I Clipped My Kittens Nails

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it was a stuggle but i we did it. i have 3 kittens 7 months of age. and i had decided i had taken enough scratches to the leg, neck, arm, and many other body parts. so it was time.

holding the kittens down was not easy, but i did it. boy did they ever get upset at me (kittens -->
). when i first started i only did the front 4 claws of each kitten. then i went and did the back ones. next time i'll do both sides at once. i think it'll be easier that way.

i found that they put up a struggle for a little then surrendered. i cut their claws so fast i was afraid i might cut the 'quick', but i didn't.

the funny thing about it was that after i was done and i gave them their treats they seemed to 'forget' anything even happened. they were all cuddly and affectionate? maybe they were just so relieved that they were all done that they were happy again.

so now when they scratch my legs or paw me there is NO PAIN. much MUCH better i say. and their still having fun as usual.

just thought i'd brag

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by DreamingRecover

i found that they put up a struggle for a little then surrendered. i cut their claws so fast i was afraid i might cut the 'quick', but i didn't.

the funny thing about it was that after i was done and i gave them their treats they seemed to 'forget' anything even happened. they were all cuddly and affectionate? maybe they were just so relieved that they were all done that they were happy again.

so now when they scratch my legs or paw me there is NO PAIN. much MUCH better i say. and their still having fun as usual.

just thought i'd brag
Congratulations. I have to have my husband help me with the back claws. And there are sometimes where I get one paw a day done.

And trimmed claws are alot easier on the skin.

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have given me hope. I am going to attempt it today and I am expecting a major hissy fit. But her claws are getting to the point where I get scratched by her even when she isn't trying to scratch. And it hurts! If I have hands left to type I will let you know how it goes...

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forget-Me-Not

You have given me hope. I am going to attempt it today and I am expecting a major hissy fit. But her claws are getting to the point where I get scratched by her even when she isn't trying to scratch. And it hurts! If I have hands left to type I will let you know how it goes...
Remember to relax and just try a couple. If she gets upset, give her a treat and wait a little while. This is what I have to do with Lucy because she actually knocks the clippers out of my hand. Also see if you can approach her when she is napping or resting.

Good luck and I'll send you some anti-scratch vibes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forget-Me-Not

my cats had hissy fits. they struggled so much i though i would break their legs trying to keep them down. plus i got a huge scratch from dreamer, who growled, hissed, scratched and bit at me. but it's worth the month or two of scratch-free living. just takes 1min max per cat.

and do let us know how it goes. you'll be fine.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have FIVE claws in the front - not 4 - did you get the higher up one (thumb)? If not, you better clip - they can grow into the pad.

I've trimmed nails from 3-4 weeks old to get them used to it. And I'd also start a routine on your cats of checking and clipping as needed once a week - then they will not give you a hard time about it.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

And I'd also start a routine on your cats of checking and clipping as needed once a week - then they will not give you a hard time about it.
I agree, I play with my cats paws almost everytime they are in my lap. It makes clipping them much easier, also try clipping while they are sleepy.

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Cats have FIVE claws in the front - not 4 - did you get the higher up one (thumb)? If not, you better clip - they can grow into the pad.
i know about the fifth, but i didnt wanna attempt it this time. i'll try next time.

I've trimmed nails from 3-4 weeks old to get them used to it. And I'd also start a routine on your cats of checking and clipping as needed once a week - then they will not give you a hard time about it.
i wish i had done this. my kittens are about 7 months old. and have only been done once at the vets and once by me. i hope there's still time.

Originally Posted by missymotus

I agree, I play with my cats paws almost everytime they are in my lap. It makes clipping them much easier, also try clipping while they are sleepy.
they dont like when i play with their feet, but i have been doing it a little. i touch their feet then i pet then right away after. this is how i got them used to me kissing them on the forehead, cus i like to give my kitties kisses.

thanks for all the suggestions guys

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not too late to start a routine. And if you check and clip as needed, not ALL the nails will need clipping. Remember YOU are the boss - not the cat - YOU chose when to stop

Most times they complain the entire time and I tell them "yeah,. yeah, shut up and sit still and it will be over soon"

But I had ONE cat that was totally goofy - he would actually purr the entire time you clipped his nails!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most times they complain the entire time and I tell them "yeah,. yeah, shut up and sit still and it will be over soon"
LOL!!! And here I thought I was the only one saying that.LOL!!
I have my 16 year old DD hold the cats/kits while I cut their nails.

tagsmom899301

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have clipped Jelly's claws twice now since I't gotten him. He isn't thrilled with it but he tolerates my doing them. My vet had recommended wrapping him up in a towel to do it (luckily I don't need to).
On a side note: do you have to clip the back claws? I had read that a cat will bite them so you don't have to. Should I be clipping his back ones as well?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes - clip the back ones too during the nail clipping time. Back ones don't grow as fast, but they are used more for fighting and if you've EVER had a cat launch itself from you they push with the back feet - and if nails are not trimmed, you can get some nasty scratches!

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cutting my Spliff's nails isn't that bad at all. I usually catch him mid-nap (Mean mum that I am, LOL) and he has no problems with the front ones. I Have to have my BF hold him in order to get the back ones. He shakes and kicks those little kitty legs so hard to avoid the clippers, hehe. After a few nails he just gives in. It's so cute, he gives this little "SIGH" noise out and pouts. But he always gets catnip when it's over, so all is forgiven!

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At the shelter, Harriet was never a problem to trim, but at home, she's a real butt about. I can do two nails, then run then when she passes out again I use my ninja skillz and cut one or two more.

Dang cat. She's all scary when she yowling and hissing and striking. Freaks me out.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!!! Good for you! It gets easier over time as you find better ways to hold them. What I do is cut their nails when they are laying down on the couch or bed. I go over and stoop over them and literally hug them to me while I hold their front paws in one hand and the nail clippers in the other.

Chynna loves having her nails cut. Abby isn't so gung ho about it but she tolerates it.

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i just cut all three kittens claws again. i did EVERY claw this time. even the 'hidden' ones.
wow do they ever grow fast. its only been 1 1/2 weeks!
this time they were sooooo much more co-operative. i think when they know that they're completely helpless against escaping it they just kinda surrender and let you do it.

the way i do it that works for me is:

Front claws
1. hold the clippers in my right hand and use my right forearm to pin their head against the bed to keep them from biting and squirming away.
2. use my left forearm to hold the back feet in place and my left hand to grab the paws and squeeze to retract them for cutting.
3. I flip the cat over to do the other paw.

the back paws are done with the same concept. i make sure to NEVER let the cat get away!!! once they find out they can escape somehow they'll try hard to escape each time. secureness is key. and yes, they don't like it, but it's only a minute, and once it's over they get a special treat and petting and they are instantly happy again.

i'm thinking about giving my cats a bath next. but thats a whole new world.
i'll make a seperate thread for that one.

and the

lunchbox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have the money Petco can do it for 8 bucks. And you don't even get clawed. Just think you could spend that on band-aid and a claw bleeding stick for the cat
That and every time you bring the cat into the vet ask the vet if they can just do a quick clip while you are there

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We regularly clip our 2. We also started playing with their paws when they were babies and now we have no problems clipping. They don't like it but they are well-behaved and tolerate it very well.

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I stated clipping gizmo's nails when he was about 4 months. He fought me the first couple times but by the 3rd time he just sat quietly in my lap and I was not only able to cut the fronts but the back ones as well.
I found that if I wrapped him up in a towel that helps. I guess it's a comfort thing. He's now 6 1/2 months and is totally use to getting his nails trimmed.