I Don't Know What To Do - 15+yo Cat

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here you are;

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
www.bachflower.com
www.bachflower.com

Also, there is ThunderWunders calming chews, Richard's Organic Pet Calm drops, Naturevet Hemp, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others including feliway, comfort zone.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

This post talks about some other products; (sorry for the big bold font I'm on my phone and can't get it to cooperate)
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update 10/5 - 10/11

One by one by one, Feeby is ruling out Fancy Feast pates. She has now decided that the turkey & giblets 'ain't so great' - it used to be one of her favorites - and the chicken took a 'nose dive' on her list this past week too.:cringe: I am throwing in an occasional fish-related one, as I have never really given her many of those in the past - they seem to go over OK.

I did try a couple of Fancy Feast non-pates and it is the same story as previously - she licks the gravy/juice off of them and won't touch the meat. Wellness Core Turkey & Duck also went over like a lead balloon. She ate a bit, and I thought she might like it, but I think she was trying to figure out what the 'weird' taste (duck) was and then decided it was not to her liking.

So, a lot less FF and a lot more Sheba at this point. That is the only reason I got her back up to about 275 calories per day this past week, after struggling to reach 240 last week. And, she weighed in this morning at 13.3 pounds (vs. the strange low of 12.8 last week). I want to continue to stuff her face as much as I can, and keep her weight where it is - I do not want a continual reduction because sooner or later there might not be any spare weight left on her. :fear:

On very short notice, I ran her to the vets last Friday for her follow up thyroid testing. Their office didn't want to make an appointment, they just said to bring her in anytime. So, I spent a few days calling them to ask when there was a lull in appointments so that we wouldn't have to wait a long time to get the blood drawn. That lull happened early Friday afternoon - so, off we went. She was really pretty calm about it and I did not hear any 'screaming' when she in the back having her blood taken, like last time. (Forgot to ask when results would be available, but probably by tomorrow I am guessing.)

The vet tech said she did just fine, but did note that she kept bobbing her head up and down - which I think means her heart was racing and beating so hard it was causing her whole body to move with it. I am pretty sure I have seen it a couple times in the recent past. So, if we are not talking hyperthyroidism, we might be looking at a heart condition. As my vet said - 'something will get her sooner or later, it happens to all of us'. It may sound callous, but he is being realistic and honest, even if blunt. It is what it is. :ohwell:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think your FF is the same as Gourmet in the UK, if so, have you tried Savoury Cake, Feeby might like that as a change.

It's good that she had gained some weight this week and eaten more, let's hope it continues.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For what it’s worth, I found Krista often conducted her own slow food introductions. Any new food she would take only a few bites’ worth the first time. If it treated her okay, she would eat more next time. If she didn’t like a food, she wouldn’t eat more than a bite. So if Feeby ate a few bites of Wellness, I’d consider that a “wait and see” on her part, and offer it again another day.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think your FF is the same as Gourmet in the UK, if so, have you tried Savoury Cake, Feeby might like that as a change.
I take that to mean I would have to go to the UK web site and order it from there. When I just now looked it up - independent of your link - that is where I was directed to. It would mean ordering more than I would prefer to for testing purposes, however. But, it is on my list... thanks!
If she didn’t like a food, she wouldn’t eat more than a bite. So if Feeby ate a few bites of Wellness, I’d consider that a “wait and see” on her part, and offer it again another day.
I have another can to try, and will do so. But, Feeby is treating her 'normal' foods the same way when she loses interest in them - she might start out eating a few bites, but after that she leaves only to return sometime later, sniff it, and just sit there to see if I will give her something else. If I don't, she will walk away. She will repeat this over and over again. She has never outright refused a food to start with, only after a few 'test' bites, and then it is 'over'. A few days later, I can try the same food again, and get the same results. After that I don't want to try again - at least not for a long while.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another update - just got "the call" from the vet - Feeby is officially diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. :thud:
He doesn't want to do meds as a first line of 'correction' - he wants to try prescription food. He thinks, as of right now, her hyperthyroid status could be corrected by the food change only.
But, the big caveat is that she can eat no other food while on this script food. He says to give it a try, but given her recent behavior with food, he figures I will know within a few meals/days whether this plan is an option. If not, then we go to Plan B - meds.
I have a follow up call to him to ask about: 1.) any human food treats, 2.) her hairball treats, and 3.) her Glyco Flex Plus.
This is not going to go well. :censored:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Correct me if I'm wrong but if prescription food will correct her levels then the hyperthyroidism must be mild. Given Feebys history with food I would have thought a low dosage would work better. One of mine was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism at 15 and a low dosage tablet corrected it and kept her stable for a few years until it needed to be increased. So sorry you have this to deal with.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have anything to suggest, but wanted to post and let you know I'm still reading. Sorry about the latest diagnosis. Fingers crossed that Feeby might actually like the prescription food. Hugs and love to you both. 🤗🤗🤗 :hearthrob: :hearthrob: :hearthrob: :catlove:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Correct me if I'm wrong but if prescription food will correct her levels then the hyperthyroidism must be mild. Given Feebys history with food I would have thought a low dosage would work better. One of mine was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism at 15 and a low dosage tablet corrected it and kept her stable for a few years until it needed to be increased. So sorry you have this to deal with.
The vet said it was mild. That, and the fact he is not an advocate of prescribing meds unless absolutely necessary, is likely why he recommended the food first. But, yes, I tend to think with Feeby's current pickiness, this food is going to be a bust.

I want to do some research first, but I am just about to the point of waiting a few days and then telling the vet she didn't like the food - so that we can move on with the meds.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How is Feeby doing on her new food, will she eat it?
Be it right or wrong on my part, I elected to tell the vet (just today) that she will not eat it and asked for his input on moving ahead with meds. I honestly don't believe she would have taken to it so much that she could have been on it exclusively for months on end or longer - not to mention that she would not have been able to take her arthritis supplement, or have any baby food meat, or any treats, hairball or otherwise. She's 16+ yo for god's sake.

Edit: Thanks for asking!!!

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you have made the right decision. As it's very mild, the strength of the meds will be low. Bit of a pain having the blood tests but as long as she is well, thats what counts.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you have made the right decision. As it's very mild, the strength of the meds will be low. Bit of a pain having the blood tests but as long as she is well, thats what counts.
Thank you, and I sure hope so. Yeah, not real crazy about the blood testing, especially since it will likely have to be done on a no-appointment basis, meaning that unless I am terribly lucky (like I was a week ago), there will be some times we will have to wait awhile. At least I can be with her, as my vet has opened up his lobby (with masks and social distancing, of course).

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't know if it's the same with your vet but when Guinness was first diagnosis and put on meds she had a blood test one month later which showed it was the correct dosage and only had to have a blood test every six months. That's not so bad.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't know if it's the same with your vet but when Guinness was first diagnosis and put on meds she had a blood test one month later which showed it was the correct dosage and only had to have a blood test every six months. That's not so bad.
That would be super!!! I hope Feeby follows in Guinness' footsteps in this regard!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
10/12 - 10/18 Feeby Update

Not a whole lot of new info yet - sent an email to vet last Friday asking to pursue H-T meds, haven't heard back from him yet.

Feeding Feeby has become a royal PITA. Everyday is 'the great debate' with just about any food now - will she eat it or will she not... :paranoid:
It seems that turkey is the most recent 'meh' food, even the Sheba PP pate. Although, I did add some turkey baby food meat to it and she ended up eating most of it. I'd rather not 'wear out' the baby food meats as I use them for her daily arthritis supplement, and expect it will likely be one of my 'go to' foods for her H-T meds.

Despite my complaining, she did eat an average of 273 calories per day. She weighed in at 13.1 pounds this AM - down a couple ounces from last week.

Feeby is starting to once again lick her food dry, and adding water isn't as effective as it once was. So, on the search for gravy type toppers that don't contain chunks of meat and vegies since she won't eat them. Posted on my other thread, because I am really not sure if it should be posted here. (6 months later, Fancy Feast apparently 'sucks')