I don't know Much

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
The story behind these cats are that one woman got 8 kittens that she refused to fix. They grew up mated with toms and had kittens of their own. Finally after few years the cats were up to 100 and then she got fed up feeding them so she threw them all out to the curb. A kind man down the street opened his doors 24/7 for the cats to wander in and out as they wish to eat. However the continued to breed and since he was elderly and disabled he couldn't do much except poor food and water in bowls for the cats. When he passed at the age of 94 he is out of state relatives kicked them to the curb where they took to raiding commercial dumpsters til some kind woman who worked our city hall took it upon herself to have them all TNRd. Some had to be put down due to disease, some were ok but had to be taken to a no kill shelter and the rest released back into the area. Sopdet, was abused in first home and thus has damaged vocal chords. I think that's why the raccoons are scared of her because when she attempts to make a sound she sounds just like a raccoon. But she can't meow or do anything a cat would do because of her damaged vocal chords. I'm not sure how she would alert anyone if she was stuck in a shed or something. But the raccoons came back last night and this time the little guy came with Mom.
This is a text book case of how the cat population can grow in no time. Now throw a horder or irresponsible people (even well-meaning people who just don't know what to do)into the mix and you got a few fledge CATastrophe🙀 on your hands. I had to get TNR certified and had to trap along side a TNR group who trapped and helped in other ways. They were very helpful in getting this situation stabalized. However, when I had a fight with the hoarder, she had those people actually DEFEND her and treated me like I was the problem for wanting to get the friendly cats off the streets after her husband begged for this to be done stating he wanted his yard back and that his wife was feeding TOO many cats. Funny, how he clammed up when this fight happened. The TNR group shot every legit concern I had down, even when I kept bringing up concerns about the cats welfare. I told them that the neighbor said she would contact her lawyer should i speak to her again after our fight. I told them this, but the tnr group said whatever MY Issues are with the feeder I should work it out and to STOP taking things out on the cats. WTH😲 Some of these hoarders fool animal advocate groups so well, that they actually DEFEND them. Just crazy. The neighbors are not happy with the cats all over the place. I told to hoarder via email that people were throwing stuff at the cats, and she just brushed it off. I think this lady is devious for the bs she tried to pull on me, but I think she is not fully in her right mind either.

TG that lady intervened in that hoarding situation on your block. The old man's heart was in the right place, but he was ill equipped to deal with the situation. RIP Shame on his relatives, but that reaction to situations like this is all to common

Sorry about Sopdet suffered because of this hoarding, as did the others. Thankfully, you are there for her and the others, even the raccoons. To them, you are their rock star. For you to go through this and come out the other end shows you how strong you are. I want to help the cats the best I can , but eventually move away (for many reasons, but one of them is the uncertainty of living with a cat hoarder on the block). I hope she is not feeding any new intact cats or we are back to square one in no time. I will seriously lose it. Love cats, but not out of control breeding. I have seen plenty of this in the past, and never want to see that again. I tell people all the time, yes feed the cats, but get them tnred in right away or you will be in way over your head. Nip it in the bud!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The little raccoon fought back and ran off the bully. Now the two are eating side by side while Treasure keeps looking at them like “I’m trying to sleep. Please keep the noise down”. lol.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Raccoon youngster collapsed the cat food tent on himself. He got out but the kids were scurrying around trying to figure out how to fix it. Finally they gave up

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankfully no raccoons or possums in the tent that went down last night. Tent is still in good shape. I think though I may get a styrofoam cooler and cut feeding holes in it and place over the food and leave the tent where it is now for wandering cats that may get caught in the rain. I don't have an outlet outside and hate to use those hot hands because of environment. And needing something that last 12 to 13 hours to keep the food station warm.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Thankfully no raccoons or possums in the tent that went down last night. Tent is still in good shape. I think though I may get a styrofoam cooler and cut feeding holes in it and place over the food and leave the tent where it is now for wandering cats that may get caught in the rain. I don't have an outlet outside and hate to use those hot hands because of environment. And needing something that last 12 to 13 hours to keep the food station warm.
I use the microwavable discs. They are suppose to last 8 hours. However, with my experience with them in wintertime, they last just over 3 hours in cold temperatures. If you live in a place with the temps don't go into the 30's (F) or below than they can stay warm longer. I put them in the winter shelters and use mylar blankets as well. I know of feeders who used them to warm water bowls. You can buy these discs on Amazon for $25 dollar. I really wish they lasted much longer. Maybe they will perfect it so it does last 12 hours. That would be so helpful.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I live where temps can go to below 0 with wind chill. Mom won't let me use her microwave as it's like 45 years old.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
I live where temps can go to below 0 with wind chill. Mom won't let me use her microwave as it's like 45 years old.
Have you tried putting a pinch of sugar in the water bowls? I have done it and it seened to work. I got that tip from an older cat feeder who has been feeding cats for 40 years.