I can’t tell the gender of my kittens.

Lainee95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had a litter of three kittens. And my vet appointment isn’t for a while. I tried to figure it out based on google images. But I’d like to have some idea of what to prepare for. And who to separate until I can get them fixed. The black and white one is hard to see. That one is quite finicky. Cat 1: gray, Cat 2: striped tabby, Cat 3: black and white. Hopefully this doesn’t get taken down I genuinely need to know for their care
3442F859-AAC0-44A3-AD94-AADE662FA480.jpeg
3F7C7977-295E-4A56-84B9-898761FF44AC.jpeg
0BF6A4D2-39F5-4B38-990C-DC60808997A2.jpeg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
First two are boys, and I’d hazard a guess that the last is a boy, as well, though more pictures would be helpful :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lainee95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First two are boys, and I’d hazard a guess that the last is a boy, as well, though more pictures would be helpful :)
Thanks! I'm gonna try to get a better photo when my husband gets home later so he can help me take it.

Lainee95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
EDIT: The father of the kittens has not yet been neutered because the vet is so backed up on appointments. And he licks the first two, but the black and white one he tried mounting. He has since tried mounting the mother, but she's unable to have another litter due to complications from the birth. The only ones he mounts are the mother and that black and white one so that's why I was nervous it was a girl. He's been temporarily separated until he's fixed.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I sorta think the black and white is female, but it really is hard to tell from the photo. The kittens won't be able breed for a few months, so you don't need to separate them. Mom would be able to sooner if she heals. So it would be a good idea to keep mom and the kits away from dad in a month or so.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old are the kittens? Definitely separate the dad from the mom and kittens right away, and get him neutered first. It will still take him a few weeks to settle down, and 7-10 days after the neuter for his sperm to die out.

Have you called around to other vets and to your local ASPCA or Humane Society? Many of the non-profits such as these run spay/neuter clinics. You may want to stay with your current vet, but they can be spayed and neutered elsewhere - often for much cheaper at the local non-profits.

Lainee95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old are the kittens? Definitely separate the dad from the mom and kittens right away, and get him neutered first. It will still take him a few weeks to settle down, and 7-10 days after the neuter for his sperm to die out.

Have you called around to other vets and to your local ASPCA or Humane Society? Many of the non-profits such as these run spay/neuter clinics. You may want to stay with your current vet, but they can be spayed and neutered elsewhere - often for much cheaper at the local non-profits.
I called a huge list of places and every single one was either 1000 dollars or way booked up. And that’s five cats to get fixed and a lot of money. Or anything that accepted Friends of Animals was booked way up. I keep calling to see if they get any sooner openings. And a bunch of other places that are cheaper and work with people. But no luck so far.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ask to be put on a cancellation list. You get called if they have an opening. Do you have an ASPCA or Humane Society?

Where are you located? City and state. I’ll check for you.

At the very least, set appointments where you can use your vouchers, then use the appointments even if they are weeks away. Don’t just give up or you’ll be overrun with pregnant cats and kittens.

How old are the kittens?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the mother have a c-section/spay? If not, she most likely CAN get pregnant, even if she shouldn't, so be careful.

I can't tell about the black-and-white one either, but agree that the first 2 are boys.

If you can get on a cancellation list, have the females listed first. Boys can't get pregnant.

I once had a full cat family that had to be fixed and a low-cost spay/neuter appointment that was too far out, so the boys got to live in the basement and the girls got to be upstairs. So it can be done, it's just kind of a pain.