I Don't Know What To Do - 15+yo Cat

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feebysowner I’m relieved to hear she is doing better (even if it is not completely better.) It is still a step in the right direction!

:crossfingers: I hope she gets completely better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Knock on wood (seems I've been doing that a lot lately) - Feeby's stool seems back to normal! If she has peed outside the litter box in the past 12-24 hours, I haven't found it yet. And, the two times she did pee in the box were closer to her normal amount.

Flea combing Feeby yesterday resulted in finding two very slow moving fleas, but there was also some flea dirt/dead fleas as well. My husband only found 4 tiny fleas in his morning venture through the house. Can't wait for the day he finds none! As I said before, it seems like the first vibration/heat source in the morning is when they 'come out' (emerging from the cocoon) - which is also what I read. So, what he doesn't find and kill in soapy water, may be getting to Feeby - when she is not on the coffee table that is - and dying when biting her, I hope anyway. Not that I want her bitten, but the more that emerge the less in total we should have lying in hiding somewhere in the house. Another vacuuming in store for today.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby is good to go on her eating/drinking/peeing/pooping! She is still spending most of her time on the coffee table, but has actually come to bed to sleep with me for the past 3 nights...the one thing from her 'past' that appears to be coming back into vogue for her!

Husband is running around without white socks all the time (some of that has to do with being too hot to always have socks on), and his ankles look a lot less flea-bitten. Still finding a few tiny ones here and there, but that is not really surprising as I guess it could go on for another couple of months, potentially.

Deciding when to put the next round of Adv II on her - the first one was 8/6. It's been so long since I have used this stuff - so, does once a month mean every 30 days, or 4 weeks?? :doh: I know, I am probably 'splitting hairs'. :rolleyes:

I think I want to get it on her before Hurricane Dorian comes along (now Tuesday for us).

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of splitting hairs, I don’t think I got enough of Krista’s Adv 2 down to the skin. I was reading that some of that riding on her fur will rub off in her environment so all is not lost. I just wonder how much really made it to the sebaceous glands where it needs to be to provide a full month’s protection.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Speaking of splitting hairs, I don’t think I got enough of Krista’s Adv 2 down to the skin. I was reading that some of that riding on her fur will rub off in her environment so all is not lost. I just wonder how much really made it to the sebaceous glands where it needs to be to provide a full month’s protection.
I know Krista is 'squirmy', but I part Feeby's hair with the flea comb and have the Adv II ready to go. Then, I wait maybe 30 seconds, and gently 'smush' the hair back together, covering the part.

So, what is your plan in terms of the time line?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know Krista is 'squirmy', but I part Feeby's hair with the flea comb and have the Adv II ready to go. Then, I wait maybe 30 seconds, and gently 'smush' the hair back together, covering the part.

So, what is your plan in terms of the time line?
She had what she’s had today. I’ll keep working the Adv 2 spray where I think it’s needed. Tomorrow we do another clean. Vacuum and laundry. Next week she goes to the vet to do some re-tests from last month and check for anemia or any other deterioration from the fleas. Probably also get her a B12 shot because I’m out of needles and they’re better at this than me. I bring my bottle of b12 and they don’t charge me for it. I guess we’ll use Capstar and other measures until next month. First of the month is good for me.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
but I part Feeby's hair with the flea comb and have the Adv II ready to go. Then, I wait maybe 30 seconds, and gently 'smush' the hair back together, covering the part.
How’s that quote go?

“Man makes plans and cats laugh.”

Isn’t that how that goes? There are so many cat procedures I know better than I can do. And so few of them I ever want to practice to get better.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Deciding when to put the next round of Adv II on her - the first one was 8/6. It's been so long since I have used this stuff - so, does once a month mean every 30 days, or 4 weeks?? :doh: I know, I am probably 'splitting hairs'. :rolleyes:
I used 4 different flea treatments this year, Advantage being one of them, and none was effective for fleas for a full 30 days. The ones that don't get transfered into the blood last shorter IME. (I'm actually curious if it's because they manage to lick it off from their skin when they groom themselves but couldn't find an answer.)

In the summer I usually go February-style and reapply after 28 days. A lot of people do these things on the same day to not forget like the 1st day of the month. If a product says "monthly" and not specifically warn "30 days", it should be safe to reapply after 28 days with February in mind.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The ones that don't get transfered into the blood last shorter IME. (I'm actually curious if it's because they manage to lick it off from their skin when they groom themselves but couldn't find an answer.)
Good theory. Most sebaceous gland topicals claim to be water-proof, but who knows for sure. I would imagine - as my vet said - they are less effective than those that enter the bloodstream, but frankly I am OK with that.

If a product says "monthly" and not specifically warn "30 days", it should be safe to reapply after 28 days with February in mind.
Thanks. I think I will go the 28 days route at least for now.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Although Feeby didn't sleep with me last night (??) after having done so for the previous 4 nights, she is starting to pick up a few more of her "old traits". She now occasionally goes to the kitchen (her old feeding station) to let me know she wants something to eat other than her dry food. I feed her canned 3-4 times a day, but apparently not always on the schedule that she wants! She has picked up her eating, but it might be because of the anxiety I am inadvertently transferring to her from hurricane fatigue/frustration. She has always been a bit of a consolation eater.

However, right now, she is relaxed on the patio - on a footstool that she hasn't touched in weeks and weeks.

Flea treatment #2 today with Adv II!! And, then continue to wait out the hurricane, as it continues to remain pretty stationary while completely demolishing the Bahamas.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby is still spending most of her time on the coffee table, and since Monday she hasn't bothered to come to bed to sleep with me. Go figure. :headscratch:

She has been outside on her patio at least once a day, but if it is not overcast or a tad cooler (like as in 85 degrees or less - :wink:) she is back inside within 5 minutes. Her days of basking in the sun in the middle of a summer day are apparently over, for whatever reason.

She has 4 more days of antibiotics to reach her 14 day treatment. I almost hate to take her off of them, since it seems like she will never totally get over the UTI/E Coli infection. But, maybe this last pee issue was related to the loose stools, as she hasn't peed outside the box since the stools started firming up, and that was only Day 2 into the antibiotic regimen. :dunno:

Fleas look to be under control, for the most part. My husband has stopped wearing white socks, and I think he found one flea yesterday morning. I did have a dead flea on my lap after Feeby was resting there two nights ago - but not last night. At least that one was dead!! Not letting my guard down just yet though.:nervous:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista remains off too. But I found the errors of my way. We haven’t been using an IGR for the premise. Thanks for fleascience.com. It’s definitely helping my plan of attack.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The fleascience.com web site is pretty cool. Glad it is helping you too! IGR appears to be the key.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, since I was seeing Feeby spend some time in other places than the coffee table I figured that once it became just an occasional interest, I might be able to declare the war on fleas over. But, now I am wondering if she might ever stop hanging out there!! :eek3: Or, maybe we have a battle or two left before the end of the war. :fear:

I don't think we've seen a flea in days now, and I haven't found any on her. But, she is still spending the better part of her time on that :censored: coffee table. I will give her the benefit of the doubt that she is still getting a flea bite here or there, and wait a while longer before I begin to worry that she thinks she has found her new, forever hang out. :sweat:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby, or as I am currently calling her "Coffee table Mabel", went to bed with me a couple of nights ago - so only once in the past week. :dunno: She did, however, for maybe the second time since all of this 'stuff' with the fleas and whatnot started back in July, hang out on the foot part of my recliner - what used to be her old nightly routine before bed time.

This morning when I got up she was off the table and on the floor with one of the fabric ribbons she will sometimes play with. She was also outside on her beloved patio on one of her perches for a bit earlier today. Now, she is laying on the floor by me while I am on the computer. So, little by little, we might see more of the top of the coffee table without her body sprawled all over it! :rolleyes2:

Not sure if it was just a fluke - or another round in a series of unexplained events - but, she threw up sometime last evening on her way to the litter box. I can count the number of times on one hand that she has thrown up that much in her whole life. I am guilty of having given her some shrimp from our dinner last night (yep, it came up with some liquid from digested canned food), but she has had it before - so?? I also gave her some of the canned RC SO yesterday - first time since the loose stool incident when she had that food, exclusively, for 4 days in a row. So, who knows. :confused:

She has since eaten some dry food (very little) and some C/D canned, not to mention I gave her a piece of low sodium deli turkey a bit ago - a favorite of hers. So far, no more throwing up.:crossfingers:

My BIL passed away Monday night, so I will be gone over the weekend and counting on my husband to take care of all her needs while I am gone - no offense but :thud:!

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Feeby, or as I am currently calling her "Coffee table Mabel", went to bed with me a couple of nights ago - so only once in the past week. :dunno: She did, however, for maybe the second time since all of this 'stuff' with the fleas and whatnot started back in July, hang out on the foot part of my recliner - what used to be her old nightly routine before bed time.

This morning when I got up she was off the table and on the floor with one of the fabric ribbons she will sometimes play with. She was also outside on her beloved patio on one of her perches for a bit earlier today. Now, she is laying on the floor by me while I am on the computer. So, little by little, we might see more of the top of the coffee table without her body sprawled all over it! :rolleyes2:

Not sure if it was just a fluke - or another round in a series of unexplained events - but, she threw up sometime last evening on her way to the litter box. I can count the number of times on one hand that she has thrown up that much in her whole life. I am guilty of having given her some shrimp from our dinner last night (yep, it came up with some liquid from digested canned food), but she has had it before - so?? I also gave her some of the canned RC SO yesterday - first time since the loose stool incident when she had that food, exclusively, for 4 days in a row. So, who knows. :confused:

She has since eaten some dry food (very little) and some C/D canned, not to mention I gave her a piece of low sodium deli turkey a bit ago - a favorite of hers. So far, no more throwing up.:crossfingers:

My BIL passed away Monday night, so I will be gone over the weekend and counting on my husband to take care of all her needs while I am gone - no offense but :thud:!
Good luck with ure kitty n im so sorry about ure BIL
:alright::heartshape::goodluck::redheartpump::grouphug: