I Don't Know What To Do - 15+yo Cat

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is certainly keeping you on her toes. I have recently bought Sheba perfect portions, they are just under 30 cals per portion but Kiwi loves them, she will refuse her usual food but eat one of these...as you said...go figure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is certainly keeping you on her toes. I have recently bought Sheba perfect portions, they are just under 30 cals per portion but Kiwi loves them, she will refuse her usual food but eat one of these...as you said...go figure.
So, what happens if Kiwi eats just those and not her regular food? Does she go back to eating her regular food after a brief change up?
I want to be able to add some kind of enhancer to Feeby's current food, not replace it. I did buy a couple of packets of lickable Nutrish Purrfect Broths to add to to her food - just because I haven't been anywhere but the grocery store to find some kind of topper.

After all these years, I am not a fan of having to have a gazillion different foods to interchange in order for her to eat - I know others do it, but I can't believe you have to do this for a cat that has pretty much eaten the same thing for most of her life. What's interesting to me is that until I introduced canned food, she never had an issue eating the same dry food for 10+ years. Coincidence?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kiwi will only eat half a 100gm sacket at a time so she needs to eat about 5 times a day to consume 200 cals (yes I created this monster) . She will eat her usual food in the morning and afternoon but will refuse it later in the day, this is when I give her a perfect portion and she scoffs it then later she will eat her usual food. She weights about 10.8 lbs, is not a big cat but my vet would like her to get down to 10lb. Buzz eats 300+ cals a day and weights 9lb and is lean. Both are not active. I think every cat is individual.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Weekly Update 8/10 - 8/16

I started trying a rendition of what V verna davies is doing - different meal times consisting of different foods. I'm giving Feeby just the C/D in the morning, since that is when she is most willing to eat. Then, later, I give her just the FF. I thought this might help increase her calories, but not really. This past week she averaged only 208 per day. :disappointed:

I haven't tried any other foods as I am still worried that she will reject her current foods altogether. I did order bonito flakes (should arrive tomorrow) and will try that as a topper just to see what she does. The next test will likely be to try the Sheba Perfect Portions pate as a later-in-the-day meal since that is when her eating tapers off until the following morning. I might also buy some bone broth to add to her food, since that worked for a while several months back before I started feeding her FF.

She might learn to understand the variation in food from meal to meal in a given day - she certainly has learned that she will get her Glyco Flex in baby food meat and pretty much won't eat any of it now without the baby food. And, she actually knows what time of day she can expect to get this 'meal'. I put down the Glyco pieces with her hairball treats. She eats around the Glyco to get the treats, and then looks up at me like: "OK, so where the good stuff??":devilish:

Flea situation might ( :crossfingers: ) be turning around. I've done two recent flea combing sessions on her, and yielded 2 or 3 really sick or dead fleas, a bit of flea dirt, and very little 'red tint' to the paper towel when I dry the comb before the next stroke. However, this could also be because I wasn't as thorough as normal - to help prevent her from going ballistic on me. After the last flea combing, she got her first Adv II treatment since July 30.

She seems to be sleeping more than usual (if that is possible) - so, will be keeping an eye on her to ensure additional issues don't start 'cropping up'. And, no weigh in yet today because she is sleeping. Will try to 'catch' her later.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does she like dry food, if so mix 6 to 10 nuggets of it in with her wet food. I have to do this with Buzz at every meal and by the time he has taken a mouthful of food around the dry, he has eaten most of the wet. We have to be as sneaky as them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does she like dry food, if so mix 6 to 10 nuggets of it in with her wet food. I have to do this with Buzz at every meal and by the time he has taken a mouthful of food around the dry, he has eaten most of the wet. We have to be as sneaky as them.
After I started adding canned food to her diet (she used to eat dry food only), she weaned herself off dry altogether. I did try smashing up some of her dry as a topper to the wet and she refused to eat any of it!! What I didn't do was actually mix them together, so might still try that too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mini update - 8/18

Got Feeby on the scale - she weighed in at 14.2 lbs. (Last week, I charted 13.8 - 14.0) I tried as hard as I could to set my feet in the exact same spot when weighing myself and making sure the placement of the scale on the floor is in the exact same location as it was in previous weeks - but it appears this scale will vary by a couple of ounces no matter what I do. If she would have come under 14.0, I probably would have weighed her a couple of more times. But, this is in the ballpark - despite her lesser caloric intake - so just going to go with it. :disappointed:

She has practically abandoned her 2 accidental bed-boxes; but has recently been using another older one that has a drape covering the entry way. She also started resting in a place against the wall that she used months and months ago. For the life of me, I can't remember if there was anything specific going on when she last favored that spot. Hope it is just her cycling through all of her 'options'. :winkcat:

Testing out the bone broth added to her food - too soon to tell if it will make any difference.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mini update - 8/18

Got Feeby on the scale - she weighed in at 14.2 lbs. (Last week, I charted 13.8 - 14.0) I tried as hard as I could to set my feet in the exact same spot when weighing myself and making sure the placement of the scale on the floor is in the exact same location as it was in previous weeks - but it appears this scale will vary by a couple of ounces no matter what I do. If she would have come under 14.0, I probably would have weighed her a couple of more times. But, this is in the ballpark - despite her lesser caloric intake - so just going to go with it. :disappointed:

She has practically abandoned her 2 accidental bed-boxes; but has recently been using another older one that has a drape covering the entry way. She also started resting in a place against the wall that she used months and months ago. For the life of me, I can't remember if there was anything specific going on when she last favored that spot. Hope it is just her cycling through all of her 'options'. :winkcat:

Testing out the bone broth added to her food - too soon to tell if it will make any difference.
I loved bone broth for Krista. Until I gave her clostridium from an undercooked drumstick. Then I never had quite the same level of trust in bone broth that I did before. The important thing is that if you are making it yourself, it's better to cook it too long than not long enough. If you're buying it, then they probably have thermometers in the mix to make sure everything gets cooked to a minimum temperature.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant to say something earlier. I have mixed feelings about bonito flakes. They definitely got Krista through pancreatitis and a number of foods and medicines she otherwise would not have taken. They gave her exercise and something to hunt for. They gave vets and vet techs something to distract and calm her down with. They were a treat she could still enjoy after all her remaining teeth were removed. They gave her so much joy! If I knew the last morning with Krista would be the last morning, I'd shovel flakes into her as much as she wanted. Hopefully she has her snout in the big bag in the sky by now.

But,... somewhere along the way (or they always have been and it was just a matter of exposure?) they became inflammatory for her. It was the flakes that I was wrapping her pred pills in that was preventing her from achieving remission. But it was also the flakes getting her to take her pill every night. It was the flakes, I'm convinced, that caused an allergic reaction in her ear requiring her surgery. I'll never know. But it's something to consider.

If they become a hit with Feeby, try periods without them to see if they are affecting Feeby's health like they affected Krista.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any 'add on' foods/flavorings I try with Feeby are intended to be temporary - or, at least not daily. If the bone broth helps, great. But, I will also try the bonito flakes too. If they help, also great. But then she won't get both in the same day. Ditto with anything else I try.

Btw, last time I gave her bone broth, it 'wore out its welcome' after a bit - I suspect the same thing will happen again. I am guessing that is going to be the story with most anything I try. So, until she proves me wrong, I would surmise that there will be no possibility to make any of these things long term in her diet. This is good, but also kind of frustrating at the same time. This is a cat who ate the exact same damn thing for over 10 years.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any 'add on' foods/flavorings I try with Feeby are intended to be temporary - or, at least not daily. If the bone broth helps, great. But, I will also try the bonito flakes too. If they help, also great. But then she won't get both in the same day. Ditto with anything else I try.

Btw, last time I gave her bone broth, it 'wore out its welcome' after a bit - I suspect the same thing will happen again. I am guessing that is going to be the story with most anything I try. So, until she proves me wrong, I would surmise that there will be no possibility to make any of these things long term in her diet. This is good, but also kind of frustrating at the same time. This is a cat who ate the exact same damn thing for over 10 years.
When was the last time she’s been to the vet? Has she had her teeth checked out recently?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When was the last time she’s been to the vet? Has she had her teeth checked out recently?
She is past due for her semi-annual check up (April). As with many folks, I am not the least bit happy about the current 'drop off' approach. I am in the midst of asking them to explain to me just how they are handling this - with video chat, follow up call, or what. When the vet checked her teeth during her last check up, he indicated that she has some minor gingivitis - something he said was not enough for him to want to do anything about it. He said based on her age, what she had was pretty much inevitable. I haven't pried her mouth open yet, but did a thorough 'petting' of her jaw/neck/cheek area to see if there was any sensitivity - none.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is past due for her semi-annual check up (April). As with many folks, I am not the least bit happy about the current 'drop off' approach. I am in the midst of asking them to explain to me just how they are handling this - with video chat, follow up call, or what. When the vet checked her teeth during her last check up, he indicated that she has some minor gingivitis - something he said was not enough for him to want to do anything about it. He said based on her age, what she had was pretty much inevitable. I haven't pried her mouth open yet, but did a thorough 'petting' of her jaw/neck/cheek area to see if there was any sensitivity - none.
The current "drop-off" approach isn't going anywhere. If you're lucky, you might be able to convince a mobile vet to come into your home. Otherwise, I'd take her down for that overdue checkup. Don't let the pandemic be an excuse to overlook this necessary care as she gets older. The specific details will probably differ according to your vet. But the few times I've navigated the vet since Covid, I dropped Krista off. If I wasn't expecting her to be seen right away, that was it. I'd drive off and wait for a follow-up call from the vet. If it was a recheck visit we had scheduled, like those for her post-surgery follow-ups, then I waited in the car in the parking lot for the follow-up call and for them to bring my tiny patient back to me. Maybe it was just her condition, but I think this method might have been less stressful on her. The times they had to sedate her to see her since Covid dropped to zero. Maybe without the waiting rooms full of animals, it had become a less stressful event for her. Or maybe the new vets she saw were just more skilled at navigating her grumps.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know, I know. I can't wait much longer. She is really very relaxed in the lobby while sitting with me. She is a tiny bit put-off for the first minute or so in the car - but, then I only have less than a 10 minute drive to the vet. And, no I don't take her in the car otherwise - so, I know... She really only gets a bit antsy when being poked for blood and temp check. I personally love my vet, but his right-hand-tech can be a bit harsh/rough at times - nice enough person, but very much all business/no fooling around or taking things slow. She is the one I would be most worried about if I can't keep an eye on her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have taken my dog to the vet multiple times since COVID started, but he has to go no matter what. The clinic is very nurturing and he actually voluntarily walked in with the vet tech. Three cats have gone; one is one of the recently adopted ferals and she was only ever at the vet in a trap when she was TNRed. The vet had easy ups in the parking lot and while we sat there with the AC on, they did come and get the animals very quickly. Elise the former feral evidently enjoyed the visit, Chelsea and Jamie were ticked off, but that would have happened if I had gone in the room with them.

I have not postponed any of my own medical appointments and did not like the idea of postponing those of the animals. A friend in San Francisco told me that her vet said that without the owners in the hospital, the dogs are all calmer as they have no one to defend, so that at least makes for a quieter waiting area and might relax the cats as well.

Can you address the issue with the vet tech who is not the most gentle or would that start something.

My cat clinic is not going to open up any time soon no matter what as the vet who owns the practice is in his 70s and recently survived a heart attack, so he is not going to take any chances.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've sent my vet an email, asking them the details of their current process for appointments. I also outlined what has been going on with her eating/weight.
Can you address the issue with the vet tech who is not the most gentle or would that start something.
I think this would require a face-to-face discussion, which I am guessing is not in the cards at this point.

I feel an appointment is in Feeby's near future, whether or not I like the process...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good news - bad news. The good news is that my vet has just changed their practice so that pet owner's can now be in the exam rooms with their pets!!!! Their lobby is open to wait before the appointments, masks and social distancing, of course.

The bad news (well, kind of anyway) is that he wants to see her, based on my email to him. He is squeezing me in tomorrow morning. I guess that is the only time this week he can do so. Then he is off all next week and doesn't want to wait until the following week.

I am stoked I can be with her, but scared about his urgency to get her into be checked out.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Glad that you can go with Feeby at least. Some of my friends in the east and midwest had said that their vets were allowing what you describe. The vet may just want her to come in for the semi annual appointment since the virus threw everything off schedule.