I Don't Know What To Do - 15+yo Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No 'earth shattering' update. But, after the vet visit, we have a bit of a rebound in fleas. It took a couple of days to realize what was going on, and at that point there was still nearly a week until her next flea treatment was due. So, I guess it had waned enough to spur a small emergence? Hence, the reason for my other post (Waning efficacy of topical flea treatments?). Did they come from the vet or just coincidence? Who knows. I re-treated the house, and gave Feeby her flea treatment a couple of days early (10/27). As of now, it looks like we might again be in the clear. However, I also treated the entire yard, since I didn't do it before. From now on, the last week before she is due another flea treatment, I will be watching her (and the house) a little more closely.

I haven't weighed her again (she is not impressed with being on the scale, much less sitting on it), but for the most part she is eating enough to sustain a 15 pound cat. It is still a chore with more than 1/2 hour per each of her 4 canned food meals, scooping and re-scooping while adding some bone broth and baby food meat - but that is apparently the best I am going to get from her. She has started to munch some dry food on her own at her old kitchen station - but, probably no more than 5 or 6 pieces a day. Lots of dry food being thrown out!

It was two days ago the last time she spent any time on the coffee table - yesterday she only sat on her step up to the table and didn't go any further. I really wanted her to stop spending time there, but now I am wondering why the sudden lack of interest in what had become her primary hangout. Over thinking on my part, I hope! Her new nearly full time hangout is her window perch, which also used to be one of her 'old' spots as well. No extended stays on the patio like she used to do, but she does go out there at least once or twice a day for a few minutes each.

And, while she won't sleep by my head anymore, she is coming to bed most nights. She hogs up most of the lower half of my side of the bed, by sleeping horizontally. So, as a result, I am 'taking over' a portion of my husband's side. LOL!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I give one of mine about 10 pieces of dry food at a time ( trying to get him to eat less dry) but maybe Feeby would consume more daily this way and there would be no waste. Its really difficult not to mention time consuming to get them to eat enough food daily. Its good that she is maintaining her weight, your doing a great job.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I give one of mine about 10 pieces of dry food at a time ( trying to get him to eat less dry) but maybe Feeby would consume more daily this way and there would be no waste. Its really difficult not to mention time consuming to get them to eat enough food daily. Its good that she is maintaining her weight, your doing a great job.
Thanks! I could put out less dry food in her two bowls (about 1/8 cup each) and be able to throw out less. But, before she stopped eating dry food, she never wanted to see her dish mostly empty and would complain if it were, even if she didn't want to eat any of it. So, I was concerned that she would not try to eat any if the dish only had a few pieces in it. Maybe I will try 1/16 of a cup instead, just to see what she does. After all, technically her canned food is enough that she wouldn't need any dry, but I want her to have some dry left out just in case she wants something in between her canned meals.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't found another vet yet - and besides, a new vet would probably want bloodwork, urinalysis, fecal testing, and ??? Might as well have her current vet do these things if need be - the information can be shared with a new vet at any time.

Just a quickie note here. In the past I have not taken my cat to a different vet because I always felt that the primary vet would feel slighted and the second vet would want to do his own tests all over again which would be more expense. I could not have been more incorrect. I recently took a cat to a new vet, and that office called the primary vet to get the notes, x-rays, ultrasound, blood work report, etc. and used those as a basis for their own diagnosis. So don't let that anticipated expense stop you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just a quickie note here. In the past I have not taken my cat to a different vet because I always felt that the primary vet would feel slighted and the second vet would want to do his own tests all over again which would be more expense. I could not have been more incorrect. I recently took a cat to a new vet, and that office called the primary vet to get the notes, x-rays, ultrasound, blood work report, etc. and used those as a basis for their own diagnosis. So don't let that anticipated expense stop you.
Thanks. If you continued to read this thread past my 8/26 comment, I think you will see I am past the need at this point for a second opinion. But, yes, I understand that most vets will take the records/tests from another vet to perform their own analysis. I had all testing done by my existing vet knowing that it could be shared with a second vet if need be. Given that my vet felt most of Feeby's health issues resulted from the flea infestation, her age, and her reaction to the whole event - and, given that he seems to have been correct in his assessment, I see no need for a second opinion at this time. But, I can always change my mind later!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just venting, I guess. Since Sunday, Feeby's eating has slowed down and she hasn't been as mobile as she was. She hasn't even attempted to go out onto her patio today. I am not sure she went out there at all yesterday either. She slept with me Monday night after coming to the bedroom and hanging out on the floor for about an hour, but last night she spent the entire night on the floor. For the most part, she is spending all of her time in the window perch, unless my husband carries her out to the living room in the evening.

Just a week ago, I was beginning to wonder if I needed to back off on her food just a tad - there were a few days she ate 350 calories; way over what she really needs. And, then Sunday & Monday she didn't even eat 1 whole can of cat food either day (but, she did have baby food meat with what she did eat) - and, no dry food. Maybe a bite of human meat during our dinner each night. Yesterday, I managed to get her to eat 1 1/8 can, but I it took me 6 very-long-drawn-out meal sessions as opposed to her standard 4. Even this morning, I struggled to get her to eat 1/4 of a can - over the course of 2 hours - and I almost used an entire jar of baby food meat to get her to eat that. Typically, over the course of 4 meals I use one jar.

Drinking and using the litter box just fine, thankfully. So, I guess we are back into a spell of bad days. Hope to report back very soon that she has rebounded again. I have got to find a way to accept that this rebound-relapse cycle is going to be our new norm. :disappointed:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It would seem that Feeby has rebounded again! :)

She spends very little time on the coffee table at this point, but still does go there to eat some of her canned food meals. She has spent a bit more time on the patio, and decided to sleep on the bed again at night - at least for the past two nights. She has also started to eat some of her dry food at her 'old' food station in the kitchen. She hasn't done that for months! I am hoping this pattern continues, as I would like for her to get re-accustomed to eating her canned food there as well - and, hopefully get her off that coffee table completely. I think, if even possible, we are a long way off from this lofty goal! Especially, since she is spending a lot of time in the back perch window, and still wants to sometimes eat there too.

The only thing that seems incongruous with the rebound is that her squawking has increased again. I don't see any fleas, so not sure how this behavior fits into the big scheme of things. :headscratch:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I guess Feeby has created her own flea alarm for me - squawking! I combed her and found fleas on her...They were all dead or dying, but someplace(s) in our house have eggs/larvae lying dormant - that apparently weren't effectively sprayed with IGR - and she has found them. So, here we go again. She was on a couch last night she hasn't been on for a while - perhaps I didn't spray it thoroughly enough. :gaah:

Also, tells me that my vet was right about the reduced effectiveness of Advantage II. :angryfire:

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once fleas get a hold of a house they are little so and sos' to get rid of. My vet told me they love laying eggs at the base of skirting boards if the room is carpeted but lets face it, I dont think they care where they go. Good luck in tracking them down.