I don't get it - how is this possible?

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I posted just recently that we adopted 2 new kittens, and we have 2 resident cats here already. They aren't even home yet, they are holding them at the shelter while we get the "safe room" ready. I've already posted asking for advise on how to prepare for the intro because, to be quite honest, that's the most stressful part of the whole process to me.

Anyway, I have an observation: at the shelter that we volunteer at, they post message when the cats get adopted. And over the past couple of days, we've been lucky enough to see pictures of the adopted cats in their new homes! Here's the kicker: the adopted cat (or kitten) is shown with the caption "With her new brother/sister!" -- the VERY SAME day that they were adopted, if not the next day. I know, because I personally SAW the cat or kitten on the previous day when I was at the shelter - and then the posted pictures the next day of how they are doing so well in their new home, alongside other cat or cat(s).

So what's the deal? Does it really go that easily in some cases??

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It can. We had two older cat’s in our home (male and female) when we adopted another older cat (female). It’s been over a year and to this day the two females don’t get along. But they basically stay away from each other.

we adopted 2 male kittens back in July and it went well with everyone. We just basically let them have the run of the house and the 3 adults just hissed for 2 days and we’re done with it.

then we just adopted another 2 kittens in oct, male and female. Again same thing, cats hissed for 2 days and then were done with it.

it’s entirely up to you on how you want to introduce your cats. It’s a good thing you’re adopting two at a time so that they have a little buddy to help them get situated. I know they suggest keeping cats separate for up to a month in a “safe room” and slowly introduce them. But we got lucky.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
a good example is my cat maggie( just posted about her) . I had her for 4 yrs before I rescued Coco, a year younger. Coco is now part of the family of 3 cats . Maggie is very territorial, so she did not like Coco taking her play mate and bed. Peaches,year older than Maggie is very sociable. When I rescued her, 5 weeks old, I had Josie,10 yrs old. They became bff though it took Josie a couple of days to accept her.

so, kittens are usually ok together. Their true personality has not shown yet. Though,are the kittens timid? Coco is still afraid of Maggie. Coco has never hissed or growled. Instead, runs away from her.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My story is almost the same. I adopted Mingo first, and a year later, Lily. Mingo was fascinated when I brought Lily in in her carrier, sniffing it all the way. I locked her up in the safe room, and Mingo plopped down in front of the door and did not leave until I let her out a week later. I had planned on at least two weeks of separation, but they were reacting to each other so well, I let Lily out earlier. Mingo was thrilled to have a new playmate, and the two of them have been constant companions ever since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kittens are not timid by any stretch - when we go visit them, they are practically climbing out of their cage to get at us and have us hold/hug them. Then when we let them run around in the playroom at the shelter (which we have done a few times) they are very playful and energetic, not scared or hiding.

I have certainly heard of my own share of "easy intros" from friends, in addition to seeing it mentioned on shelter posts. I guess it really does depend on a ton of factors - but I'm trying to get ready for all possibilities (short vs. long intro)

"May the odds be ever in my favor" -- (Hunger Games, anyone?) LOL.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So I posted just recently that we adopted 2 new kittens, and we have 2 resident cats here already. They aren't even home yet, they are holding them at the shelter while we get the "safe room" ready. I've already posted asking for advise on how to prepare for the intro because, to be quite honest, that's the most stressful part of the whole process to me.

Anyway, I have an observation: at the shelter that we volunteer at, they post message when the cats get adopted. And over the past couple of days, we've been lucky enough to see pictures of the adopted cats in their new homes! Here's the kicker: the adopted cat (or kitten) is shown with the caption "With her new brother/sister!" -- the VERY SAME day that they were adopted, if not the next day. I know, because I personally SAW the cat or kitten on the previous day when I was at the shelter - and then the posted pictures the next day of how they are doing so well in their new home, alongside other cat or cat(s).

So what's the deal? Does it really go that easily in some cases??
May I add it is great that you adopted 2 kittens. Since I have 3, one is left out

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens are not timid by any stretch - when we go visit them, they are practically climbing out of their cage to get at us and have us hold/hug them. Then when we let them run around in the playroom at the shelter (which we have done a few times) they are very playful and energetic, not scared or hiding.

I have certainly heard of my own share of "easy intros" from friends, in addition to seeing it mentioned on shelter posts. I guess it really does depend on a ton of factors - but I'm trying to get ready for all possibilities (short vs. long intro)

"May the odds be ever in my favor" -- (Hunger Games, anyone?) LOL.
It sounds like you wouldn’t have to worry about the kittens stress level of an introduction, but your current cat residents stress level. The kittens will do fine, especially since you’re taking them both.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That can happen. We recently adopted out a young adult cat that was put in a safe room to be gradually introduced to his new "brother", another young adult. Snow managed to open the door - something he'd also done at the shelter- and they found the two cats snuggled up together when they got up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you wouldn’t have to worry about the kittens stress level of an introduction, but your current cat residents stress level. The kittens will do fine, especially since you’re taking them both.
Yeah, they are a bonded pair so they come together!

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’d just be careful bc really you should give kittens a quarantine period to make sure they aren’t bringing parasites/virus etc home to your resident cats.
When I brought our second home he’d just had his neuter surgery and was only 9 weeks, so even though our resident cat was 5 months a still a kitten herself, I still kept new kitten in his safe room for a week. He needed time to recover and adjust. And I didn’t want both of them to wind up with a URI.
But as far as getting along I probably could have let them meet right away. I think it was still good to do the site swapping and all that first. But after a week they were like, just let me plaaayyyyyyyyy!
:)
Good luck!

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’d just be careful bc really you should give kittens a quarantine period to make sure they aren’t bringing parasites/virus etc home to your resident cats.
When I brought our second home he’d just had his neuter surgery and was only 9 weeks, so even though our resident cat was 5 months a still a kitten herself, I still kept new kitten in his safe room for a week. He needed time to recover and adjust. And I didn’t want both of them to wind up with a URI.
But as far as getting along I probably could have let them meet right away. I think it was still good to do the site swapping and all that first. But after a week they were like, just let me plaaayyyyyyyyy!
:)
Good luck!
that’s actually smart. I adopted two kittens back in July and one had roundworms. So EVERYONE had to be treated. then we just adopted two more kittens in October, and one had ringworm. So again, EVERYONE had to be treated.

My fiancé and I aren’t good at keeping cats separated though. They all hover at the door and cry trying to get in or out.

but thankfully everyone is healthy now.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
You never know! We had two cats, boy and girl siblings, and introduced a third cat, another male. We didn't know anything about safe rooms and introductions back then, so we just brought Ozzy in where the others were and watched to see what would happen. Luckily for us, Ozzy was the most zen cat to ever be born. He let the others cats sniff and hiss but he didn't react back. In a day or two, even the hissing was over with and that was that, they became the 3 Amigos you see in my avatar.

On the other hand...several years later, we had an elder cat, a cranky old female, we tried to introduce to the 3 Amigos and it took almost three years for them to all tolerate each other enough that we could leave them alone together.

I sincerely hope for something closer to the first scenario for your introduction process!! :) :vibes::vibes::vibes: