I call him a mystery breed

carouseless

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted my cat from a previous owner who found him loitering alone as a kitten, and I have always wondered what his breed is. I initially thought he was a ragdoll as he looked like the image search results of "black ragdoll" and he flops as I pick him up. However I soon learned that ragdolls only have blue eyes, so he must be a mix. What do you think?

IMG_1236.jpg IMG_0861.JPG IMG_0847.JPG
20210201 Headshot_HumanKind3782.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carouseless

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is beautiful. Probably not a specific breed since most non pedigree cats are either domestic shorthair or domestic longhairs. I think yours would be considered a long hair.
Thank you! He is definitely very handsome. Yes, domestic longhair is the breed indicated by our vet. I am wondering what other breeds create his mix as we get very different opinions.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats aren’t of any particular breed ancestry (I.e. not a mix of breeds), unlike dogs (statistics vary, but the most consistent one seems to be that under 5% of cats are pedigree, and I doubt there’s more than 1 or 2% that are true mixes, as designer breeding never took off with cats), so as a solid black longhair with no drastic traits linking him to a specific mutation or unusual feature present in a breed (e.g. curly ears, rexed fur, short snout), he’s most likely not got any breed ancestry, and just resembles your local landrace of cats. Doesn’t make him any less special, though — he’s a gorgeous cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carouseless

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most cats aren’t of any particular breed ancestry (I.e. not a mix of breeds), unlike dogs (statistics vary, but the most consistent one seems to be that under 5% of cats are pedigree, and I doubt there’s more than 1 or 2% that are true mixes, as designer breeding never took off with cats), so as a solid black longhair with no drastic traits linking him to a specific mutation or unusual feature present in a breed (e.g. curly ears, rexed fur, short snout), he’s most likely not got any breed ancestry, and just resembles your local landrace of cats. Doesn’t make him any less special, though — he’s a gorgeous cat!
Thank you for this! This is the first time I'm hearing about those statistics, I always thought cats were identified with a certain breed or two.