I Don't Know What To Do - 15+yo Cat

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lovely photos. Feeby will most probably use it whilst you need it and once Christmas is over, abandon it, just like a Christmas toy.

It's good that she's maintaining her weight. Time goes so fast, her six month check-up will come around soon enough and then hopefully you will have a better idea on how she is doing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for asking about Feeby!

Other than a 3 oz weight loss over the course of just the past week, I thought she's been pretty much 'status quo'. She weighed 12.8 pounds this AM. When I last updated 3 weeks ago, she had been holding relatively steady at 13.1 since she started taking her H-T meds (almost 3 months ago). Her eating has been down a bit this past week, but I wouldn't have thought enough to cause her to lose 3 oz. We'll see if a new weight loss trend is occurring over the next couple of weeks.

Her squawking/screeching certainly hasn't dropped any! Same though in terms of most of the early/mid day and then pretty much being quiet by evening. I just think it is due to us being busier in the day and paying less attention to her. Then, at night we are mostly in the living room watching TV and she doesn't have to try to 'keep track' of where we are at.

A relative got her a toy for X-mas, but she could care less! And, she's abandoned all of her box-beds, so I need to tear them down and round up a new one for her. In the meantime, she has gotten into a paper bag a couple of times and actually took a nap there yesterday.

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully her appetite will increase and she will put on a little weight. Did your vet tell you how long it will take for her body to adjust to the meds?

Aren't those bags great, better than all the expensive beds we buy.

IMG20210110195749.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully her appetite will increase and she will put on a little weight. Did your vet tell you how long it will take for her body to adjust to the meds? Aren't those bags great, better than all the expensive beds we buy.
I am not sure about an adjustment to the meds. The vet and the H-T forum are in alignment regarding testing her T4 level - at 3-4 weeks after starting the med and then every 3 months thereafter - and somewhere down the line every 6 months. I actually haven't read about any adjustment period in terms of anything other than the T4 level. Guess I will do a search and see what I can find out!

Cute pic!! Anything that is NOT intended for Feeby to use is what Feeby uses (pretty much applies to ALL cats), so yes about those bags! A few years back, she had trouble turning around in them, so her butt was always sticking out! With her weight loss/mobility improvement she can now completely hide her body in it!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
As discouraging as it is, I think he is kind of leaning toward the fact that she is 16+ and maybe there should be a limit on how much we do. He didn't exactly say that, but has mentioned the last couple of times that we talked that 'something is going to get her, eventually'.
Our specialty vet said the same exact thing about our last Shepherd who had an autoimmune illness that we had been treating with a cocktail of meds for 13 plus years. I think it's there way of saying to try and make them as comfortable as possible without overstressing their bodies. Hugs and special thoughts to Feeby and you. 🤗

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update:
Last week after having weighed right around 13.1 pounds for about 3 months, Feeby's weight dropped to 12.8. Today, she weighed either 12.6 or 12.7 (weighed her twice). There is no simple explanation for it, since her food intake is pretty much status quo, when looked at in weekly/monthly averages.

If she should be eating more because it is 'winter time' and colder weather takes up more calories for the body to regulate itself temp wise - well, then maybe that is the reason. But, is this concept even an accurate one, or some 'old wives tale' that doesn't even apply to humans, much less cats? I know in my case, winter time makes me less active (I hate cold weather), so if anything I would be more inclined to gain weight because I certainly don't reduce my intake!!!

I also noticed her urine smelling very strong if I happen to be in the room when she uses the litterbox (she never covers anything). This is something fairly 'new', like for the past week or so. I am thinking it might have something to do with how long she has held her pee because later in the day I don't notice the smell as much when she goes.

Can't imagine how these two things are connected, or if there are really 'two things' to be worried about as yet.

She seems to be doing fine, and/or behaving 'normal' (for her anyway), otherwise.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just googled cats appetite and cold weather and it seems even an indoor cat may need more food in winter, something to do with less daylight affecting their metabolism. As far as the strong smelling pee, could it be the meds, even though she has been on them a while, maybe your vet will know?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Interesting to know about the weight-metabolism thing!

I didn't call the vet about her urine, but I did post on the H-T forum about it and asked if it could be related to kidney issues that are unmasked by the H-T meds. Only one response so far, with no suggestion of it being connected.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Thanks for checking on Feeby!

After having weighed 12.6/12.7 a week ago, this past Monday she weighed 12.5/12.6 (again, weighed her twice). So, that means a total of 5-6 oz since the beginning of January. Until this month, her weight had held steady since she was put on the H-T meds (mid October).

Her average caloric intake is down by about 10 calories a day for this month, compared to last month. So, not sure if that is enough of a reduction in food to cause the weight loss - or, if it is related to your google search about cold weather/metabolism impacting the need for more calories. :dunno:

Never had anyone else on the H-T forum respond about the stronger urine odor, so I guess it must not necessarily be a common indicator of the onset of kidney issues. And, I found no connection between the two when investigating symptoms of kidney disease, including Tanya's web site. If anything the opposite seems to be more likely. Still no indication of a UTI as far as I can tell.

Otherwise, Feeby is being Feeby - mostly about the same as before, including her beloved squawking/screeching! She wore out her old paper bag, so I got out a new one, which she is napping in right now! :sleep2:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been having a bit of trouble lately getting Kiwi to eat enough. I started warming up pate food and hand feeding her, she eats it all from my hand. It's a bit messy but who cares as long as they eat. Worth a try with Feeby?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Aren't you afraid that Kiwi will never go completely back to eating it out of a dish? :disturbed:

Feeby's 'breakfast' (3 oz can) goes pretty well, gone in about 2ish hours - with several nearly back-to-back trips to/from the dish. It's the rest of her 'meals' that don't go so well. She generally will eat a few bites, but then walk away and not come back for maybe 3-4 hours only to take a couple of more bites. I have no idea how to administer hand feeding with the way she wants to eat. Of course, I could try to put some in my hand each time she visits her dish to see if she would eat a few more bites then. Tbh, I could try that once or twice, and if all I get out of it is her walking away and I have to scape food out of my hand and back into a dish, there would be NO third attempt! :nono:

So far, all of her food is served room temp - other than a couple of times that I tried to make it warmer, which made no difference whatsoever.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't thought that far with Kiwi, it's just a relief to get her the eat more than 150 cal's a day.
Does Feeby ever ask for food, would she if you removed what she doesn't eat straight away. Who would have thought cats could be so complex.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't thought that far with Kiwi, it's just a relief to get her the eat more than 150 cal's a day. Does Feeby ever ask for food, would she if you removed what she doesn't eat straight away. Who would have thought cats could be so complex.
I get that about making sure Kiwi is getting enough food in her! I am sure Kiwi doesn't have the 'spare' weight Feeby still has - although at the rate we are going that might not always be the case.

Feeby has never asked for food - except in the morning when I get up. Then she is screeching to tell me it is time to eat (or, maybe just time for me to get up?). Short of that, no. If/when her dish is close to empty, she will take a look at it, decide there is not enough food in there to make her happy, and simply walk away - rarely ever eating what is left. So, because of that, I have never entirely taken away her food other than when I go to bed. She has me trained well!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not healthy, obviously, but does Feeby or Kiwi like Temptations treats? They would have some additional calories. I stopped giving them to Ruby a long time ago, but recently bought some Party Mix ones, and the same reaction. In fact, anytime she hears me opening any type of package now, she comes running and meowing.

Have either of you tried Pro-biotics? The vet gave me some once when Ruby was having tummy issues, and said to just sprinkle some on top of her wet food, and Ruby went nuts for it. This is the kind the vet had.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not healthy, obviously, but does Feeby or Kiwi like Temptations treats? They would have some additional calories. I stopped giving them to Ruby a long time ago, but recently bought some Party Mix ones, and the same reaction. In fact, anytime she hears me opening any type of package now, she comes running and meowing....Have either of you tried Pro-biotics? The vet gave me some once when Ruby was having tummy issues, and said to just sprinkle some on top of her wet food, and Ruby went nuts for it. This is the kind the vet had.
For Feeby, she gets Temptations Treats for hairball control - only about 7 a day which is something like 16 or so calories. But, she really won't eat any more than that. She has been on those for a long time now, and still does like them.

What could the probiotics do for Feeby? She has no digestive tract issues that I know of. She rarely throws up, and her stool is almost always of good color and consistency. Or, do you mean just as an enticer to eat?

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What could the probiotics do for Feeby? She has no digestive tract issues that I know of. She rarely throws up, and her stool is almost always of good color and consistency. Or, do you mean just as an enticer to eat?
That particular brand is a great appetite stimulant! Or maybe it just tastes great. I've used it with great success with Millie and with cats I've owned in the past. It's not enough of a probiotic to change their stool/digestion, in my experience, but cats go crazy for it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, in Feeby's case, just as an enticer to eat. Ruby was given it as she'd had some diarrhea, but it also worked to get her to eat every speck of food in her dish. Not sure if it's something she'd have eventually grown tired of, but while I was using it, it got the same response as Temptations treats. Check with Feeby's vet, of course, to ensure there'd be no problem with her health issues, but it might work to get her to enjoy her food more.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby's past week resulted in more weight loss - today she weighed 12.3 pounds. She wasn't as cooperative with being weighed today as she normally is, so it could be off a bit. But, assuming it is correct, she has gone from 13.1 at the beginning of January to 12.3 now. As I said before, prior to January, she had pretty much held steady at 13.1 since October.

Although, I have yet to try the probiotics suggestion, I have gone back through some food topper ideas and so far she is not impressed. It would seem she is not inclined to like her foods 'mixed'?!?! That also goes for when she has almost finished her morning meal and I add something else to it, it would seem she doesn't appreciate the idea of 'combo' food. So, I am not sure what all I can try to add to her food that isn't going to turn her off with the 'mixture'. I've looked at kitten food, but tbh, there isn't much of a calorie difference, and not much higher protein count - at least not with Fancy Feast pates. What makes it worse, is that once there is a small amount left in her dish, she is also less inclined to want to try to eat that small amount. So, if I don't add to it, I am going to have to start throwing it out, I guess.

Is there a tasteless powder that I could add that would increase the calories but not change the flavor of her food?

She is a month away from her check up and more blood work. Going to start researching what the odds are of a high calcium count being related to cancer, as my vet suggested could be an issue based on her last blood work.

Last edited: