I can't be the only one...

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have worked at 2 pet stores, and frequented many others. I just love animals, and learning.

I just found out recently (the pet store in our town just changed owners in the last few months) that our pet store was selling baby bunnies and Chicks (baby chikens) for easter!!! That shocks me. I think it is irresponsible of them. Those are inpulse buys, and the animals don't usually end up staying in the home. It's a recipe for broken hearts, and hurt animals IMO. It really bothered me. When I worked at that Pet store, as well as another one in a different town, they wouldn't sell bunnies or chicks, especially for easter gifts. One store I worked at (here in my town) refuses to sell kittens or puppies, we would send people to the shelter instead.

The store I worked at in the other town, did sell kittens, but they wouldn't let a black cat be sold in the month of October. There was a problem with black cats being killed on Halloween in that town (makes me so sick and sad) People can be so cruel.

I also had an issue with the new owners NOT giving information about the animals when they sell them. They recently sold my stepmom a reptile without telling her what kind of environment it needed. Turned out it didn't get along with the reptile she already had, and the environment was all wrong... So they sent the lizard to die for profit. It hurts my feelings.

When I worked their, it was our job to educate the customers about what they were buying, and how to care for them, as well as make sure they understand how to keep them alive and give them a good life. My husband said that it isn't pet stores responisbility to do that. I was shocked, we actually argued about it for a while, until I left the room. I feel the life of each of those animals in that store is precious, and to just let them leave the store without educating the new owners, is just horrible. How can a person let that happen? Sure they sell more animals after the ones they sell die because the people don't know how to care for it. Sheesh!!

Sorry... this really bothers me. It's understandable that not all animals bought from a pet store will survive, but to just let them leave without proper habitats, or educating the new owners causes suffering to the poor little animals, and the kids who's pet dies from improper care. Maybe I am too much of a bleeding heart (as my friends call me). But I just dont get it.

Please tell me I am not the only one who thinks that it is the pet store's responsibility to educate about the animal being sold before it leaves the store. I know I'm a bit off... but we are talking about LIFE...

Thank you

be safe.

horseygal90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most definitely; a pet is for life no matter if it's a horse, or a hamster.

Over here we recently had a bit of a hoohar about someone who told a 15 year old she couldn't buy a hamster; it went to the paper but the shop owner was perfectly legal in refusing the sale because the law states that you have to be over 16 to buy a live animal. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing that upped to 18... But it still wouldn't stop the irresponsible pet owners out there

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by horseygal90

Most definitely; a pet is for life no matter if it's a horse, or a hamster.

Over here we recently had a bit of a hoohar about someone who told a 15 year old she couldn't buy a hamster; it went to the paper but the shop owner was perfectly legal in refusing the sale because the law states that you have to be over 16 to buy a live animal. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing that upped to 18... But it still wouldn't stop the irresponsible pet owners out there
The pet store here, when I worked there, had a policy to NOT sell to anyone under18 without the parents with them. They had a problem (the owner before the owner I worked with) with kids buying animals and then parents making them take them back. I think 18 is a good age... not that 18 yr olds are responsible or anything, but they can have their own place. It really is up to the parents, especially when it is their house!!

Thank you...

Be safe.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow that is so sad (about the chicks and bunnies and the general policy)! I knew it still existed - but not around here. The pet store that was in the mall that sold puppies and kittens got run out of there.... almost all the local pet stores around here have followed in PetSmart's footsteps and have an area where they feature shelter cats and dogs, with a shelter rep present.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyRage

I also had an issue with the new owners NOT giving information about the animals when they sell them. They recently sold my stepmom a reptile without telling her what kind of environment it needed. Turned out it didn't get along with the reptile she already had, and the environment was all wrong... So they sent the lizard to die for profit. It hurts my feelings.
Most reptiles are not social at all. Your stepmother should have known this if she already had one and knew better. Aside from that, it is recommended that you don't put new reptiles together (say for breeding) or their cages near each other until a proper quarantine - accepted length is 90 days. (and in the case of bearded dragons, you test for adenovirus before breeding because it is sexually transmitted and does terrible things to baby dragons) And never mix species. Only very experienced herp keepers can do this as it is hard to do correctly.

I don't like petstores at all. I have yet to see one that isn't doing something drastically wrong - whether that be keeping an animal in the wrong size cage (too small), at the wrong temperature (which can mean death for reptiles), on deadly substrates, crammed in with others of vastly difference species, sick lizards and snakes, etc.
I've seen birds with open sores and growths, grossly over grown claws and beaks, sitting in their own filth. Rodents get abused in all sorts of ways because no one cares about them either. But this is all ok because a store doesn't sell "puppies or kittens".

If there weren't pet stores more people would have to look for proper breeders, research their preferred pet, or even adopt since there's animals of all kinds on petfinder needing homes. Large mills (for all types of animals) would find it much harder to survive.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I don't like petstores at all. I have yet to see one that isn't doing something drastically wrong - whether that be keeping an animal in the wrong size cage (too small), at the wrong temperature (which can mean death for reptiles), on deadly substrates, crammed in with others of vastly difference species, sick lizards and snakes, etc.
I've seen birds with open sores and growths, grossly over grown claws and beaks, sitting in their own filth. Rodents get abused in all sorts of ways because no one cares about them either. But this is all ok because a store doesn't sell "puppies or kittens".

If there weren't pet stores more people would have to look for proper breeders, research their preferred pet, or even adopt since there's animals of all kinds on petfinder needing homes. Large mills (for all types of animals) would find it much harder to survive.

I even hate the word "store" - If anything it should be pet "shop" ...To answer the OP's question, yes, a pet shop should be responsible for educating the buyer. That's my take. Otherwise they are simply profiteers. Anyway a "store" is where things are stored/stockpiled and animals are not things to be stockpiled.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Most reptiles are not social at all. Your stepmother should have known this if she already had one and knew better. Aside from that, it is recommended that you don't put new reptiles together (say for breeding) or their cages near each other until a proper quarantine - accepted length is 90 days. (and in the case of bearded dragons, you test for adenovirus before breeding because it is sexually transmitted and does terrible things to baby dragons) And never mix species. Only very experienced herp keepers can do this as it is hard to do correctly.
And that is my whole point... I think someone should have asked her if she had a habitat set up already, and about it. Once she said she had a reptile already living in there, they should have told her it wasn't going to work. I don't live with my parents, so I never got to see this new little guy. Probably a good thing though. I would have been sad. She isn't like me when it comes from animals... she has an empty tank, so she decides she needs to fill it. I just don't agree with the not educating the person before they buy.

There are lots of animals I want, but I don't have them right now because I would be unable to provide for them the way I want. Ferret is at the top of that list. I'm waiting until I know I will have time, energy, money, and space for it. Maybe I won't ever, so I won't ever have one, but that's okay too.

I will keep that in mind, pet SHOP

Be safe.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

Anyway a "store" is where things are stored/stockpiled and animals are not things to be stockpiled.
There's little difference to those selling - how else would one be able to starve an animal to death if it is no more than a thing with a $ sign attached to it.
They don't want to tell you that your new $10 pet needs a $300 set up or that it could be host to all sorts of parasites due to how poorly it's been kept so far (and needs a vet visit that can cost you another $100-200). They won't make that sell. A bit like a used car salesmen, they don't want to tell you what all is or has been wrong with the vehicle you're buying.
And often they can't tell you. They don't know the proper care themselves!

Pet supply stores are the places that don't sell animals. Don't confuse those with stores like Petsmart or Petco that do.

I don't believe that those that sell animals should be banned out of business. But as pet lovers we need to set the example and not support them in any way or form (and urge others to discontinue selling animals).
Has anyone ever been in a PetSense? or another pet supply only store? It's very nice. That's my definition of pet lovers opening a store for pets - instead of for people and profit.