I can't stand the poo-poo-paws

satukitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please help! Our 10 week kittens have the clumsy tendencies to step RIGHT in their poop and prance around everywhere in our condo. My husband and I are obsessed with keeping their paws clean and do the "sniff" test literally every hour. We get so frustrated when they step in their poop. One kitty even gets all franctic and kicks the poo on her paws high in the air so that it lands on our walls.

Please...Help! Does anyone else have this problem and is it just a kitten thing?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the poo is solid, they shouldn't be having this problem. If its soft, there is a good chance they have worms. Have them checked by a vet. You might be wise to get the poop out almost as soon as they go to avoid some of the problems.

Also do you have enough litter in the pan? If not, that might be part of the problem.

Are they short or longhair kittys?

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 2 kittens that do this too.

At Petsmart they have this litterbox thats not your average litterbox. Heres the link, hope it works...
http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2047564&Ne=2
(if the link doesnt work, go to petsmart.com and go to the litterbox section and you will see a pic of it, its grey plastic, looks like a storage box and has the hole on the lid, on the top of the box.
This litterbox is pretty cool, i got two of them. Since the hole is on the top and there are grooves on the lid, it removes any litter or gunk that is on your kitties paws as they get out of the box, its helped me a lot, plus if you have a dog this box is very helpful too.
With this box the kittens cant mess up the walls that surrond the box, and they cant kick litter out while they exit or dig.

Also with young kittens i have found that just constantly cleaning the litterbox helps with the poo paws. If you scoop each time after the exit, then hopefully there wont be anything for them to step in when they have to go agian. Keep it clean all the time and their paws should be clean.

They do grow out of this and get neater as they get older.

Goodluck, its a bad problem to have, im a neat freak too and i had 7 little kittens running around spreading poop everywhere, ick.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really. I raised several litters of kittens and only when they first started climbing in/out of the pan did any step on it. They were pretty clean kittens.

They got a lot more messy when starting to eat solid canned food then litter box problems. IMO sounds like the kittens are have loose stools if its a constant problem of them stepping in it.

fefe76

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
one of my kittens had this issue tho now at nearly 4mnths old he has stopped ....i was the same, constantly checking for poo poo paws, even tho i cleaned the litter after every poo he did he pooped and just backed into it!!! LOL
anyway no more poop paw issues which is good as i have 3 kittens!and mr poopy paws sleeps on my pillow !

:-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

satukitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow...I feel a bit better after reading your posts and realizing that it could very well be a kitten thing. *sigh* they are such little trouble makers!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine used to do this, he's never had runny stools but it just took him a while to learn not to tread in it when he was making inept attempts at covering it.

In addition, he's a real digger and despite having a litter box big enough to bathe a child, he flings litter halfway across the room when he is burying. And I found a nugget of poo behind the door this morning, he had kicked it there while digging

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the diggers - try a covered litter pan - it may help with them getting too much litter outside the box....unless they figure out to dig where the opening is!

xerr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So now.. does anyone know why my kittens does not cover their poo? ( neither the pee)

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xerr

So now.. does anyone know why my kittens does not cover their poo? ( neither the pee)
Your kittens are absolutely adorable. I'm in love!

Some catts never cover and some can be encouraged to cover by taking a scoop when they finish and scraping some litter up over the poo.

1. Kittens are taught their bathroom behavior by their moms and if they were taken from mom to young then she didnt' have the chance to teach them.
2. Mom never learned about covering, so never taught the little ones.
3. Some will scratch everywhere around the litter, (walls, appliances, etc.) but never really throw litter over their poo.
4. Some cats are more fastidious than others and will instinctly cover, (which includes the mock covering of their food when done eating), and will always do a thorough job, whereas some are just a little slobby and their behavior won't change no matter what you try to teach them.

xerr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

Your kittens are absolutely adorable. I'm in love!

Some catts never cover and some can be encouraged to cover by taking a scoop when they finish and scraping some litter up over the poo.

1. Kittens are taught their bathroom behavior by their moms and if they were taken from mom to young then she didnt' have the chance to teach them.
2. Mom never learned about covering, so never taught the little ones.
3. Some will scratch everywhere around the litter, (walls, appliances, etc.) but never really throw litter over their poo.
4. Some cats are more fastidious than others and will instinctly cover, (which includes the mock covering of their food when done eating), and will always do a thorough job, whereas some are just a little slobby and their behavior won't change no matter what you try to teach them.
They were taken from their mom at 3 months old, and I tried to teach them by scooping some on their poo while they watch
... in vain I have to say ! It's 4 months now that I'm trying to teach them, they are really like stubborn children .

fefe76

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my kittens were a month old when i got all 3 and they all automatically always have covered their pee n poo, i was very impressed as they toilet trained within a day and have been really good about it all

heehee except for mr poo poo feet but that phase didnt last long (phew)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

satukitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel better knowing that this is just a kitten stage, but it is sure a lot of work checking their paws hourly. We are not equipped to spend a lot of money on a fancy litterbox which removes the poop. So we are just going to be very observant of their paws until they hopefully grow out of it!

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Had to have a giggle when I read this thread! My 6 month old kitten does exactly the same thing. He HONKS when he walks around with his smelly paws, so I bought some unscented baby wipes to wipe down his paws when it gets too much to bear

A litter tray that clears out the poop?????? Wow, we are behind the times here.. I have never heard of such a thing and would buy one in a heartbeat if I could!

smellypaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 10 week male kitten and his back feet always smell like poo! I cleaned them with kitten shampoo and there is no residue but the smell is ingrained in his fur and I can't get rid of it. Any ideas?

Last edited:

rockyjr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 13 week old kitten. He's constantly going in and out of his litter box and getting the poo poo paws.. My it's nearly a full time job watching the kitten to make sure my house isn't covered in you know what.. Also I read from a thread here, his stool is soft constantly.. We got him from a breeder so I'm not totally sure if he's got worms. We're going to get him to the vet tomorrow but gosh this is very hard.. What can I wash him with that is safe?? He always cleans him self after I rinse him with water which is 5-6 times a day!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
First: your kitten is seriously adorable!

It's good you're taking him to the vet who will hopefully know what to do about the soft poops. As far as cleaning dirty paws, I've seen wet wipes made specially for pets available at pet stores. You do need to be careful using human wipes as some contain toxic ingredients, like aloe vera. You could also clean his paws using wet paper towels and a dab of Dawn dishwashing detergent.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens do need to be dewormed, even if from a breeder. Is he a pedigreed cat? And are you sure he's 13 weeks? He looks very young.

kurbykat83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a cat from the Houston SPCA, this cat was given a second chance in life he had to have chest surgery sometime hit him with a blunt object..yes I know horrible..
Well I had him about a month now he was sick with a respiratory infection and got better..
He didn't cover his poop or pee..And he steps in his poop and it gets flung on the wall and paw poo prints everywhere! Sooo disgusting. Not sure of his age about a year or younger from what the vet said..
He didn't have solid poop and he press and poops more than me and my other cat put together! He has big paws and is fluffy so maybe he can't see where his poop is? When he uses the restroom he claws at the walls of the litter pan instead of covering the pool is try to help him cover it when he's in the box but I think he didn't get it[emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji]