I Can’t Afford Kittens, But My Cat Just Gave Birth.

geckogf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few months ago, one of my cats ended up getting pregnant before my dad and I could get her spayed.
I thought I could care for the mama and her kittens and I did everything I could, but long story short, the whole litter contracted a virus and my dad could not afford to take them to the vet and so they all passed. This experience really took a toll on me, I was distraught. After this situation, I felt even more strongly about getting her spayed the moment my dad and I could afford it.
But, she ended up getting pregnant again before we could afford the procedure. I knew that we couldn’t care for her and the kittens, so I suggested giving her up to someone who can, perhaps a foster home or cat rescue group.
Before that could happen though, my cat gave birth, and now I am afraid.
My cat is incredibly protective of her kittens and will attack my other two cats on sight, meaning i have to keep them locked in another room away from the mama for their own safety. This isn’t good for them, as they don’t get much space to roam around.
I am just about to start a new job, and soon after, my freshman year of college. I have a lot on my plate right now and I know that mentally and emotionally, I cannot handle taking care of kittens for the next 6-8 weeks, and I am also deeply afraid of them passing away like the last litter did.
Moreover, my dad and I are in a very tricky place financially, and if any medical complications were to arise, I know for a fact that we can’t afford a vet bill.
Between financial concerns, the well-being of my other cats, the well-being of the mama and her kittens, and my own mental health, I am very stressed and have not a clue what to do.
Any advice would be great, thank you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Bless your heart for coming here!
Congrats, from the bottom of my heart on the new job, and college WOW!!
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Financial Aid for Pets

I'm thinking you can still contact a TNR group, or a no-kill shelter for direction. I realize the shelters are full, and you'd want to be very sure they are truly no-kill.

Hang in there - there will be other members who will weigh in for you :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

geckogf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Thank you so much! I will be searching for and contacting TNR groups in my area in the morning. Your advice is very much appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry no one else has come in to the discussion for you, --summertime and back to school etc makes it challenging sometimes.
Let me/us know what transpires, I'll be thinking of you! :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There may be a group in the area that will have you "foster" the kittens, paying for their food, litter, and vet care, and then take them when they're old enough to be adopted. Of course I doubt they'll be able to take in all the cats, really it's much better for an adult cat to stay in the same home. They may be able to assist with spaying the mama cat too.

Have you been able to find a low-cost spay clinic nearby? Keep her indoors until she's spayed. If one of your other cats is an unneutered male, keep her away from him too. I know cats are slippery rascals, but I'm sure you don't want this happening again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry I wasn't here yesterday to answer you, but if you will let me know (by PM if you prefer) where you are, I'll be happy to do some searching for groups in your area that can perhaps take the kittens AND assist with spaying Mama before she gets pregnant yet again.