I can't find a good storage bin to modify into a litterbox

Maisie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am absolutely losing my mind over litterboxes.

I need to find a suitable storage bin to convert into a litterbox for a large cat who pees sideways and very high.

I am currently using this FRISCO High Sided Cat Litter Box, Extra Large 24-in (Free Shipping) | Chewy, which is 10" high all around, (24x18x10) and he still pees over the sides regularly. I'm estimating that it would have to be at least 17 or 18" tall to prevent this.

I just bought a large 30 gal sterlite tote, but I'm afraid it won't work because
1. it does not have a flat surface on the bottom, it has ridges along the sides so it would be hard to scoop and
2. it is 30x20x17. the 17" height is good but the length/width is so large that I would have to use tons of litter and it would be extremely difficult for me to lift/clean with my bad back.

Ideally, I'd want
1. approximately 24" long, 18" wide, 17 or 18 high (no bigger or it will be too hard for me to lift)
2. totally box shaped, flat surface with no bends or ridges

But I have been searching for months everywhere - target, Walmart, various online sites, home improvement stores etc. and have been unable to find anything. They all have ridges on the bottom.

The only thing that comes close is a clear, flat bin from the Container Store that is about 23.5x18x19 and costs $45!

If you know of any *flat* storage bins that would be about 24x18x17 that would be way cheaper than $45, please let me know.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 hefty 18 inch high and a 27 inch long I got at the container store. I like that one because it's smooth at the bottom and side just more pricy. Bring measuring tape

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am just wondering if you would do better to get a huge box and set a litter box inside it. The litter would be in the actual litter box, and the outer box could contain puppy pee pads or washable rags to collect the pee when he goes over the side. That way the outer box wouldn't necessarily have to be smooth on the sides/bottom. It would also expand your search for a cheaper outside box. Picking up the inner box wouldn't be as bad, and the outer box would not contain enough weight to be worrisome for cleaning purposes.

As he ages, if the outer box is too high for him to get into/out of comfortably, one side could be cut lower to allow for easier access to the inner litter box. This would be particularly beneficial if your cat tends to pee on (or, rather over) one particular side of the box.

I personally think you will find a box of the type you are looking for to be expensive no matter where you search for it. I ended up getting Feeby a box that is 26" x 18" x 9" with an entire smooth inner surface for $50 (restaurant/food service container). It is just high enough to prevent her from peeing over the edge, and yet short enough for to still easily get in and out of (she's 17+ yo). I realize you are looking for one higher than that, and that is why I am suggesting to 'two box' approach.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can dedicate a container of some sort to scoop dirty litter out of the box into a trash bag when it's time for a deep clean. Maybe an empty quart sized yogurt container or something a little bigger (kid's sand pail?). Yes it'll be kind of a pain to scoop multiple times to get all the dirty litter out and will take time but at least you won't injure yourself trying to lift a heavy box.

If you buy buckets of litter, keep a separate container inside the bucket to use to scoop clean litter back into the box.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am using this type of box containers (the largest ones we saw at the store) because I find most litterboxes too small for my cats, but I kept the cover and my husband carved a hole large enough for my biggest cat to enter/exit on one side. Since it has wheels its not hard to move it around too. It is high enough for any of my cats to stand comfortably inside, and wide enough for them to move around as well.
CD400030-60C5-4803-A804-52B235CEB6A5.jpeg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wheels on storage containers aren't meant to hold up to the container holding heavy things inside such as a couple inches of cat litter. One could DIY a base with sturdy plywood or other material and sturdy wheels from the hardware store.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girl pees high because she can't always squat (she's 16 and the vet says she has some arthritis). She uses stairs to climb so I can't do a bigger box anyway. What has been saving us is basically contact paper and puppy pads. Our two litter boxes sit in front of the washer and dryer; each on the largest size of puppy pad. I also lined the wall and several inches of the floor with one sheet of contact paper so if she hits the wall; it runs to the puppy pad. She tends to go just over the edge so the lowest edge of the box is by the wall for now. That seems to discourage her from going on that side. I still have to clean the floor here and there; but not very often. It's very simple to just fold up a wet puppy pad compared to the mess we had before. Thankfully it isn't a constant thing for us.

I got the idea from someone else who had to do a box in a box for their senior cat who had similar issues and was peeing over the box often.

I also have used furniture sliders under some heavy things here and they make moving stuff so easy! My husband made big wooden lego trays for our kids to slide under their beds. They are heavy! So I added these: Super Sliders 3-1/2" Round Plastic Furniture Sliders Beige, 16 Pack - Walmart.com and they just glide in and out. You could put some under a litter box to help move it. When Mooch's box needs cleaning I let the litter get low for a few days to lighten it for lifting. Litter can be so heavy! I've considered keeping a small garden shovel to help take old litter out too. But just doing little things to lighten it has been enough to help me.

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After I have raised many many cats from my childhood, I just noticed most cats love a low height (low-medium depth) and wide width. Not all cat but most cats feel more comfortable to do a business on opened (without door, not enclosed) litter box. They put their paws outside of litter box and butt is on litter box)

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am using this type of box containers (the largest ones we saw at the store) because I find most litterboxes too small for my cats, but I kept the cover and my husband carved a hole large enough for my biggest cat to enter/exit on one side. Since it has wheels its not hard to move it around too. It is high enough for any of my cats to stand comfortably inside, and wide enough for them to move around as well.
View attachment 402001
This is too deep and cats will feel uncomfortable. Try 2-3 litter box to see which one your cat loves to do business. Lifetime business must be comfortable, no stress.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

I need to find a suitable storage bin to convert into a litterbox for a large cat who pees sideways and very high.

I am currently using this FRISCO High Sided Cat Litter Box, Extra Large 24-in (Free Shipping) | Chewy, which is 10" high all around, (24x18x10) and he still pees over the sides regularly. I'm estimating that it would have to be at least 17 or 18" tall to prevent this.

I just bought a large 30 gal sterlite tote, but I'm afraid it won't work because
1. it does not have a flat surface on the bottom, it has ridges along the sides so it would be hard to scoop and
2. it is 30x20x17. the 17" height is good but the length/width is so large that I would have to use tons of litter and it would be extremely difficult for me to lift/clean with my bad back.

Ideally, I'd want
1. approximately 24" long, 18" wide, 17 or 18 high (no bigger or it will be too hard for me to lift)

But I have been searching for months everywhere - target, Walmart, various online sites, home improvement stores etc. and have been unable to find anything. They all have ridges on the bottom.

The only thing that comes close is a clear, flat bin from the Container Store that is about 23.5x18x19 and costs $45!

If you know of any *flat* storage bins that would be about 24x18x17 that would be way cheaper than $45, please let me know.
Since you posted Nov 19 I have not been able to find one tall enough and smooth at the bottom. I do not thoroughly clean like most people. Tilt to one side,clean with a spray bottle , tilt to the other side. There are enzyme cleaners safe for cats. Your simply scooping out the old and putting in the new every day

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Ideally, I'd want

Closest I found: