I Don't Know What To Do - 15+yo Cat

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would kill for some weight gain with Krista. Even to see a few ounces from one week to the next. Just to know that it’s possible.

If Feeby isn’t on any prescription medicine, have you considered CBD for her arthritis? It may not do much or it may do everything it’s claimed to be. As long as she doesn’t have prescription medicines to worry about interactions, it couldn’t hurt to try it. I would get a full spectrum large dog formula. The oil is the same. It’s just concentrated so you don’t have to give as much.

I would try it with Krista again. It seemed to work somewhat for her. But she has prescriptions now (steroids and chemo) that can definitely interact. 😔

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would kill for some weight gain with Krista. Even to see a few ounces from one week to the next. Just to know that it’s possible. If Feeby isn’t on any prescription medicine, have you considered CBD for her arthritis?
If I could I would give you the weight Feeby has lost to give to Krista, trust me. Feeby isn't on any prescription meds. But, I haven't yet considered it. I guess I need to do some reading up on it - keeping Feeby in mind when I do - and see what I think about it afterward.
Do you have something with the same ingredients in your country?
I could actually buy Lintbells YuMOVE for cats through Amazon UK which states they will deliver to the USA. But, when checking the ingredients in it against her Glyco Flex Plus, they are almost all the same. The Lintbells, however does not list specific amounts of each ingredients - so, I can't compare that aspect to the Glyco.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update for Week 6/30 – 7/5

I am going to say Feeby weighed in at 14.4 lbs today. Same as last week - with the caveat that I weighed her 3 times and got 3 different weights: 14.2, 14.4, 14.8. So, just sticking with 14.4. I am tempted to place tape around my feet on the scale so I can make sure I am standing in the same place consistently - have to assume that is the issue.:scale: Calories pretty much in the ‘ballpark’ as they have been recently (about 265 per day vs. 254 for previous week).

Flea combing produced about the same results as before - flea dirt, some blood, a few tiny fleas moving about, and maybe one or two slightly bigger fleas with limited mobility. I did it right before her every 10-day flea treatment on 7/1. And, like always within a day or so afterward, my husband found 3 sickly fleas on him as she was laying on a blanket on top if the couch where he was sitting. Not really making any headway, but not getting any worse either. Apparently, all I can hope for at this point. :sigh:

She did well with the fireworks, but could be the TV was helping to drown out the noises, not to mention it wasn’t as bad as I recall in past years. But, her new thing – which used to be her old thing – is to hide underneath our bed if there is thunder. She hasn’t done that in nearly a year. This is the 2nd time after hiding in our walk-in closet twice before that – all because of thunder. :storm: I thought she stopped hiding under the bed because of her arthritis, but the limp that returned a few weeks ago is still there, so that apparently isn’t it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update for Week 7/6 – 7/12

Well...I didn't follow my own advice and put tape on the scale to ensure I stand in the same place every time. And, I paid the price for it!! 3 weigh-ins - 2 different results. 13.8 :eek: (twice) and 14.4. After the third try, Feeby vehemently protested - it is beyond me why she is getting obstinate over being picked up for a few seconds to get weighed (even if it was 3 times in a row!). :argue: I weighed myself 4 MORE times after that and got 3 different readings - with a span of 4 oz in difference. The indicator to depict if the battery is low is NOT on - so that is not it, or shouldn't be. Of course, I didn't bother to put any tape on it before my test weigh-ins, but I will - and, then test it again. :rolleyes3: Can't freak out just yet with that 13.8 weight reading, given I am starting not to trust this scale at all.

Her caloric intake averaged the same per day as last week - 265. She has become fairly consistent with what/how she eats each day. She manages to eat between 3-4 oz in the span of 4 hours - 8AM and noon. Another 2-3 oz later, that she typically drags out for the rest of the day/evening. But, she gets hairball treats and Glyco Flex (and some baby food) around 4PM and most of the time a bite of human protein around 8PM. I suppose this might be why she doesn't always finish the last ounce or so before bedtime.

This past week just hasn't been one of my better ones...I screwed up with the Adv II treatment too, so this go 'round, she gets a break. I will give it to her at the two week mark instead of 10 days. I haven't flea combed her again yet either. But, I did NOT foul up on the vacuuming! :eviltongue:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried putting the scales on a different surface. It's surprising the variations you get. There is a difference of 1lb if I weight my cats in the bathroom then straight away take it downstairs in the hall and weight them again. What surface do you use and do you use the same surface every week.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried putting the scales on a different surface. It's surprising the variations you get. There is a difference of 1lb if I weight my cats in the bathroom then straight away take it downstairs in the hall and weight them again. What surface do you use and do you use the same surface every week.
Same surface/location every time! Of course, unless I tape the floor also, I might be off an inch or two. :lol:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same surface/location every time! Of course, unless I tape the floor also, I might be off an inch or two. :lol:
I wanted to know why digital scales are so inaccurate because I have experienced this inconsistency in readings with Krista as well. So I consulted Google this morning while I was waiting for the doc to call me after Krista's checkup.

Analog scales translate force through downward pressure on the platform into a lateral motion that turns the dial. The pressure you exert on the platform turns the dial.

Digital scales take 4 pressure readings from their feet and average them before transforming that force number into a weight. This means your scale can be inaccurate if the feet aren't even, if the floor isn't level, and if you aren't exerting equally distributed force through the center of the scale. Your best chance at accurate readings is to mark off where the edges of the scale should be placed, a border on the floor, and mark where your big toes should be positioned on the scale, preferably distributing your weight evenly throughout the platform. Then try not to have a wiggling cat throwing off that distribution. 😸

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your best chance at accurate readings is to mark off where the edges of the scale should be placed, a border on the floor, and mark where your big toes should be positioned on the scale, preferably distributing your weight evenly throughout the platform. Then try not to have a wiggling cat throwing off that distribution.
I am willing to mark on the scale re: the placement of my big toes - not sure how I feel about marking the :censored: floor. Maybe, I can use a seam line in the planks - vertically and horizontally.. All said, it is kind of ridiculous to have this much of an issue. If it weren't for my own weight being off, I'd just blame Feeby for a wiggle factor...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update for Week 7/13 – 7/19

Uh oh – someone must have read her TCS ‘press clippings’ and apparently didn't like being labeled as 'consistent'. :wink:

Feeby's food intake dropped, especially the past 3 days. She went from eating about 6 oz of canned a day to just 4 oz. Granted, she has been eating some dry food, but not enough to entirely make up the difference. On average, she ate about 245 calories per day (from 265 the previous week). That doesn't sound real bad, but if I just look at the last 3 days, she averaged 230 per day. While it has been extremely hot here for weeks, we have had less rain the past several days; so I suppose it isn't cooling off as much and she is eating less because of it. :dunno:

Using certain seams in the floor planks to align the scale with, and placing my feet in a specific spot, I tested it and 3 out of 4 times I got the same weight for myself. The one that was off was when I accidentally didn't hit the right spot when stepping on it. Then, I weighed her with me - just once - and she weighed 14.0 lbs. So, just going with that number.

Not sure anything to report on the flea situation, except it would seem she appears to be licking/scratching less. Still need to do a flea combing, as that is likely the best indicator. She has been less than impressed with the idea lately - so, easy for me to use that as an excuse not to do it. :running:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So she might have gained a little from last week ( at one weigh in she was 13.8). You cant do more than you are doing for her and she does seem to be in the same ball park of weight and calorie intake. It so stressful for you I know but keep doing what you are doing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So she might have gained a little from last week ( at one weigh in she was 13.8). You cant do more than you are doing for her and she does seem to be in the same ball park of weight and calorie intake. It so stressful for you I know but keep doing what you are doing.
After losing weight as she did, I was kind of worried about where it was leading to. I mean, she spent a number of years in the 17-18 pound range. And, then - boom - she started dropping weight. About 1.5 to 2 pounds in between her semi-monthly check ups in 2019. And, although the weight loss continued, it was/has been at a bit slower pace. Still, she has lost 2 more pounds over the course of this past year.

Some of it could be attributed to her being transitioned from dry to dry/canned combo, and now she is pretty much canned only. But, the transition started in 2017 with no real weight loss initially. She is overdue for her check up, but was seen last by the vet in October and had blood done last July - all was good then.

I just want to see her maintain her weight for at least 6 months for me to feel less concerned.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure if she could stay the same weight you would feel a lot more relaxed. She is a big kitty, has she always been? Does she feel underweight to you?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you could give Krista some of Feeby's excess weight, I'd happily give Feeby some of Krista's excess appetite in return.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sure if she could stay the same weight you would feel a lot more relaxed. She is a big kitty, has she always been? Does she feel underweight to you?
She was considered 'emaciated' when she found me and even then weighed almost 6 pounds (at around 2 yo) - that was in 2007. By, 2009/2010 she weighed around 16 pounds (yeah, I know my fault!!), and gained the rest up to almost 18 shortly thereafter. So, while I do think she is a big kitty to begin with, the vet still had always told me to get her to lose weight! She still has a fair amount of tissue over her ribs, but I can clearly feel her hip bones/back end. Can't really "see" bones.

If you could give Krista some of Feeby's excess weight, I'd happily give Feeby some of Krista's excess appetite in return.
;) If only there were a way to do that...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update for Week 7/19 - 7/26

I could only grab Feeby once today to weigh her - just a bit ago. Given the variance of my own weight (4 tries, 2 different weights), that would make her weight come out somewhere between 14.2 and 14.6. I guess I will just split the difference and go with 14.4, putting her 4 oz over last week. It's in the ballpark, and apparently that is all I can count on with this scale. :disturbed: If I average her weight over the past 3 mos, it comes out to 14.3. So, the goal of not seeing her on a continual losing pattern is what I was really looking for anyway. Her caloric intake averaged 256 this past week, so about 11 more calories per day that the week before. Also, within the ballpark over the past several months.

Flea combing yielded at least 5-6 lethargic fleas (and, some flea dirt). While we are not getting ahead of this issue, we are keeping it status quo. I guess I should be happy with that. :rolleyes3:

Her new hang out spots are due to my husband. He ordered shoes off the internet (couldn't find them in our local stores), so the packaging box is her new place to take some of her naps. During one of his work-from-home days, he accidentally dropped some papers on the floor and she ran right over to lay on them. Now, everyday he is here, he places papers on the floor and that is another place for her to take naps! However, she also reintroduced herself to an end table on the patio that she used to jump up on (only now she uses an interim step to get there) to - what else - take more naps!! :zzzcat: She even uses a coaster for her pillow!

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Flea combing yielded at least 5-6 lethargic fleas (and, some flea dirt). While we are not getting ahead of this issue, we are keeping it status quo. I guess I should be happy with that. :rolleyes3:
Not sure if you follow it or not, but fleas came up in Jcatbird Jcatbird 's thread and the Victor Flea Light was suggested. So maybe something to look into.

Amazon.com : victor flea light