I Could Really Use Some Advice.

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I posted a while back about wanting to make a career change. At the time, I was considering medical transcription, but I decided that it might not be a good idea, since transcriptionists don't seem to be in very high demand. I received a lot of discouraging comments that made me think twice. I am now seriously considering a medical coding program.

As I have previously mentioned, I do have a degree in education, but I discovered (too late) that teaching full-time just isn't for me ,and subbing does not pay the bills. I have never worked as a full-time teacher, but I have had many, many long-term substitute assignments over the past several years (one of them was six months), and with every one of them, I was very stressed out and would come home crying some nights. I am much happier doing short-term sub jobs and have developed wonderful relationships with the students and teachers at the schools where I work, but it just doesn't pay enough. I am living with my mother to stay afloat. I don't want to make everything about money, but I am over 40 years old and have nothing saved for retirement, which is starting to scare me.

When the Obamacare legislation passed a couple of years ago, the school district let subs know that they would only be allowed to work 16 days per month. It had something to do with not wanting to have to provide insurance. As a certified teacher, I only make $80.00 per day. My teaching certificate expires in May, and if I choose to not renew it, my pay will drop to $70.00 per day. I figure now is as good a time as any to finally make a decision to do something else with my life.

I realize that medical coding will probably not pay as much as a full-time teaching job would, but I am looking for something that will allow me to get trained fairly quickly, and medical coding seems to fit the bill. I am not getting any younger and don't have the time or money to get another college degree. Also, I could potentially work from home, which is an intriguing idea. Additionally, having benefits and medical insurance would be nice. I might be crazy (and wrong), but coding kind of seems interesting. It is like learning another language.

I have discovered online a medical coding program at a local community college that starts in May 2018 and lasts for about 40-42 weeks. It is specifically for coding, not for billing, which if I am not mistaken, are two separate things. I would rather just do coding. At the end of the program, I would be able to take a certification exam.

So, what are your thoughts? Is it a good idea, or am I wasting my time and and should try to do something else? Should I instead find a program that offers coding AND billing--not just coding? For those of you that have been able to find a job in this field, how difficult was it to land a job? Do you enjoy it? Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. I tried asking my cats for advice, but they weren't much help.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had friends who tried the medical coding thing but none of them even finished the course. I'm not sure there's a demand for the skill, and the work at home idea is mostly just a come-on because very few jobs like that are done from home. I'd ask around at places where medical coders are working and see what the job market really is. I'm afraid you'll find slim pickings. The enticement of a medical coding job has been around for years.

There are a lot of work at home scams that promise a certification. People pay a lot of money for training for jobs that don't exist.

Please do a lot of homework before you commit.

Have you thought of getting a vet tech certification? I don't know what the pay would be, though. Data entry might be mind-numbing, but it seems to pay enough.

I don't know where in Texas you are, but you might check with Texas Workforce. They sometimes offer free training in needed skills.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for responding! I live in the DFW area. The course is at Tarrant County College, and the exam is taken on the last day of class, so it is fortunately not a scam. As far as the prospects of finding work after I complete the training, I agree that is something I need to consider. I'm not sure about being a vet tech. I am deathly afraid of most dogs. The data entry could be a possibility, I suppose. Why didn't your friends finish the course? Was it too difficult, or did they just not like it?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went through a medical billing and coding course. I work in billing because that is the job I could get when I finished. I work for a company that is actually now international and focuses on first responders and emergency response in general. I do billing for fire department ambulance service and have worked on billing for several large cities in the U.S.

I actually did work from home for several years. There are still people working from home. There was issues with my system on the server. I started several tickets to try to get it fixed. The office had moved to a very short distance from where I live and I gave up on it and went back into the office to work.

The pay isn't great. It's enough for someone to support just themself but that is about it. I am able to live decently with some disposable income but there is no getting wealthy in this field at least as a worker bee.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I realize that coding and transcriptions are not the same as what I'm going to suggest, but, maybe teaching a CPR class. If you're interested in medical, then combine the two.
Or, were you looking to work from home?