply as advocating for euthanasia, just trying to prepare you for what may be inevitable. Please do all the steps possible to find out why he is struggling so much and if there is any alternatives that will increase his quality of life, before you decide on the other thing. Sincerely, the kittykeepers.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a litter pan with no to one to two inch sides? Arthritis may be a factor here, it hurts him to climb into a litter box. Other than that, I agree with the above, have him checked out by a vet to make sure it's not something that can be easily cured and to set your mind more at ease, and then you can decide what to do based on his recommendations. They have seen a lot, and will tell you the outcome. Thank you for asking for help, it shows what a concerned caregiver you are. I'll pray for you both, please keep in touch we'll do what we can to help you through this. Bless you for your big heart. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
When a cat starts sleeping in the litter box it's a sign that they feel either really unwell or really stressed out. It's their way of saying "Help. I feel like poop.' 

I recommend getting a complete medical exam to find out exactly what is going on. 16 is old, but it isn't that old. 

Is this an indoor only cat? As long as he doesn't go outside the chances of him picking up toxoplasmosis and passing it on to you are pretty slim. You can ask your vet to test him for toxoplasmosis when he has the medical check.

I'm sorry you are going through this now, what awful timing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nutter4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies. I will be taking him to the vet this weekend for thorough tests and see if we can find out whats going on.... From what I have read I feel like it could be hyperthyroidism but we wont know until we find out. The original vet visit was right before his body started to go down hill and he still was at a good weight and grooming himself but the literbox issues were there so all the loter box changes one can do as a cat owner were suggested and I tried them all.
I do see it is a health issue for him now though and plan on taking him. He has had a very good life and we have grown up togther, the thought of him not always being around (despite my constant frustrations with him and his messes right now) really does break my heart.

thekittykeepers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well even those times of frustration can become memories that bring a smile or tear to our eyes. My cat Kimi is still in the hospital, but I think he will b coming home this Friday, and never again will I complain when he jumps up and starts kneading on my belly, even though it hurts. I won't let those moments slip away in frustration anymore.

We got lucky, and his issues seem to be on the correcting side, and he is much better today. I hope that you too get good news about your boy, I am sure he appreciates all that you do for him, even if he has a hard time showing it right now. Good luck, keep us informed, sincerely, the kittykeepers.