I Don't Know What To Do - 15+yo Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
You know I tried just about every supplement I could with Krista for her stool issues. I found Optagest digestive enzymes with prebiotic to be the most benign and potentially most helpful. It didn't make matters worse and I believe it did help her. Aside from saccharomyces boulardii for chronic diarrhea (e.g. from antibiotic use or her clostridium infection), I don't know that I ever found a probiotic that I could point to and say, "yes! that one worked well for us." Optagest however did seem to make a difference for her.
The thing is, I am not fighting a diarrhea issue with Feeby. It has only been with the salmon cat food experiment that she had diarrhea - and, she went back to 'normal' once the salmon cleared her system. Her stools aside from that are good - always have been (knock on wood).

I am fighting a food intake issue that seems to 'come and go'. I just happened to make matters worse with my attempts at salmon to try to entice her to eat more of something.

The calorie supplements are terrible; and the probiotics are really more for digestive issues, which I don't think she has - unless I screw her up with some food that she apparently can't handle.

Her eating problems are likely more related to some health issue - as yet undetermined - or, just aging in general. I am just so glad she was overweight at the start of this, or we could be in a much worse place.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
I can't remember the name of the food, it was many years ago but it could be that one. Do you have the equivalent of Liquivite, Feeby might like it as well as solid food.
Liquivite Cat Food (Large 395g Can Cat): Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies
Just to let you know - I was not able to find any equivalent to this in the US. It might have been a solution at least part of the time, or until she would have gotten sick of it. I can't for the life of me figure out why nobody in the US produces anything remotely like this.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Reaction score
The thing is, I am not fighting a diarrhea issue with Feeby. It has only been with the salmon cat food experiment that she had diarrhea - and, she went back to 'normal' once the salmon cleared her system. Her stools aside from that are good - always have been (knock on wood).

I am fighting a food intake issue that seems to 'come and go'. I just happened to make matters worse with my attempts at salmon to try to entice her to eat more of something.

The calorie supplements are terrible; and the probiotics are really more for digestive issues, which I don't think she has - unless I screw her up with some food that she apparently can't handle.

Her eating problems are likely more related to some health issue - as yet undetermined - or, just aging in general. I am just so glad she was overweight at the start of this, or we could be in a much worse place.
I am also in this situation - Mogi had lost weight and her condition was poor. No health issues found so I have been paying her more attention, feeding her away from the other cats, and trying different cat food. Results up to now: after a couple of months an increase in weight of 200 g = 5% of her initial weight. Then it remained constant for three months, but a few weeks ago she started losing weight so we're back to square one. (A second negative effect is that my other cats seem to react badly to any changes in diet, so I'm not doing them a favor by buying different cat-food).

I'm beginning to wonder if it's partly a seasonal problem - all my cats eat more in winter than in summer, although they are indoor-only cats. Do you know how much a cat's weight can vary without it being abnormal? I read somewhere that a loss of 6% body weight is cause for alarm and warrants a visit to the vet. I am used to weighing kittens and not getting too worried when instead of gaining 20g they lost 20g. If they've just eaten a big meal they are abnormally heavy and if they've just been in the litter box they are abnormally light - but for adult cats I've no experience at all - and tend to blame any variations on the stupid scales! I'm visiting the vet with another cat next week - so will mention Mogi's weight problem. She's due for a check-up anyway so maybe we'll bring the date forward. I was hoping to wait till lockdown had been lifted.

Perhaps, as you suggest, Feeby's and Mogi's problems are just old age - lack of appetite meaning they are just not getting what their bodies need. I will do as much as possible to keep my cat alive and encourage her to eat, but, if she doesn't want to eat, I am not going to force feed her. I have force-fed a younger cat, who survived a bad accident, but that was different. When she recovered from her injuries, she was able and willing to feed herself. But if force-feeding is going to have to be a daily torture till the end of her life, I would choose a shorter but more peaceful life for Mogi. However, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner and I are both a long way from that point. We're still looking for alternative answers.

Good luck to you and Feeby!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
gilmargl gilmargl - I hope you find some possible solutions with Mogi. I have no other cats, so in that sense, I don't have to worry about any changes I make with Feeby - unlike you (:hugs:).I am in FL, so winter here is a bit different, and if anything Feeby ate less during January, which was the coolest for us.

Feeby's most recent weight loss is right around 6% in a month's time - from end of Dec to end of Jan. That, if you read anything in the above posts, happened after her maintaining her weight for 3 months just like Mogi. However those 3 months are when Feeby had just started on hyperthyroid meds. So, that part I don't know. What I have read is that no cat should lose more than a pound a month - but, that is when working with a concerted weight loss effort.

I don't know how old Mogi is, but make sure she receives the full scope check up - for Feeby, that means a geriatric blood testing (CBC, Super Chem, & thyroid), along with a urine sample - and all the standard other 'stuff'.