I Don’t Know If My Kittens Medication Is Working Anymore

3kittybuns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, It’s been exactly a week since my kitten Nala was attacked by two dogs, and she’s recovering insanely fast. She’s already trying to escape her cage and has actually managed to successfully do so. But I was just concerned that the medication she’s been taking has potentially stopped working, since one of her medications (gabapentin) is suppose to make her drowsy and she was for the first 4 days. Until about 2 days ago, she doesn’t wanna sleep as much and just wants to escape, Idk if that’s just a sign that her medication has stopped taking effect or she’s just healed and is more energetic.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, It’s been exactly a week since my kitten Nala was attacked by two dogs, and she’s recovering insanely fast. She’s already trying to escape her cage and has actually managed to successfully do so. But I was just concerned that the medication she’s been taking has potentially stopped working, since one of her medications (gabapentin) is suppose to make her drowsy and she was for the first 4 days. Until about 2 days ago, she doesn’t wanna sleep as much and just wants to escape, Idk if that’s just a sign that her medication has stopped taking effect or she’s just healed and is more energetic.
If she's healing, I think you're ok (but I'm not a vet). If you're just worried that a medication is supposed to make her drowsy, I have 2 thoughts on that:
1. Is it supposed to make her drowsy, or does is have a chance to make her drowsy? Not all side effects affect everyone, and just like any medication, some people will have different experiences with them than others.
2. It's possible that she's built up a slight tolerance to the drowsy part of the medication, but everything behind the scenes could still be working.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3kittybuns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she's healing, I think you're ok (but I'm not a vet). If you're just worried that a medication is supposed to make her drowsy, I have 2 thoughts on that:
1. Is it supposed to make her drowsy, or does is have a chance to make her drowsy? Not all side effects affect everyone, and just like any medication, some people will have different experiences with them than others.
2. It's possible that she's built up a slight tolerance to the drowsy part of the medication, but everything behind the scenes could still be working.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3kittybuns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suppose that’s true I’m just worried about her, but the side effect of gabapentin is sedation. So yes it should make her pretty sleepy most of the time.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I suppose that’s true I’m just worried about her, but the side effect of gabapentin is sedation. So yes it should make her pretty sleepy most of the time.
If you're worried (and we totally understand being completely worried about our babies), give the vet a call and see what they say. Shouldn't be any harm in asking them a question.