I cant think of a meal plan under 75-80 fir 14 days

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't think of a meal plan to eat for supper :( I know what I am eating for breakfast and lunch but not supper . I plan to shop for 2 weeks and stay hidden from the world for 2 weeks yup

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no good at meal plans. However, I do pick something to make in my slow cooker, which tends to last a good three days. I'm making taco meat in it tomorrow.

Do you have a slow cooker?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have a slow cooker

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just introduced my kids to instant mashed potatoes with ground beef in gravy. They loved it. I grew up eating that and really prefer real mashed potatoes. It turned out to be a quick, simple and comforting meal for us all.

I'm making pasta with meat sauce this week. I have a bone-in chicken breast to do also. And chicken tenderloins. The changing meat availability has forced me to be creative. Normally we don't eat much red meat anymore.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you like soups?

I've been making a lot of soup in batches and freezing. Cheap, nutritious and easy.

Root vegetables also keep a lot longer in the fridge. Eggs too.

There is nothing wrong with having a fancy omelette for dinner. Break the rules!!! Omelettes are not just for breakfast. :cool:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zucchinis also keep well in the fridge fyi! Great for a fresh veggie option.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fried rice! :D

2 Cups of rice.
1/2 of an onion. (diced)
2 carrots. (diced)
1 cup of frozen peas.
2 eggs.
2 Tbl. Soy sauce.
1 Tbl. Oyster sauce. (optional)
2 Tbl. Butter.

Cook 2 cups of rice. Let cool COMPLETELY in the refrigerator. (Overnight is best.)
Sauté veggies with 1 Tbl. butter in large skillet. Empty into bowl and set aside.
Melt 1 Tbl. butter in same skillet.
Loosely scramble the eggs in the butter. Don't cook completely. Let the eggs stay a little bit runny.
Pour in the cold rice and stir together with the eggs.
Stir in the cooked veggies.
Stir in soy sauce and optional oyster sauce.
Mix well and heat through.
Ready to serve.

Here are the secrets to good fried rice:
1) You MUST use cold rice! The moisture needs to absorb completely into the rice. Warm rice won't work Day old, leftover rice works best.
2) Don't let the eggs cook completely. If you cook them all the way through, the eggs can't absorb into the rice and the flavor of the eggs won't absorb into the rice. Cook the eggs about half way through or, maybe three-fourths.
3) Use BUTTER! Don't use canola or olive oil. It will burn and leave a bad taste.
4) Get the skillet HOT! You want the rice to steam quickly. A hot skillet makes steam and lets the flavors blend.
5) If you want authentic Chinese restaurant flavor, add 1 Tbl. of oyster sauce along with the soy sauce but if you are a Kosher cook, leave it out. (Contains shellfish.)

You can store leftover fried rice in the fridge. Reheat in a skillet. If reheated in the microwave, add a teaspoon full of water place a wet paper towel over the bowl.

You can also add whatever leftovers you have in the fridge. Dice some leftover chicken and stir it in after the veggies.

Fried rice is basically a "what's in the fridge" kind of a recipe. It's a great way to use up some of those leftovers and stretch your food budget at the same time.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of stuff do you like? How many people are you cooking for? It seems like it is only you, so I am going to give ideas based on that assumption.

Your shopping list (assuming you have staples on hand): 2-3 cans chickpeas, 1 container frozen spinach, 1 bag carrots, 2 cans coconut milk, potatoes, 1 lb sausage, chicken breasts (a bag of frozen), a lime, turmeric, mushrooms, 2 onions, a red/green/orange pepper, bag of frozen peas, pasta (bowtie would be my preference), salad stuff, and sumac

Ideas for dinners dinners (Modify each recipe to fit what you have and what you need.):
Moroccan Chickpea and Spinach soup
African Chicken Curry with rice (I leave out the tomatoes due to allergies and add chickpeas for fun and to use less chicken. I also make flatbread with it.)
Tom Kha Gai
Root vegetable and sausage hash
Zuppa Toscana
Pierogi Pizza (flatbread with a garlic sour cream sauce, sliced potatoes, sauteed onions, and cheddar cheese)
Chicken Florentine with salad
Chicken and sausage "jambalaya" (make extra rice for the next day)
Chicken fried rice (Best made with leftover rice, or, at the very least, cold rice) with carrots and peas
Chickpea stew with spinach
Spinach stuffed chicken breast with baked potato and roasted honey carrots
Pasta with mushroom cream sauce (I make with milk, not cream)
Sumac chicken (a variation of musakhan) with a salad *fattoush sans tomatoes is a favorite to serve with sumac chicken
Grilled chicken with mint buttered peas and cottage potatoes

I just introduced my kids to instant mashed potatoes with ground beef in gravy.
I grew up what we called "slightly uncomfortably poor." Your instant potatoes and gravy reminded me of a weird dinner we would have sometimes: Chunky soup on rice. When my parents had to go to the food bank, sometimes there was Campbell's Chunky soup. Usually one or two cans of beef and vegetable, which was not exactly enough to feed a family of six. My mother would make white rice and we would pour the soup on top. I remember liking it a great deal.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up what we called "slightly uncomfortably poor." Your instant potatoes and gravy reminded me of a weird dinner we would have sometimes: Chunky soup on rice. When my parents had to go to the food bank, sometimes there was Campbell's Chunky soup. Usually one or two cans of beef and vegetable, which was not exactly enough to feed a family of six. My mother would make white rice and we would pour the soup on top. I remember liking it a great deal.
I've had those over the mashed potatoes too. We also used to cook chicken in the condensed cream soups and put it over rice.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's ideas here: