I dont have money for cat food and I dont know what to do

TheFitStrawberry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I own two cats, and normally feed them a mix of wet and dry food. Unfortunately, I had an unexpected medical emergency, and my bank account now is basically completely empty. My paycheck doesn't come until next Friday, and I have maybe 1-2 days supply of dry food left and almost no wet food. This has never happened before and I honestly don't know what to do. Money's been tight before, but I've been able to skip meals or cut out an expense and always buy cat food as soon as I get my paycheck. I love my cats more than anything and I feel so bad for letting my situation get to this point. Are there places I can go to that give out free cat food? I was wondering if any of you have been in this position before and had any advice?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you find yourself in this position. Are there any rescue centres near you that you can contact, there will be some volunteers there to look after the animals. Failing that, do you have neighbours that have cats that will lend you some food that you can replace once you have your paycheck

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have a regular vet? Our vet gives me the free samples of cat food they have for cats that need a special diet. You could ask them if they would let you have a few packets.

You could also ask food banks, shelters (for homeless people as well as shelters for animals) friends, neighbours, church groups etc.

A lot of pet food companies will give free samples, but it takes a while for the food to come.

Where are you located?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I own two cats, and normally feed them a mix of wet and dry food. Unfortunately, I had an unexpected medical emergency, and my bank account now is basically completely empty. My paycheck doesn't come until next Friday, and I have maybe 1-2 days supply of dry food left and almost no wet food. This has never happened before and I honestly don't know what to do. Money's been tight before, but I've been able to skip meals or cut out an expense and always buy cat food as soon as I get my paycheck. I love my cats more than anything and I feel so bad for letting my situation get to this point. Are there places I can go to that give out free cat food? I was wondering if any of you have been in this position before and had any advice?
I am sorry, hugs.:alright:
I think a lot rescue groups and shelters offer help with cat and dog food and other furry critters food…meals on wheels does and seniors can get help as well on a regular basis. Here is an article.
Struggling to Afford Your Pet? Learn How to Get Free Dog and Cat Food

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. You are not alone in this. The above suggestions are all good ones. For right this moment , do you have anything like white rice? You can stretch the food you have by using filler. Cooked white rice can be added for now. If you have a can of plain (no spices) chicken or tuna in water, you can warm that with the rice. Add that to their food to make it all last longer (Dollar stores often have both for very little money and I have even had Dollar Store employees donate things when a friend told them about the feral colony here) . I have used that food mix for very large feral colonies until I could make other arrangements. If you look at pet food ingredients on cans or bags you may see other things added that you may have in your cabinet. There are animal food banks in some places. You can try your local Humane Society and if they don’t know, ask if they know who else you can call. If you can find a Barn Cat program, they often have food on hand. Please keep us updated. :hugs:

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can cut back a little on how much you feed your cats to stretch out your food. Having a little less to eat each day won’t hurt them and will give you more time to put a solution in place. Better than running out of food early and having them go without for a longer period.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry you're going through this and hope the medical emergency has been resolved.

All these suggestions are good -- it's really worth checking food kitchens. Buy Nothing is a really good idea if you're involved with yours or can get involved; our local group has helped out a lot of people this winter.

As for ways to buy cheaply, Jcatbird Jcatbird 's mention of dollar stores reminded me that I've sometimes seen large cans of food in dollar stores at low prices... And Walmart sells large cans (22 ounces) of Special Kitty for under $2. If you can find a few large cans of food and a small bag of food at a dollar store or Walmart that might get you by until you're paid next week.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
T TheFitStrawberry I hope you're hanging in there.
Along with the suggestions above, you could contact places like Dollar General or Walmart and ask if they have any cans that are dented or bags that got ripped open in transit that can't be sold. As mister obama mister obama mentioned, canned dog food mixed in for a few days won't hurt them.

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is a few days old , I hope all is well. I know many of the rescues in our state act as food banks for pets, which I LOVE. Hopefully you are able to reach out to them. Another option , do you have any community Facebook groups you are part of, you could try that route. I have seen people put out requests from food, to help moving furniture and I am always impressed on the people coming together to help. I live in a city and I swear most people stick to themselves but they step up when needed.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any news on if any of the suggestions worked out?