I can't get the grease look off of my Persian cat

wiseidiot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got a new Persian kitten and have read all about degreasing and whatnot. However, I cannot get the greasy look off of the face and chest of my new kitty. I've tried everything. The rest of him is fine and fluffy. But the front is greasy and separated. This is my first Persian so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

happylitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know, it's hard to keep Persians clean. Mine gets feces stuck on the fur on his privates, has a white chest and front paws that always seem discolored from the wet canned food. No problem with greasy face. I try to wash his chest with soap and water and sometimes a little baking soda, AND I just bought him a baby bib to wear when he eats.

However, back to grease, my Maine Coon's fur on his back and close to his tail gets grease spikes that are very difficult to remove. However, I do use my fingers to untangle them when he's not realizing what I am doing. 

Both of my boys will be 13 at the end of this month. The Maine Coon has diabetes, but that's a story for another time.

Good luck wiseidiot, and let me know if you get some useful info, please.

happylitter

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What we always used to do at shows was (1) put a bib on the cat when he eats his wet food, and (2) use cornstarch as a cleaning agent afterwards.  You take a little plain cornstarch and work it into the dirty or greasy area and let it sit about five to ten minutes.  Then you comb it out, first with a round tooth small comb if there are any tangles, and then with a fine metal flea comb.  The corn starch will absorb the oil and make little balls that the comb will remove.  Keep pulling this sediment out of the flea comb and soon there will be none left on the cat.  Until the next time he licks himself.  And if you are about to go up in a ring in front of a judge, keep the bib on him until then.   Cornstarch works well on stud tail also.