I Couldn't Bear To Post This When It Happened

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been grieving all summer.

Quill passed over the Bridge in early June, after the final stages of CKD had taken its toll on him. And it was the saddest, darkest day of my life. He was acting fine that morning until he pushed too hard, I guess. We found him collapsed, unable to walk, on the landing leading from the basement where we kept his litter box and I knew it was his time. I scooped him up in my arms, and with it being Sunday and my vet being closed, we could either go to Emergency across the city or just let him go where he would be comfortable.

So, we chose to part ways.

I was with him all day long, gave him all of my thanks and love, sang to him, and watched as his beautiful, soft golden eyes darkened and his breathing became shallow. At 7 PM, I placed my hand over his heart and felt it stop. I've never felt anything like it - a life so filled with love and happiness just suddenly stop. It was extraordinary, and I felt relieved that Quill didn't have to suffer any longer. It was an honour to be with him while he left our world.

Goodbye Little Soul. I will always love you, sweet boy <3

This is the last photo I took of him, about a week before he died. Time has passed by, and I've been blessed with a beautiful black kitten named Frankie. I think Quill had a part in helping me find him.

D11E2EFF-E65D-4754-BE79-D762C0ECD039.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Quill, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

What a gentle passing you gave your Grand Old Man. You were with him every step of the way, and when that gate between This Adventure and the Next Great Adventure opened, your love went with him to light is way. And now, from that Place Where All Things Are Known, he keeps watch, and sent little Frankie to be the physical cat in your life until you and Quill are reunited again.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, you were fortunate to have those final hours together... to this day, I don't know what happened to my cat Sage, whether he was taken by a predator or simply went off to die alone. Neither scenario brings good thoughts to mind... how I wish I had been able to share his final hours, or even know what happened to him on the last night of April. Since his disappearance, I've rescued three cats, that's how many it has taken to alleviate the pain and sadness. :(

Life goes on with the new cats... don't know what I'd do without them and Crackhead to keep me company. :runningcat:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
That was such a touching story, I am glad that he didn't suffer or linger on long, he made the decision for you and passed in the home that he loved. He was gorgeous....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, you will meet again one day and it will be wonderful. I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quill was a very fortunate ole gentleman kitty to have you with him as he crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. I would doubt very many cats have such a peaceful passing as this. It is easy to tell he took a part of your heart with him on his journey. Hopefully, Frankie will be more than able to restore your happiness. He does have some mighty big paw prints to fill though...God bless you both.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To die at home, surrounded by the love he always found there, is the choice that beautiful boy made, and you granted him his wish. There is no choice in dying, none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow, but to be able to choose to do it at home, and with the one he loved, is an end we all would wish for.
Celebrate his beautiful, loving life. Try not to dwell on the sad end, it changes nothing and only brings heartache. He would never want that for you, just as you would never want it for him if you were the first to go.
There is no way to prepare your heart for the emptiness that comes with his passing, of both home and soul. To fill it by spreading his love to another little soul is a fitting tribute to his legacy, and helps to hold back those painful thoughts of his passing. Life is meant to be lived, filled with joy and happiness. And although we have these painful, agonizing times of grief, they allow us to fully appreciate love when it comes. You can't experience the highest highs of love without going through the lowest lows to receive it's fullest benefit. To learn to be thankful and be able to fully open yourself to all it's glory.....
My heart goes out to you, I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for bringing Quill's tribute to our site, wher he will be honored by many as he so truly desreves. He was a good, sweet boy, and will be with you in spirit for eternity. That is love.....RIP dear Quill. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a special place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not know Quill personally, but your short yet beautiful tribute of him is enough for me to shed tears. Allow me to extend my deepest sympathy over your loss. My thoughts are with you.

Beautiful boy Quill, you have touched the lives of the people you loved, including here at TCS. Your passing is a poignant reminder that we should celebrate our everyday lives with those we love and let them feel how they mean to us while on earth. It makes me want to rush home and just hold my cats for hours and let them know that I love them to the core of my being, and no matter what happens, I will always love them even beyond space or time.

It is ok, Quill. You can rest now. You have beautifully earned your wings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My deepest thanks to everyone - I definitely felt the emptiness and loneliness that not having a furkid around does. I have had Frankie for less than a week and we are slowly learning. I have never raised a kitten in my life, and it's been a huge change of pace, keeping up with his antics and teaching him to be a cat - I am going to be on here far more often now. I know in time I will love Frankie as much as I did Quill, and we'll share our lives together no matter what.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you've never raised a kitten before welcome to the mad house :biggrin: They have a way of making you laugh even when they're up to no good You'll find you do love him just as much but for a bunch of different reasons, It sneaks up on you and before you know it your totally besotted.